Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best MultiCooker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mosca
    replied
    I read the Cook’s Illustrated review. That Zavor sounds like a nice unit.

I use my Instant Pot for the best braised short ribs I’ve ever had. I don’t think I’ve ever made anything else in it. It sits in the corner of the counter taking up space.

Leave a comment:

• klflowers
    replied
    Instant pot Duo 6 quart here. It is pretty handy. Made some pretty good red beans and rice a few weeks ago, it is a beast on boiled eggs, made a butt in it last week. I haven't tried any of the competitors, but as mentioned earlier in the thread, there are a bunch of aftermarket accessories made for the IP that puts it over the top IMO.

Leave a comment:

• Bkhuna
    replied
    I have a 6 and an 8 qt. InstantPot. I use them a couple of times a week.

The IP is a bust as a slow cooker. It can't take the place of a good crock pot. Neither can a stove top pressure cooker. I have been happy overall using the IP. I only use the high pressure setting and manual timing. All the other stuff is piffle.

Saute function you ask? Yes, you can saute and then pressure cook, but the bottom of the pot is slightly domed and that keeps requisite oil from staying in most of the bottom. Sticking is an issue. Additionally, the surface area at the bottom of the IP is relatively small. I prefer to use a real saute pan and transfer the browned ingredients into the IP. Seriously, how long does it take to was an extra saute pan.

If I had to do it all over again I'd buy the IP.
    Last edited by Bkhuna; November 14, 2019, 01:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• parkerj2
    commented on 's reply
    2nd on this. why cook pasta or rice in it, when my pasta or rice is already DONE by the time the IP gets to pressure.

• Dewesq55
    replied
    Look around and read reviews. Serious Eats had a good comparative survey from a couple of years ago. Most of the bells and whistles are not all that useful. You mostly just use the Pressure Cook setting, and usually high pressure. For that reason, you might want to find the one that reached the highest maximum pressure and get that. Most electric pressure cooker (which a multicooker is) cont reach the pressure you can get from a manual cooker, but the enhanced safety and convenience are generally a good trade-off.

Leave a comment:

• Sam6687
    replied
    I love my Instant Pot, I haven't tried any of the other brands so I can speak to a true comparison but i think that most of them are probably about equal. I know there are diehard instant pot fanatics that cook absolutely everything in them. Even normal quick cooking things like pasta etc. I avoid those types of food in mine, it just doesn't seem to be worth the fuss to do it in the pot when the traditional method is just as fast and doesn't
    lead to potential errors (lumpy stuck together pasta for example). I focus on the types of things that would take all day int he crockpot like soups etc that i can make in an hour after work for example. It just gives me a lot more flexibility with dinner options after a long day at work. on average i would say mine gets used 2-3 times a week, not always dinner but occasional desserts too. I highly recommend it for cheesecakes.

Leave a comment:

• Old Glory
    commented on 's reply
    Yes exactly. We work all day and having the convenience of the Instant Pot would be nice.

• Old Glory
    commented on 's reply
    That was my thought as well. More support with the IP over other less popular brands.

• mgaretz
    replied
    Here are my thoughts, and I owned a Cuisinart version for years before switching to the InstantPot brand. (I own a 3 qt and an 8 qt)

First, don't worry about the recipes written for the InstantPot and not the others. 99.9% of the recipes just use the high or low pressure manual setting which they all can do the same.

Second, for me it was all about leveraging the brand name. By owning the main unit brand name (IP), you can get a ton of aftermarket accessories that are made to fit it - baskets etc. fit about everything, but having extra (and replacement) gaskets is much easier and less costly than the off brands.

Last, I found the actual InstantPot to be much better constructed than my Cuisinart though it never gave me any problems.

Leave a comment:

• parkerj2
    replied
    we've had an instant pot for 3 years or so. since before the craze started, really. It is very useful. I still prefer to braise things the old fashioned way, but sometimes when you want dinner in an hour, its amazing.

The BEST thing I've used it for is making stock. makes GREAT stock in about an hour or so. Not "traditional," but for cooking at home, its rich, gelatinous, and flavorful. makes a major difference in braises/soups/sauces. If mine broke, id buy a new IP just for making stock.

Leave a comment:

• Murdy
    replied
    I have a Magic Chef Multi. It's ok, but, Instant Pot is the most widely available one, so you will find more recipes written with it in mind, they work, but don't translate directly as the controls are a little different. Maybe if I was more experienced, I would not have any difficulties translating. I don't know if the same is true of the Zavor.
    Last edited by Murdy; November 14, 2019, 09:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Jim White
    replied
    When my old crock pot gave up the ghost, I got a standard Instant Pot. I used it for a few things. Several turned out well.One thing that worked well a time or two was making biryani. I also had a couple of failed biryani runs. The problem may have been that I worked from three or four different recipes and only a few magic combinations work, but I've drifted away from using it.

I will use it this evening, but only as a warmer. I'm making a pot of soup for a church dinner. Will cook the soup in my stock pot and then transfer to the Instant Pot for keeping it warm while serving.

I guess I'm just old fashioned and have the time to cook things the conventional way, so these devices just don't pull me in much. For folks with long work days away from the homefront, I see the appeal.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    Don't know anything about the Zavor or other brands, but I suppose all those are relatively the same, like a microwave, with various perks from one brand to another. One thing I know, the IP-style cooker is a great tool for sure. For a while I thought those gadgets were a fad, a gimmick, but I have been proven wrong they're the real deal. My wife loves our Instant Pot.

Leave a comment:

• Old Glory
    started a topic Best MultiCooker

Best MultiCooker

Hi my Wife has been hinting she wants a multicooker. I really don't know much about them. Both Cooks Illustrated and Consumer Reports rated the Zavor as the best. I will probably go with that unless the knowledgeable people here on this site have other suggestions or opinions.

My second choice would be an Instant Pot Wifi or Breville

Thanks!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here