Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everyone nuts over Instant Pot rice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everyone nuts over Instant Pot rice?

I don’t get it. I’ve never tried rice in my Instant Pot, but the reason not is because it always comes out perfectly on the stove, and then I only have to clean a pot, not the entire Instant Pot.

Whats the deal, is it that much better? Is rice really hard to make on the stove, and it’s only my 40+ years of experience that makes mine perfect all the time? (I make mine with chicken broth and chopped onion, just because.)

I did instant pot rice once and I wasn't that impressed. I followed the instructions that came with the pot, and I thought the rice was a little undercooked. It was just regular long grain rice. Next time maybe I'll add a little more liquid.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      You can do it using the preset which is probably calibrated for white rice. Or you can do it manually and dial in the perfect time for your particular rice and preference.

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      Attjack, I did it with the preset.

No, it's not hard to make on the stove but I prefer using the instant pot. Here's why. You can't burn the rice in the IP and it switches over to warming mode when the rice is ready. You don't have to watch the pot or adjust the heat. When it's done you only have one pot to clean (I rinse the lid but that's it).

Comment

• lemayp
      lemayp commented
      Editing a comment
      My wife manages to burn rice in the ip all the time. Oatmeal too...

I would say that if your rice is perfect, then why try anything else? Go with what works, man.

That being said, my sister in law makes her Mexican rice recipe in the Insta Pot and it is incredible. I don't know if that is the IP or the cook, but my guess is that it has a lot to do with the cook.

Comment

I've only done rice a handful of times, but I find it excels at making perfect sushi rice and longer cooked rice is great too because I don't have the chance to burn it. My personal preference is the microwave uncle bens wild rice or the minute rice for normal white stuff just for times sake, the taste is the same and texture is close enough to the longer properly cooked stuff to make it usually not worth my time.

Beans on the other hand, super time and space saver. Most varieties that usually require an overnight soak don't need it with a high pressure preparation and there is a major taste and texture difference between canned and fresh. I haven't found any beans that take longer than 30-45 minutes (1 hour with natural release)

Comment

Not so much. IP rice is just ok (it can be a bit gummy) but then we’ve been using a good dedicated rice cooker for a long time and it’s a tough act to follow.

Comment

• Donw
          Donw commented
          Editing a comment
          We too find it gummy. Went back to our old method too.

I have a cheap rice cooker that does just fine. The rice always comes out perfect. And I also use chicken broth instead of water and put in a tablespoon of butter too.

Comment

• JGrana
          JGrana commented
          Editing a comment
          I always use chicken stock when cooking rice. Just adds a bit more flavor.
          May goto is 1 cup Basmati rice cooked in 1 cup of chicken stock, 1/2 cup of coconut milk, 1/2 tsp Garam Marsala and a few whole cardamom seeds thrown in.

I usually do brown rice for 28 minutes manual settings high pressure and it’s perfect every time. Much less time than it used to take the rice cooker to make it.

I could see there being much less time advantage for white rice.

You can also bake brown rice for an hour, which guards against burning.

Comment

Wait! FireMan do you think this is a POLL!?!

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            An astute observation Hawk. We must commence with ending this pot thing or end the commencing of it, yes, so be it.

I guess I have just not bought into the instant pot thing. Not high on my list.

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            Do you consider a crock pot to be "fancy"? Pressure cookers are great as you know so what's not to like about having one with a timer? I guess change is hard for some folks.

• johnec00
            johnec00 commented
            Editing a comment
            Missed your response Attjack I'm not sure what crock pots have to do with this discussion, but I have 3. Small, medium and large. All 3 have a little switch thingy that says off, low, and high. Work great! As to your other comment, if not wanting to spend a C note± on something that has absolutely no value to me is being opposed to change, then color me proudly opposed to change.

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            johnec00 Because you can replace a crock pot, rice cooker, and traditional pressure cooker with one. You can saute and brown meat, cook bacon etc. so it can be a one pot solution in a lot of situations. It's obviously not for you but I feel it's an essential and very versatile appliance.

I did some Zatarains Jambalaya rice mix in the IP and it was absolutely the best I've ever made. That was my first and only rice cook and I'm a believer. Quick and easy and done perfectly.

Comment

Rice is one of the best for me in the IP. Push the button or set it for 12min and you are good to go. A 1 part rice and 2 part water ratio works well for most grains. My Rice cooker has not been used since I get the IP.

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              1:2? I go 1:1. I never owned a rice cooker. Probably never will now that I have an IP.

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              And I do 1.5/1 water/rice. I like to melt a bit of butter first, add the rice and use the browning setting until almost transparent. Then add the water and a little salt. Set for 3 minutes on high, natural release (about 7 minutes). Open the cover and mix it up. Always great!

Not a fan of rice in the instant pot. At all

Comment

I have a basic rice cooker that was a gift to me when I lived in Japan. My Japanese neighbor couldn't believe I made rice in a saucepan. That was 34 years ago and that little cooker is still going strong. For the type of rice I use the most, it makes perfect rice. The benefit is that I will make a pot of rice in the morning and it will hold the rice warm until dinner without drying out.

I also have two instant pots and one of them gets used a couple of times a week. I just don't do rice in the IP.

Comment

I haven't had good luck with rice (Jasime, Texmati, Basmati, Jasmati) in the IP. It comes out dry and stuck together, and not in a good way. My stove top method is near-flawless and though it takes longer, is just as easy as the IP.

I am sure it's because I haven't had the patience to figure out the ideal technique for my IP and the type of rice used. Everything else I've done in the IP has turned out great.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here