Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best MultiCooker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agreed, the advertised n-function stuff is mostly marketing piffle. I suppose slow cooking is useful for some people if it's well-executed (though I maintain pressure cooking >> slow cooking, time constraints allowing) I've long mostly looked for design elements that make the pressure cooking experience better and easier.

I like my Breville's single-button access to reducing mode (high, medium, and low), which I often use after pressure cooking to reduce liquids, though I'm not even sure this was one of their advertised functions. I believe the saute mode functions pretty similarly on the Instant Pot in practice, tho it seems a bit more user-friendly on the Breville (probably the only thing it does better, if marginally so). I can't say I missed much vis-a-vis accessories with the Breville. The size of the inner pot and functions were similar enough that most accessories I might care about worked fine. Still, the newer design and technology in this new InstaPot, plus the better price point make it a no-brainer now.

Though I own a bunch of Breville appliances for various reasons, I'm also not convinced their reliability or customer support is any better than Instant. Instant's much higher sales volume in this space and greater reliance on this niche gives me a bit more confidence that they've worked out likely manufacturing and design defects.

Comment

We have a Fagor (now renamed Zavor, which you mention). My wife is a huge fan, and would buy another tomorrow if it went down. She likes the slow cooker feature better than IP's, based on widespread reviews at the time she bought it a couple years ago. We've done a lot with it, and I've been surprised how versatile and how good it is. I expected it to be a cupboard queen, but it makes regular appearances on the menu. Definitely recommend.

Comment

Ninja

Comment

Ninja Foodi. I have the 6.5 qt version. Bakes, roasts, air crisps, pressure cooker, slow cooker. Gets up to pressure much faster than Instant Pot. (I have two, so I know.) Air crisp makes the BEST potatoes. Used every function and I love it.

Comment

I ended up getting an IP 10 in 1. Used it to make stock, Pho, braise, stews, and a bunch of other stuff. Best thing is making steel cut oatmeal in 10 minutes instead of constantly stirring for 30.

I definitely prefer traditional methods but if time is short it is great.

Still trying to figure out beans.

Comment

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Beans are a challenge, because each is different with respect to the size, toughness of the skins, and the density of the interior. I find I have to pressure cook them a whole lot longer than most IP recipes say to get the entire batch creamy on the inside while not bursting out of their skins.

I pressure cook all my beans in an effort to ensure that any unwanted compounds in them are well tamed by the higher heat. Where I live, water boils at 206°. The IP gets up to 250°ish.

Kathryn
              Last edited by fzxdoc; November 21, 2021, 08:02 AM.

We've had an off brand instant pot (Black Friday sale at Sam's Club type of thing) for several years as SWMBO really really wanted one because our kids had one. She has never used it. I've used it a dozen times as a rice cooker, and it EXCELS at that, getting rice done perfectly every time. I intent do try using it for some meals over the winter, just for kicks. I also convinced SWMBO to give up the oldest of 5 crock pots (she loves those things) when I showed her the IP has a slow cooker mode and lid.

Comment

I just looked on the Cooks Illustrated review, and Zavor has slipped from Highly Recommended to Recommended.

I'm with Dewesq55 , find the electric pressure cooker with the features that you like which also comes closest to 15 psi.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here