Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Insta Pot Turkey Gravy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insta Pot Turkey Gravy

Did anybody make their turkey gravy in an insta pot? If you did, what's your recipe and how did it turn out?

I made what was essentially a double stock in my Breville Fast/Slow (which is basically an Instant Pot for folks who had a large gift cert to spend). I then made it into gravy following Meathead's process for creating granny gravy, because my wife is essentially a granny.

Start was: 1 lbs of ground turkey, 1 lbs of chicken wings. I chopped up the wing tips and the flats, and deboned the drums to a full lbs. This was hand mixed with a small quantity of soy sauce and a small quantity of honey (9g a piece). I put it in the pot, looked at what I had wrought, added a couple minced cloves of garlic, some dried shallots, some chicken stock and some white wine. Set on highest pressure (12 bars) for an hour and 20 minutes. Strained liquid and strained and pressed solids. Yielded about 2 cups of fat and double stock.

To make it into a full on gravy, rather than a jus, I melted 4 TBS of kerrygold and whisked 4 TBS of AP flour, which I then got a bit beyond amber roux, but not all the way to brown roux. I added enough of the double stock to yield something about gravy like, which I tasted, and then seasoned with a minced shallot, some minced thyme, sage, rosemary and oregano (the last of our small herb garden basically) and a bit of cab sauv, but not enough to turn it purple. Whisk, taste, salt and pepper to taste, and put in the boat (aka a soup bowl). Wife said it was of equal quality to her mom's gravy, but much more interesting than mom's.

I will accept "As good as mom's/Aunt D's" from my wife as the 5* seal of approval.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Great info, thanks, Brother!
      "As good as Mom's..."???
      Yeah, I'd say that is High Praise, indeed, Sir!

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      What’s funny is I think her mom is not that good in the kitchen, but living up to the memory of mom is perfection in my book. Her Aunt D, on the other hand, is an old school 50’s cooking savant.

Interested, as well...

Don't know bout no gravy, but seems a great likely way to break down carcass, parts, etc. into wonderful stock, with minimal hassle, an time investiture...

Then, I'd figger out if I can make good gravy in my IP...

Jus haven't tried it yet, certainly not negatin th possibility...

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      tbob4 - if you make rice or better, risotto, there's just no counter-argument to an electric PC.

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      There is one counter argument. Normal P-Cooker + induction burner. It works a bit better than an instant pot, apparently, and it’s what I would have done if I knew when I bought my Breville.

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      If you were to use stock as the liquid for the carcass rather than water, you’d be making double stock, which is gold on the level of Sous Vide purge.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here