Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mercer MX3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mercer MX3

I was browsing knives today, considering a 6 inch chefs knife, also considering a vegetable cleaver. I am satisfied with my mercers I have now, I have 2, but they are the lowest price point. I thought I would maybe slowly start trying to add a step higher knife, for me at least. I thought I should look at the Mercer brand. I was a bit surprised by the investment into the MercerMX3, they compare price wise with some better name mid level knives. I really do not know the brands other then likely the top 3-5. What say you?

I have a few of the Mercer M226 8" chef's knives and I really like them. They are cheap ($20), feel good in hand, stay pretty sharp and also sharpen well. they come in different colors, too, which is handy when working with different meats. i like more expensive knives but they never seem to last like my cheapies. The pricey ones get dropped or put in the dishwasher or are used as a utility knife if I don't keep them locked away and when they are locked away i just forget to use them.

i bought my Mercer knives at Chef's Toys, which is local to me. they have an online store as well.

Comment

• latenight71
      latenight71 commented
      Editing a comment
      I forgot to mention that the M226 is part of the Millennia series.

Color-coded handles for dedicated use applications to assist in better food safety handling practices. Perfect component of a HACCP system.

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for your enthusiasm for them. I have the 10 inch millennia bread,and a 10 inch chefs knife and am supper happy with them, i personally like them better then victorinox, and would like to reward them for my satisfaction and buy a few of their upper level knives as I can afford. They have even shared a few of my knife reviews on the bread knife. But, I was Leary that maybe they make. Great low cost knife, but not a good high level for them, at least.

I honestly cant talk much to different brands. I have had a full set of calphalon katana series for the last 13 years and they are still going strong. They were part of my wedding registry and honestly at the time i knew nothing about knives so maybe i lucked out.

i dont know if they still make that line or if the quality has changed but i know the ones i have are serious work horses and theyve held up.

Comment

Yu Kurosaki Gyuto. Jump into the Japanese steel pool.

Comment

• latenight71
        latenight71 commented
        Editing a comment
        The Mercer Millennia series is high-carbon Japanese steel. other Mercer models use high-carbon German steel. The Mx3 is super stainless steel core with high-carbon stainless steel outer.

• Old Glory
        Old Glory commented
        Editing a comment
        latenight71 sounds like quality! VG-10 is excellent steel.
        Last edited by Old Glory; May 9, 2021, 06:40 PM.

tons of choices. I'm into Japanese knives so... I'm biased, but what I usually tell people thinking about knives is this... First, get something that's comfortable for you to use in the cooking you do. Second, get something you can sharpen or have sharpened easily. And third, think about something that holds an edge so you don't have to sharpen it all the time.

Some of this, too, depends on the price range you're looking at.

Comment

• latenight71
        latenight71 commented
        Editing a comment
        The Mercer Millennia series fits that description, at least for me. I used these knives when I was taco carting and would chop 20-50 lbs. of carne asada and it would still slice a tomato with ease. i really abused these knives and gave them infrequent sharpenings except for hitting a steel before each use but they always held up. i also toss them in the dishwasher. these knives replaced my more expensive name brand set we had for years and are my go to knife for everything.

• latenight71
        latenight71 commented
        Editing a comment
        Also, can't beat the price with the quality you get - $19.50!

Mercer is a trusted name when it comes to professional cutlery and the Mercer M22608RD 8-inch Millennia Chef's Knife is no different. This Chef's Knife features a high carbon stain-resistant steel blade and red non-slip santoprene / polypropylene handle with textured finger points and protective finger guard. It's vers

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here