Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Instant Pot and I are not destined for Instant Pot greatness..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, first run with the Instant Pot was a bust. Used a short rib recipe from SmittenKitchen: https://smittenkitchen.com/2018/02/k...sed-short-ribs with a couple minor variations.

The recipes on that site are usually pretty solid. The recipe only calls for 35 minutes for the meat and then 3 minutes for the vegetables. Neither was anywhere near enough time. The ribs were cooked but still weren't tender and falling apart like they should be. And the vegetables weren't cooked properly.

We will probably give it another shot or two but we weren't impressed with the first go. Would have been much better cooking this in a dutch oven in the oven.

Comment

Frozen Smoke a couple of things cause this in my experience.

1. Not deglazing after sautying. Stuff stuck to the bottom will overheat and trigger the "burn" sensor.

2. Mixing in a thick sauce. For example, if you were making chili from scratch you should add the stock then tomato paste on top but DO NOT mix it together. A sauce that is too thick will spend too much time heating from the bottom up and trigger the burn sensor. Your chili in a can may have ended up too thick after mixing. Try it again and just layer on top.

the burn notice is a just the pot detecting a certain temp or above at the plate.

hope this helps

Comment

JoeSousa That's a pretty elaborate recipe for a first cook...asian pear, mirin, daikon, 8 peeled garlic. I mean props for the effort but I'd just recommend start with something simple to get a feel for things.

I've cooked brisket, ribs and pork butt in the IP and the recipes all called for natural release of 10-25 minutes. Not sure if that was the problem here but perhaps picking up a book with the "Approved by Instant Pot" seal is the way to go?

I saw a book at Costco, I think it was called "5 ingredients or less IP" or something to that effect. I'm lazy so that's what I look for...throw some stuff in there for quick weeknight meals. If I have to spend alot of prep time it's going in the Le Creuset.

Comment

• JoeSousa
          JoeSousa commented
          Editing a comment
          Well, we ditched the daikon and used potatoes and only used 4 cloves of garlic. The sauce itself was very flavorful but that flavor didn't translate to the meat well. Overall the dish was kind of bland.

But beyond the flavors the textures weren't what we wanted. We are definitely going to give it another shot with some other recipes but this was the one my wife wanted to start with.

• Buck Flicks
          Buck Flicks commented
          Editing a comment
          This was my experience with my sauce, too. It didn't reduce well. It was more like a broth than a glaze.

22 minutes for barley. Best time ever, and no fuss! Just set and walk away.

Comment

We have one and I like it. However, I don't get complicated with it. It is a bean machine for sure.

I don't think I've ever used any of the automatic buttons and it has a lot. I'm still trying to figure out what porridge is. Do you harvest it or shoot it? Maybe it is some kind of partridge.

Comment

We live full time in our motor home and use the Pot a good bit when weather keeps me from cooking outside. As others have said, it is a mean bean machine and soups and stews work well too.

Still would rather cook outside smoking/grilling, but some days the IP makes things simple. For a good book on IP recipes, I like Dinner in an Instant by Melissa Clark. Her Cuban Pork recipe is seriously good, just sayin'.

Comment

Frozen Smoke , you may want to read here about what causes the "Burn" error message to appear on your Instant Pot:

https://www.paintthekitchenred.com/i...-burn-message/

FWIW I've never gotten a burn message but perhaps it's because I have an older model that does not show that message. I've never really burned anything yet--the bottom food has been more browned but never burnt. The biggest thing for me is to make sure the pot is completely deglazed after using the Saute function.

And for other solutions to potential IP problems, this article is really good:

https://www.paintthekitchenred.com/1...to-solve-them/

Sometimes it just takes inhaling a deep breath, squaring the shoulders, hiking up the big-person britches and giving it another go.

I hope you're not so discouraged that you won't try again. Best of luck!

HTH,
              Kathryn
              Last edited by fzxdoc; February 23, 2019, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here