Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I ordered one of these million in one things aka Instant Pot..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adamcoe
    commented on 's reply
    Definitely not a fad. Super useful for rice, steaming veggies, eggs, you name it. I feel like I could cook for the rest of my life using just a sous vide machine, Instant Pot, and most importantly a charcoal grill. There are plenty of meals where I employ all three and it couldn't be more slick.

• mnavarre
    commented on 's reply
    Any 10" glass lid will work just fine, I just use the one from my stock pot.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
    commented on 's reply
    For us it was the same, the problem is... it gets used often enough that it has a permanent home on the counter. It's paid for it's use of space by time saved on tins of dinners. It's not a do it all device like some sell it, but what it does it does very well and better or close enough but faster than the things it replaced. The sauté function saves on a lot of dirty dishes and we have tried tons of new thing we would never have had time to do during the week before.

• troymeister
    replied
    I have been using the Instant Pot maybe once or twice a week since early December. I'd say it is a very useful tool. I have been making homemade yogurt with it and is by far better than store bought. Other dishes include Cochinita Pibil (similar to pork Carnitas) Beef Bourguignon, Pulled Pork, Chicken Stock, perfect hard boiled eggs, Jamaican Oxtail, and some real good beans.

As a tool I'd say it's pretty good if used properly and for the right job. Over all I am happy with it.

One more tool in the arsenal of cooking gadgets I probably don't need...But what the heck...It's fun...

Leave a comment:

• Murdy
    replied
    I got one for a gift that I've yet to put into service, but I guess it's about time I do. These things have been around for a while now and seem to be maintaining their popularity, so I think they are beyond the scope of fad.

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Hahahaha Craigar

• Craigar
    replied
    We use the instant pot at least once a week. Right now our regulars are: yogurt (1/2 gallon every other week), 3 minute eggs (at least once a week), charros (once or twice a month), pork carnitas (about once a month). This weekend if I can find the time I want to try a cheesecake.

Leave a comment:

• Craigar
    commented on 's reply
    FireMan we make yogurt every other week in ours. It is soooo easy and basically idiot proof as I am living proof of it.

• Frozen Smoke
    replied
    Lots of responses here thanks everyone I think you all have taken some of the learning curve out of using one of these and after reading some of the posts I'm a little more excited about getting this. The delivery has been delayed due to the outside weather here the last few days does not support human habitation! Weather just reported a minus 37 degrees and a minus 60 wind chill! Post office and schools have been shut down for 2 days. Wife just put a beef stew in the crock pot. Perfect for a day like today! She doesn't know about the Instant Pot yet. I'm going to let her decide on how useful she does or does not find it. It's her kitchen and and I just happen to use it now and again.

I did sneak my Finex cast iron pan on her glass top yesterday as I made a cap of rib eye in the house. She questioned right away. What are you doing with that?? Told her I need to put a sear on a steak. I got "the look" for about 3 seconds and then ok but be damn careful!! So one thing to come out of the cold weather is I broke the no cast iron on the new glass top barrier!!

Leave a comment:

• Donw
    commented on 's reply
    I hate to admit it here but the IP does produce a great moist pulled pork product. When we are in stock up the freezer mode I do one on the smoker and then one in the IP. I then combine them for the best of both worlds.

• adamcoe
    replied
    Instant Pots are the truth...amazing homemade mac and cheese in only slightly more time than it takes to make the stuff out of a box, absolutely the easiest way to make risotto and you don't have to watch the pot every single second, and perfect soft boiled eggs. I just bought the springform cake pan for it too, so I can try my hand at cheesecakes and whatnot. Worth every penny. Might even try (gasp!) pulled pork in it because I've heard amazing things and I wanna see how it stacks up to the smoker.

Leave a comment:

• treesmacker
    commented on 's reply
    Agree on the boiled eggs - that's how I do them from now on!

• Larry Grover
    commented on 's reply
    MBMorgan Didn't know a glass lid was available as an accessory. Thanks and great comments!

• JGrana
    replied
    I got one for Christmas (Ultra). I must say, it does a great job on soups, chili, beans, stews and rice. I even made yogurt with it - came out really good!

My wife is not a big "gadget" fan but she uses it at least twice a week. Im in the Northeast - cold this time of year. Stew and soup time. The IP does great.

What I like the most is that you can often start by sauteing the vegetables and/or meats right in the pot. Then, move to adding liquid and pressure cooking. Finally, the "warm" mode which kicks in automatically keeps the food just right.

I must say, I am impressed with the Instant Pot.

Done so far
    Pho - used Serious Eats method - in ~ 2 hours it was great, hands down
    Refried Beans - starting with dried beans to delish in like an hour!!!
    Chili - very good
    Pork Carnitas - came out great! Need to do the finished pork under broiler to get the crispy parts - but was a hit
    Butter Chicken - very nice!
    Whole Chicken Soup - cooking right now!

We shall see how much use it gets when the warmer, summer weather (finally) gets here ;-)

Leave a comment:

• Errol Wayne
    commented on 's reply
    If you like boiled eggs it's perfect. Doesn't matter how fresh they are peeling is a breeze!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here