Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gonna make them beef ribs in the Instant Pot.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gonna make them beef ribs in the Instant Pot.

Tomorrow. Because I don't want to spend all day out in the cold, and I have had the ribs vacuum packed in the freezer for about 10 months, and I'm trying to figure out a place in my kitchen for the device, before I decide I won't ever use it and I give it to one of my sisters.

Watch this space for updates.

I will fully admit that I had to look up "Instant Pot." LOL
    Sooooo, basically it’s an electric pressure cooker yes?

Flavour profiles will obviously be different, though not inedible clearly.
    You could cheat and add a couple drops of "liquid smoke" to bring it a bit closer to true BBQ. The texture will certainly be different but they should taste just fine...and in the end, that’s what matters most.

Comment

Mmmm, boiled beef! Just kidding, I bet they'd be pretty good braised in that IP.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, for circumstantial reasons we made short ribs in the electric PC a few weeks back. They came out great - classic braise!

I'd bet worldwide more beef ribs get braised than get smoked. Like brisket. I've eaten a lot of short ribs in restaurants that were braised, and that were exceptional.

I know I posted this on a bbq forum, but it is under the Instant Pot sub heading!

Comment

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        I have All About Braising on my Kindle app, I'm taking pointers from her!

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        It's a championship book, Mosca . And her All About Roasting is just as good! (Introduced me to the reverse sear).

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Mosca, check out the recipes at http://hippressurecooking.com - lots of good ones. And that Molly Stevens site has more as well.

Beef ribs are sooo good. They will taste great this way too.

Comment

Nothing wrong with braising meat. Think about it, who doesn’t like a good pot roast? Also consider when you wrap brisket or ribs in foil with a bit of liquid, what are you really doing....braising !! Although I agree slow smoked is my preference, braising ain’t bad, in fact with the right recipe it can be down right delicious

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Thing is, short rib is definitely one of the best braising cuts around!

I'm pretty sure I'm going to use parsley, rosemary, onions, garlic, celery and carrots as aromatics. I'm going to mix beef stock and red wine for the liquid. And I'm probably going to reduce it with balsamic vinegar. I'll serve it over arborio rice, with sugar snap peas sauteed with garlic.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          BTW, there are some great risotto recipes out there for the IP. Again, check the Hip Pressure Cooker site. My wife made one a few weeks back with dried morels that was unbelievable!

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          Man, that sounds excellent! I have been thinking about getting an instant pot for the rv - all the rv sites recommend them because they are supposedly so versatile, and the 6 quart doesn't take up too much room. Let us know how they come out please.

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          EdF , I made mushroom risotto a couple weeks ago, and chicken risotto last weekend! MUCH easier than stirring for an hour! (That's where I got the left over arborio, hehe.)

And then my friend John sends me this recipe...

Cherry Chipotle Short Ribs

5 lbs beef short ribs on the bone

1 bottle Guinness Stout

1/2 6 oz can chipotle peppers in adobo

1 (x) oz bag dried cherries

1 Tsp olive oil

1 medium onion chopped

Beef stock (enough to almost cover the ribs)

Salt and black pepper to taste

Chopped fresh cilantro to taste

Brown the ribs on all sides in a frying pan on medium high heat. Transfer to browned ribs to a crock pot. Turn the Crockpot to high.

Pour off all but two tablespoons of fat. Fry the onions in the fat and transfer the fried onion to the crock pot. Deglaze the frying pan with some of the Guinness, scraping up the brown bits, and pour into the crock pot. Add the rest of the beer to the crock pot, and add enough beef stock to barely cover the ribs. Roughly chop the chipotle peppers and add them to the crock pot. When the liquid comes to a boil reduce the heat to low. Simmer in the crock pot on low for two hours. Then add the cherries. Simmer for 1 to 3 more hours until the meat is very tender. Serve the ribs with chopped cilantro. The gravy can be served as is, or thickened with roux or cornstarch. Serve over rice or potatoes or your favorite starch.

Comment

• jgreen
          jgreen commented
          Editing a comment
          That sounds great

I'm lookin forward to yer Instant Pot Adventures, Brother!
        I haven't done any beef in mine, yet...

Comment

The instant pot is great at making broth. Serious eats has a great Pho Ga (Vietnamese chicken noodle soup) recipe. We have made beef Pho as well but it isn't as easy to make. I've converted our Indonesian chicken rice recipe to the instant pot and it works great.

If we are not using the Instant pot for the main meal, it makes a great rice cooker. It is also great for steel cut oats.

Comment

• treesmacker
            treesmacker commented
            Editing a comment
            I hard boil eggs in mine - easy and they come out great. Lots of details online.

Yeah, these will be great in the instant pot. Be sure to start on the saute setting and really brown the ribs. Then the pot will de-glaze during braising for wonderful flavor. I now have a pellet smoker, instant pot, and sous vide setup; this gives me lots of choices; some times hard to decide which way to go. Definitely the instant pot is good if you want fast, tender, and stewed or braised. Also, yes, you don't have to go out in the cold . I stewed a whole chicken in instant pot last weekend at my son's place in Lake Tahoe (>6,000 feet altitude), then did home made rustic noodles with my grand daughter to soak up the broth. Chicken falls off of the bone, but all of the flavor stays behind. Was great! Let us know how your ribs come out! Pics please!

Comment

I've had a large IP for almost 2 years and used it maybe 4 times. Is it because I live where it never gets cold? I need to either use it or get rid of it, cuz it takes up a lot of cupboard space. Ok. Beef ribs in the IP. I can do this.

Comment

• Mosca
              Mosca commented
              Editing a comment
              That’s my dilemma as well: use it or give it to one of my sisters.

Do not give it away until you have made at least one corned beef brisket in it.
            And a balsamic pot roast with the veggies.
            Changed my mind on pressure cookers.

Comment

People make ribs in them all the time. I'm too snooty about bbq to do it. But I'll bet they'll taste aight. I do like my Instant Pot. I'm planning a main course in it next week.

Comment

• Cheef
                Cheef commented
                Editing a comment
                They are really pretty good considering the time factor. In my opinion they can overcook REALLY quickly but it doesn't affect the taste too much.

My Favorite IP Recipe is Chicken Salsa Verde. Takes < 30 min start to finish... has great flavor, and _very_ difficult to mess up. (http://www.thecreativebite.com/press...-chicken-rice/)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here