Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pressure Cooker (and IP) Risotto Primavera with Broiled Shrimp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So ... here's a recipe that I cooked up a few years ago and modified recently for the Instant Pot Duo 8-qt that we received last Christmas.

MBM – Last modified 5 April 2019

Ingredients:
    • 2 Tbsp. olive oil plus 1 Tbsp. butter
    • 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
    • Mushrooms, brushed clean and sliced (not chunks)
    • 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced into medium strips
    • 1 yellow zucchini or crookneck squash, quartered then medium sliced crosswise (substitute frozen peas if necessary)
    • 1 1/4 cups Arborio rice
    • 1/2 cup dry white vermouth (or dry white wine if vermouth not available)
    • 3 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth for vegetarian version)
      • Reserve any extra broth for later reheating.
      • Note: Ratio of rice to liquid is always 1 part rice to approx. 2.4 parts liquid by volume.
    • 1 lb. medium shrimp, in shell and deveined (leave shrimp out for purely vegetarian version)
    • 1/2 cup Parmigiano Reggiano cheese (grated)
    • Balsamic Vinegar, good quality
    • Old Bay Seasoning

Instructions:
    • Brine thawed shrimp in ice water 20 min. (2 TBSP kosher salt + 4 TBSP sugar per 6 cups water).
    • Dry, then in a bowl, coat the brined shrimp with olive oil, season generously with Old Bay, and allow to marinate in the refrigerator for 15 to 20 minutes.
    • Broil shrimp, turning as needed until done on grill or in oven. Place in freezer for 15 minutes to stop cooking. Remove, peel, and cut into bite-size pieces if desired.
    • Sauté | More Preheat the pressure cooker for searing.
    • Add olive oil and butter and allow to heat until shimmering.
    • Add the onion and stir until softened.
    • Add the mushrooms and stir until starting to brown.
    • Season with approx. 1 tsp. kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste before adding rice.
    • Add the rice and stir until the grains first become translucent and then opaque again.
    • Add in the vermouth or wine and stir until it is completely evaporated.
    • Add the bell pepper and stir until lightly sautéed.
    • Add the squash and stir until lightly sautéed.
    • Add the broth and stir (and scrape) to make sure no grains are stuck to the sides of the cooker.
    • Pressure Cook | High Close and lock the lid in place and heat on high until pressure builds.
    • Cook Time 6 min above 4000 ft. elevation; 5 min 2000-4000 ft.; 4 min below 2000 ft.
    • Quick Release Turn off the heat and quickly release the pressure. (Shake gently to be sure)
    • Sauté | Less Stir to thicken (if needed) over medium heat, then stir in shrimp (or keep separate and add to each bowl as desired when serving).
    • Add the grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese and stir until completely incorporated.
    • If necessary, season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
    • Rice should be fairly runny and creamy … not dry … and it will continue to thicken. Add more chicken stock if necessary before serving or reheating. Serve with good balsamic vinegar.
    NOTE: This recipe was developed at fairly high altitude (6300 ft. or 1920 meters). I stand by the 6 minutes needed at my location but the lower altitude times are guestimates based on various articles and/or recipes that I've seen. If you live down where there is actually enough oxygen to breath, you may need to adjust a bit.

In the IP ... all prepped, sauteed, and ready to seal for pressure cooking:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IP Risotto 1.JPG Views:	1 Size:	251.0 KB ID:	660862

Just about ready to serve:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IP Risotto 2.JPG Views:	1 Size:	291.7 KB ID:	660863

In the bowl:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IP Risotto 3.JPG Views:	1 Size:	288.1 KB ID:	660864
    Last edited by MBMorgan; April 7, 2019, 11:50 AM.

Marvelous, that really looks so so good.
    Like the option of vegetable broth for vegetarians

Comment

Wow, what a great recipe. Thanks, MBMorgan !

Kathryn

Comment

Thanks, Kathryn ( fzxdoc ) and holehogg . FWIW, the recipe is very flexible. I've substituted scallops for the shrimp, made it with 1/2 shrimp and 1/2 scallops. One of the days I'll probably use leftover chicken or rib meat or beef. Also, if you don't have (or like) the yellow crookneck squash, you can substitute any mild-flavored veggie like zucchini, green peas, sugar snaps, shelled edamame, etc., and still get great results.

Comment

That looks so good. Now i just need the IP.

Comment

Dayum, this looks / sounds so delish, Brother!

Comment

i know this discussion is bit old but i just want some suggestions regarding your experience
              I was Looking for the best garage Door Openers and some other issues related to their installation so i found this discussion.I want some suggestions that which will be best pressure cookers 2019?

Comment

samried , we just bought the DUO60 Instant Pot and like it. However we just got it and are in the learning stage. It gets good reviews and is simple to use. Hope this helps you. So far the best and simplest oatmeal and boiled eggs ever. Smoked a pork roast and finished it in the IP--was also good.
                Last edited by Skip; July 6, 2019, 06:01 AM.

Comment

samried You won't regret getting an Instant Pot Duo 60. Most recipes are written for that size. It makes delicious food and is reliable, in my experience.

Kathryn

Comment

Sounds great.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here