Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pressure cooker pork butt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pressure cooker pork butt?

I'm thinking you could IP one of these and then finish it off with smoke, or the other way around. Pulled smoked pork in a couple-three hours.

Haven't looked it up yet, but I'll bet it's been done.

iirc, I think several folks here have done IP PBs, an will be here in no time, to provide some experienced answers.

So, I'm bettin yer right!

I both have an IP, an have never done any PBs in it, to date.

No prejudice, here; th need has simply never arisen, thus far...

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      I remember Open Pit, as well! Yum!

Haven't seen any, long time, but apparently they're still around...

Murdy klflowers

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones, Murdy target carries it. I am going to check and see if it is in the store if so i’ll be using some this weekend.

• Murdy
      Murdy commented
      Editing a comment
      I think Open Pit is widely available in the Midwest. As I recall, its one of the cheaper sauces available and kind of thin. I'm pretty sure I see it where I shop for groceries.

90 minutes and it will be amazingly good.
    We finish ours with a poly science smoke gun after it is pulled.
    I hate to admit but after several votes by family and friends the Pressure cooker pork butt has been the consistent winner.
    It is more moist and very flavorful.
    My only criticism is a lack of bark in the mix. But that is a light criticism.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      What do you think of that smoke gun - it's not the cheapest around?

• Cheef
      Cheef commented
      Editing a comment
      We have had it for 10 years or so. REALLY like it. Easy to use and the results are pretty astounding.

Did one in the winter, and for the sauce, I used Heinz Carolina Vinegar sauce. For -40 and I’m not going outside, it was darned good.

i suspect it would work better if you smoked it before, because cold meat takes in more smoke.

just my opinion.

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      I was thinking that, but also thinking that I didn’t want my IP permanently smelling smoky. Who knows. Were I to do it, I would smoke first.

Originally posted by Mosca View Post
    I'm thinking you could IP one of these and then finish it off with smoke, or the other way around.
    I'd go the other way around... smoke to bark, IP to finish.

I've done the shoulder in the IP, and then spread it out and broiled it, after saucing, per Melissa Clarke Perry of the NY Times. https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1018552-pressure-cooker-spicy-pork-shoulder

Might be paywalled. Sorry if so. But it was INSANELY good. If I were going to recreate with a BBQ flavor, it'd be a different cooking liquid and maybe blues hog original for the glaze. There would be some form of smoke in the liquid... like maybe liquid smoke, or smoked salt, or smoked paprika.
    Last edited by Potkettleblack; April 28, 2019, 02:11 PM.

Comment

• Buck Flicks
      Buck Flicks commented
      Editing a comment
      That's how I did my last pork butt (IP, pulled, spread, sauced, broiled.) It turned out well. I used liquid smoke and roasted garlic Better Than Boullion in the cooking liquid, then rubbed the butt with smoked paprika, cumin, chili powder, and S&P. It had a nice smoky flavor but was definitely missing smoker bark.

I'd be afraid if I put a smoked butt in the IP, it would ruin the butt-bark, since the IP relies on steam pressure for it's cooking prowess.

My new favorite word is butt-bark.

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Oddly, I found that I didn't miss bark on the recipe I linked, because it is crisped under the broiler, giving that textural contrast that bark provides.

• dubob
      dubob commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm liking this method already - easy peasy. Liquid smoke and Blues Hog (Smokey Mountain) sounds about right also. I have a pork butt in the freezer that may need some attention this weekend. 👍

I have several times smoked crock pot pulled pork after the fact, just put it in shallow pie pans and give it a good 30 min, or much more. Stir a time or 3. No bark, but 80% of the flavor. Easy when short on time!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Lovin this idea, Brother!
      Often short on time...

I think we have been infiltrated by terrorists!

Comment

IP pork is moist and delicious. Even when smoking one or two on the Yoder I still make one in the IP and mix them all when pulling.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Best of both worlds, sounds like...

• Thunder77
        Thunder77 commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s what I did for my last pork butt.

Last December we sold our house, bought a motor home and have been travelling the country. The oven sucks so I have done most of the cooking on the kettle. The in- laws have joined us for a week or so and for the first time we are in a campground that does not allow any ourdoor fires except propane!

I bought the only pork butt the local Walmart had. I was going to try it in the Insta Pot but it looked like I would be overloading it. I cut it up into five pieces. After rubbing them, I put two in the oven, which was actually very good at holding 225. Later I put the rest in the Insta Pot with onion and Dr. Pepper for 80 minutes.

There was a decent (not great) bark from the oven. I put them on top of the others, dug in with tongs so everyone got some of both. Although there was no smoke it was delicious and very moist. I reheated leftovers over high heat on the stovetop in cast iron. Nice and crispy and delicious! I will definitely do it this way again.

Comment

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        So you carry a kettle and charcoal? I have a small pellet grill but I am thinking I want to start carrying the kettle, but I am concerned about the charcoal smell. Which I guess would be OK if I thoroughly cleaned it before putting it on the RV.

• Ptrbve
        Ptrbve commented
        Editing a comment
        When We started out it was set up on a cargo tray that connects to the tailor hitch on the back of the Jeep. Long story short: I took it for a drag down the street. The lid is no longer round, it is scraped up and the plastic on one of the handles is mostly scraped off, but it is still ticking...

Now I take it apart when we move and stow it in a compartment under the MH. I clean it better than I used to, but I don't go crazy. No smell in the coach at all.

IP pulled pork also does great leftovers on a griddle. Turn it into pulled pork hash. Depending kn what you add to it it can breakfast lunch or dinner!

Comment

I guess this is a good a place to ask again.....has anyone tried the Cajun Express Smoker? Seems like about the only outcome but a lot more expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Potkettleblack View Post
          I'd go the other way around... smoke to bark, IP to finish.

I've done the shoulder in the IP, and then spread it out and broiled it, after saucing, per Melissa Clarke Perry of the NY Times. https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1018552-pressure-cooker-spicy-pork-shoulder

Might be paywalled. Sorry if so. But it was INSANELY good. If I were going to recreate with a BBQ flavor, it'd be a different cooking liquid and maybe blues hog original for the glaze. There would be some form of smoke in the liquid... like maybe liquid smoke, or smoked salt, or smoked paprika.
          I found Melissa Clark's recipe for Pressure Cooker Spicy Pork Shoulder over on this site: http://familydinnerjoint.blogspot.co...instalove.html

Scroll to the bottom for the recipe.

Your NYT link is paywalled, just as you suspected, Potkettleblack . Is this the same recipe?

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm curious enough to give it a try especially since you gave it an "INSANELY good" rating.

Kathryn
          Last edited by fzxdoc; May 22, 2019, 02:35 PM.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes... we broiled it in batches as we ate it through the week, and a bit further than they did. It should be crispy.

I think I wanted to do one with a more traditional BBQ flavor, with MMD for the smoke, pull, then like Blues Hog Original thinned out with sth (currently mixing with Black Swan original), for the broil to crisp.

We did it with sriracha, and it was really good.

Man, I am enjoyin this post, an alla th info, an suggestions...

Since so many of ya have done this, previous, an I will doubtless do this sometime soon, how much liquid are ya puttin in?

Also, quick release, or natural? Reckon it'd make little difference, with so resilient a hunk of meat, but tryin to learn me som IP techniques, an tricks.

An what kinds? Seen broth, Dr. Pepper an a few others, above.

(I'm in th intel gatherin stage of this operation. )

Cheef andy.wpg Buck Flicks Donw Potkettleblack grantgallagher

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            From what I understand, quick release makes meat tough.

I used about twelve onces of Dr. Pepper and quick releaed it.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks,Amigo!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here