Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Holt Cow, Batman! How Many Instant Pot Versions Exist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas Larry
    replied
    We got the 8qt Zavor Deluxe recommended by America’s Test Kitchen. No regrets except a slightly clunky (to me) interface. Have made lots of stuff in it. I make yogurt regularly. Don’t look for golden crispy anything though.

Leave a comment:

• UncleSpike
    commented on 's reply
    Agreed. Haven't figured out the rice function yet. Never turns out...

• treesmacker
    replied
    Oh man... like you say, so many choices. We bought ours before wifi, or sous vide, or air fryer, or plus versions existed. It is just the basic 6 quart 7 in 1 version. This has been more than adequate for the two of us. I can't really imagine the advantage of a wifi version; it is pretty much set it and forget it, so why wifi?

Good luck with your choice!

Leave a comment:

• rickgregory
    replied
    I'm an IP contrarian. I make stew the old-fashioned way in a dutch oven and have an Anova for SV. The one thing I would use them for is pressure cooking and... not something I do. For rice... stovetop or, if you cook it a lot a rice cooker.

Leave a comment:

• ssandy_561
    replied
    I do not have one but you might want to check Amazon right now. I know they have a lot of them around 40% off.

Leave a comment:

• UncleSpike
    replied
    We bought the 8 quart with lots of options. Wish it was bigger.
    Wife made lots of yogurt with it - works great.
    I've used the sous vide function a few times, but i loosely prop the lid on so it stays at a more consistent temp. That's my only sous vide option right now.
    I love it for making stews and soups. Great machines - especially for what they cost!

Leave a comment:

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
    replied
    Only 2 of us and I don't remember if ours is 8 or 10 quart but I know there have been a few times where I wish it was bigger. Especially when making bone broth or stock. Used to make a lot of pulled pork with it, and there were times when the pork would fill it... but for most meals it doesn't matter how big. I heard the sous vide on the IPs is pretty much worthless because it's not consistent. We have the smart model, and while all the programs seem useful, in reality almost every recipe we do uses the meat/stew button and the only difference is time. I've used the rice button twice and it did a good enough job. They are great devices though!

Leave a comment:

• Willy
    started a topic Holt Cow, Batman! How Many Instant Pot Versions Exist?

Holt Cow, Batman! How Many Instant Pot Versions Exist?

My better half and I are considering buying an Instant Pot, hopefully this Black Friday. But, WOW, there are so many versions. What to choose?! Our thoughts are:

1) Bigger is "better"....so an eight quart model seems like of good choice-- more flexibility. There are just two us, so are there disadvantages to a larger size for a couple? We would definitely make large pots of things like chili and stew, but what about a small batch of, say, rice or some such?
    2) Are there any features that are, for most, superfluous? For example, we already have a sous vide with which to make yogurt.
    3) Anything we've missed?

Thanks for any and all comments/suggestions/recommendations and HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!! Stay safe all!

ETA: I mean, the "Classic", the "Duo Nova", the "Duo Evo Plus, the "Ultra"... We're definitely not interested in WiFi capability, nor probably in air frying (willing to listen to contrary opinions), and, right now, the eight quart Duo Evo Plus looks good at $90, including shipping, but any comments are mucho welcome.

Last edited by Willy; November 25, 2020, 04:50 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here