Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I ordered one of these million in one things aka Instant Pot..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Frozen Smoke View Post
    Yep you are right fzxdoc and had I read the manual I would have known that before I started but that would have taken all the suspense out of it right? So now with that being said I could have prepared this dish in the same amount of time and maybe even less than what the Instant Pot did so for this dish the only advantage I see is it's all done in one pot. Otherwise I would have browned the hamburger and sauteed the veggies cooked down the beef broth and added the tomatoes in one skillet. While I was doing this I would have had the pasta cooking in another pot. When done combine the pasta into the skillet. Done.

So I would have had to wash the skillet that's it. So this recipe wasn't a dish that really makes the Instant Pot show it's value. We will be giving it another go I'm sure.
    For sure, Frozen Smoke , from a time viewpoint, it doesn't make sense to make some dishes like soups and sauces in an Instant Pot, if the only goal of using a pressure cooker is to save time. However, a pressure cooker concentrates flavors as it cooks, so your marinara sauce should have tasted like a stovetop-cooked one that had simmered for hours. To have more flavor in the same amount of time with the same amount of cleanup still stacks up as a win for the IP in my kitchen, at least.

Just as you have done for your smokers, you're going to discover what works best and tastes better in your IP than by other cooking methods. It will just take a little time, and you're going to have a lot of fun along the way. Enjoy!

Kathryn

Comment

• Frozen Smoke
      Frozen Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      You are right again Kathryn it's like any other tool and it has it purposes and will shine better in some areas than others. I had some more of the spaghetti bolognese for lunch yesterday and the flavor was excellent so I'm in no way disappointed in the outcome. I'm guessing it would have been better had I done it right the first time. Already perusing recipes for my next go around.

Frozen Smoke , if you like international recipes, give this Instant Pot-focused website a try. It's one of my faves. Her Authentic Red Beans and Rice is a solid go-to around our house, for example.

Paint the Kitchen Red website

Authentic Instant Pot Red Beans and Rice

Kathryn

Comment

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      fzxdoc Frozen Smoke The RB&R was the very first thing I made in my Instant Pot and it was fantastic!

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      I finally got around to making these. I usually use a recipe by Emeril that takes all day - these were right up there with Emeril's. Man are they good!

ddmcwhirter
    Attached Files

Comment

I love mine. In my experience anything you can do in a slow cooker you can do better and faster in a pressure cooker. If you have a slow cooker and are concerned about space, ditch your slow cooker. For us, it replaced our slow cooker and our rice cooker.

It makes stock/broth making so fast I have a continuous supply.

My wife, who's really the queen of one pot meals, loves it too.

I used to use it for yogurt, but I actually do that sous-vide these days.

Compared to some slow cooker stuff, you might have to go through a quick reduction at the end or use less water in the first place. But seriously, these little Swiss Army knives are great.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here