Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Instant Pot vs Slow Cooker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instant Pot vs Slow Cooker

To follow up on BriggsBBQ post and take a slightly different tack. Is the IP a GOOD replacement for a slow cooker/crockpot? Our CP just died and, at this time, the CP application is the only function we'd use an IP for, though maybe time will change that.

Also, is the IP, minus an insert, easy to clean. Is getting water on the exterior a no-no? Dunking the whole thing in the sink?

The IP insert is easy to clean stainless steel. The lid needs an occasional wipe down but that’s it. If you don’t want a pressure cooker then I would say get a standard crock pot. If you get the IP though, you’ll find you can make what ever you would in a crock pot in an hour vs. all day with great results. I make stew, roasts, etc in the IP under pressure and it’s awesome. There may be some tweaks to the recipe that are required, but they are available online or you can make based on experience.

The only thing that hasn't worked well for me in the IP is chili. I like mine thicker rather than soupy. Thick isn’t great with the IP since it needs moisture to build pressure. The best solution is to simmer after the pressure cook to drive off excess water or add a thickener like corn starch or flour.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      We did Beef Stroganoff for our initial run and while very tasty, I didn't like how the sirloin strips came out. They were pot roast-like and we prefer a little firmer texture that a saute gives. Still, a very cool and useful appliance.

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      CaptainMike and snowswamp - Good info. I have been passing the aisle in Costco and haven't pulled the trigger. I keep reading these posts for info should I buy one. Thanks.

We just got an IP and like it so far. Did artichokes last night and they were the best, way better than steaming or boiling. Not sure if it's much of a time-saver because of the cycles it goes through, but we're still learning it. Going to try chicken enchiladas tonight. As far as cleaning, it's just like a CP in that you wouldn't dunk the unit, just damp cloth clean the outside. However, it cuts down on the overall pots and pans clean up because it all happens in one pot. Bottom line: we like the IP over our CP, but will keep and use both.

Comment

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, artichokes are fantastic from IP.

It is equal to the old school crock pots, and a thousand times better than the newer ones that lack certain temp settings the older models had. As snowswamp said, it doesn't handle super thick things well for pressure, but still slow cooks like a champ. It makes amazing 1 pot mashed potatoes but that's because you start with water or whatever liquid. Thicker stuff like sauces still work but not always as fast since it takes forever to build pressure with less steamable liquid.

The only thing that is hard to clean on the instant pot is the ring where the lid seals, but I just floss the tighter spots with a soapy rag, no big deal. Everything is dishwasher safe except the body of the unit.

The only place where the old school CP's win is recipes that have a long piece of meat that is supposed to be served from the CP. The IP has the same or more volume but it's a taller bucket type thing so you wouldn't really use it as a pretty server type deal (you can buy a glass lid for it to use for serving dips and apple cider or mulled wine or whatever )
    Last edited by ItsAllGoneToTheDogs; November 3, 2018, 03:01 PM.

Comment

I believe you can still do slow cooking with an IP you just adjust the settings for it, and the vent. Me personally I would rather have an IP. I think it's the CP of the modern times.

Comment

• snowswamp
        snowswamp commented
        Editing a comment
        Exactly. You leave the vent open and you have a crock pot. Sadly, I’ve crock pot cooked things until I realized I was forgetting to close the vent. 😀

You can slow cook in the Instant Pot, but I haven’t tried it yet.

But you can also slow cook in a Dutch oven!

This is all so confusing.

Actually, a quick Google says that people who have used the Instant Pot on the slow cooker setting haven’t been satisfied with the results.

In our house, one of the two is going to have to come off the countertop. For now, that’s going to be the crockpot.

Comment

I never slow cook anything anymore in a crock pot. I just convert times as best I can and use pressure instead.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here