Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IP Chicken Stock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IP Chicken Stock

I'm going to cook some using Serious Eats recipe. It doesn't call for salt. Should I add some for flavor?

I would say no because you can add it later. Making stock in the IP is something I need to try next time I make stock.

Comment

I do not. Usually when I am making stock in the IP I usually throw the kitchen sink in there, leftover skin, mean, bones ton's of fresh veggies. The meats and leftovers already have salt from my cook. Comes out fantastic. Did a huge ham stock last weekend for a batch of navy beans.

Comment

• CRO
        CRO commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks
        I just noticed I forgot fresh parsley. I hope that's not a game changer.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Wait, somehow I missed my invite on the beans last weekend

• lonnie mac
        lonnie mac commented
        Editing a comment
        Man IP nave beans are dang dang good too!

I thought I've been rode hard and put away wet once or twice but will somebody please tell me what in the world is "IP.?"

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        You know - electric pressure cooker with programming!

• lonnie mac
        lonnie mac commented
        Editing a comment
        You need to get with the lingo man! IP, NPR, MPR, 5-5-5!

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Feeling pretty good about understanding everything Lonnie just said.

CRO Thank you for the link. lonnie mac that's a big Negatory. EdF had some one come in today trying to sell us beef and chicken base when next to me was an unprogramable tilt skillet with 50lbs of chicken bones and some chicken feet and veg besides.

Some things need to stay old school for a reason.

If theres a lid on it qnd pressure with serios heat its not a stock that I would make. Veal stock is the exception in a large device as it cooks overnight
      when you seal the lid you get flavor in the water without reduction and concentration.

might I suggest that you take that unsalted product and reduce it further on your stovetop to a gelatinous flavor bomb?

my issue with devices is with lids is, the flavor goes into the water leaving the bulk tasteless.

Just my 2cents.

Comment

A friend told me how great the IP was, so I bought one on impulse a year ago. I know folks love it, and nothing wrong with that, but I've never taken to it. It's been used 3 times. I should just get rid of it. Maybe I can unload it on HouseHomey - he might want to use it for making stock.

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          It's not very intuitive.

For our chicken stock, we use bones from all of the chickens that we spatchcocked, cut up in pieces, and also the bones after they are cooked and eaten. We put the only the bones in a pressure cooker and slow cook it all night without pressure. In the morning, we put the rest of the stuff (carrots, onions, peppercorns, etc...) in and then pressure cook it for 2-3 hours. When completed we can crumble the bones easily. We strain everything and then can it. We get about 14-17 quart jars each time. When we put the opened jars in the fridge they congeal. We add no salt because we need control of the amount when we actually use it.

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Great work there my friend! Try roasting off some of them back bones.

• JimLinebarger
          JimLinebarger commented
          Editing a comment
          HouseHomey Try roasting before the process? I do that with beef bones but not chicken. Thought about it but didn't do it. That would add some flavor.

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          A good golden brown roast adds a nice flavor. Careful not to take too far or it can get bitter. A good brown roast though. It also helps remove some of the grease from the pot.

You can also add powdered milk to chicken wings and give them a roast in the oven before putting in the pot. The proteins from the powdered milk will add flavor to the chicken by helping them along in the browning process. It's a trick Heston Blumenthal does for his chicken stock recipe.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here