Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have the 10 Quart Instant Pot Duo Nova?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have the 10 Quart Instant Pot Duo Nova?

This happens every year. I'm diligently doing my Xmas shopping online and something that I "need" pops into my field of view. This year it's the big 10 Quart Instant Pot Duo Nova. $149 but with a Bed Bath and Beyond 20% discount coupon it drops to $119.

Why do I want it? Because Instant Pot soups are so delicious and easy. But l like to make big batches of soup and freeze the leftovers in serving size portions for husband's lunch, for example, after we both have enjoyed a dinner or two of soup. Because when the kids come to visit, I have to run my 6 quart Instant Pot twice to make enough soup for the crowd. Last year my stepdaughter made soup for 6 in her 6 quart IP and didn't have enough to go around. She didn't realize it until she was dipping out the soup into bowls. She was so embarrassed.

Anyone have one?

If you don't, either help me rationalize the purchase or talk me out of it. Otherwise it may be delivered amongst the other legit Xmas gift packages that will be arriving next week. Yikes. If I order it, I'll have to start working right away on my rationalization speech to hubby.

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; December 7, 2019, 09:13 AM.

I've been through similar decisions myself a few times, and I always come back to the realization that I have never wished that I had a smaller grill, utility trailer, deck, etc. Just remind Mr. fzxdoc of that time his daughter ran out of soup before everybody got served!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve R. View Post
      ...Just remind Mr. fzxdoc of that time his daughter ran out of soup before everybody got served!
      Sounds like a good rationalization, Steve R. . I may have to use it. Thanks.

Kathryn

Comment

It’s not about need,,,,It’s about WANT !
        and takin’ care of the family
        Cooker for every occasion I say

Comment

Buy it, you deserve it....
          Plus your husband will elated he took the time to buy it and wrap it for you for Christmas.

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment

Make a gift for HIM. ... then offer to use it so he doesn’t have to.

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Good plan!

I have a 12 qt stovetop pressure cooker for that reason. I don’t know there were electrics that big and cheap now.

Comment

I have the 6 & 8 QT Ninja Foodi and they are awesome. I appreciate being able to use it as an air fryer as well as a pressure cooker. I even have the grill grates and have done some burgers, steaks, and chicken cutlets when I'm not feeling like battling the snow- Not sure if the one you're looking at has the dry heat capabilities but if you have the space these devices get my nod regardless.

Comment

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.

Kathryn

The thing about pressure cookers is that you can only fill them 2/3 full. So a 6 quart Instant Pot is only capable of making 4 quarts of whatever. That's why the 10 quart one is so attractive to me. Between 6 and 7 quarts of volume means I can make nearly the amounts of soups, etc. that I normally do in my stock pot.

Polarbear777 , that 12 quart stovetop pressure cooker must be a beast. I'm impressed.

Kathryn

Comment

• Polarbear777
              Polarbear777 commented
              Editing a comment
              It’s probably smaller than the 10qt instant pot because it’s just a pot with a gasket lid. No insulation no electronics. Of course you do have to baby sit it while using.

• surfdog
              surfdog commented
              Editing a comment
              It was for that reason that I purchased an 8-quart. It gives me the volume of my Dutch ovens.
              If I was cooking for a "crowd" I would definitely look at the 10-quart.

I have the new 8 Qt Instant Pot Duo & Crisper (air fryer lid with roasting/baking inserts). Made beef stew last night that would have served 6 with large bowls easily. Watch out for those BBAB coupons. They have started to disallow using them on certain items - we wanted a toaster oven, but all of them have "no discount coupons allowed". You need to check it carefully on the price.

Comment

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              I just checked. BB&B will honor the 20% off coupon for the 10 quart Instant Pot Duo Nova. Yippee.

K.

I would love to be able to make a much larger pot of stock at a time. That way I could take half of it and reduce it to demi glace or glace de viande. With my 6qt pot I can only get 2qts of stock at a time. That's a decent amount of stock to have on hand, but not enough to reduce any down.

Comment

• Thunder77
              Thunder77 commented
              Editing a comment
              I have the 8 quart, and I stuffed a carcass from a 20lb turkey into it. I think I went over 2/3 full, but no harm was done.

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              When you take up so much volume with that carcass, Thunder77 , in the 8 quart model, how much stock do you get?

Kathryn

• Thunder77
              Thunder77 commented
              Editing a comment
              fzxdoc , Kathryn, I mis-spoke. I had everything but the two drumstick bones in there,. But still, it was a lot of bones. I got around 3quarts of stock out of it. The water level was 2/3, but some of the bones were above that. Not by much.

Since we have 2 houses, I could probably justify getting the 10qt for home and take the current 6qt to the vacay house.

Comment

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh goody, a comrade in crime. Maybe we'll both end up with the 10 quart one before the week is out.

K.

I just found it advertised on sale at Kohl's (we have one in town) for $119 plus you earn $10 in Kohl's Cash. I might just have to do it.

Comment

• Dewesq55
              Dewesq55 commented
              Editing a comment
              The sale ends tomorrow, so I've gotta "you know what" or get off the "you know where."

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post
            I just checked. BB&B will honor the 20% off coupon for the 10 quart Instant Pot Duo Nova. Yippee.

K.

Cool! And it ships for free.

Comment

So, SWMBO just signed off on buying the 10 qt! She didn't even put up a fuss. She's a sucker for a deal

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here