Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pressure cookers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    Love it. But don't have an instapot, so can't compare. The nonstick is amazing, the reduce function is nice, and the controls are stupid simple.

• EdF
    commented on 's reply
    What's your opinion on the Breville? Get's really good ratings, and I've been happy with some of their other products like their blender.

• Potkettleblack
    replied
    Lowjiber I've made the Kenji pressure cooker chili four times now, twice with my stove top and twice with my Breville. I got the Breville because I never had confidence I was doing anything right with the stovetop, so I was reluctant to use it. Any rate, the first time I made it stove top, it was perfect. The second time, it came out soupy, and required half an hour or more of reduction.

I got the Breville, and I thought, okay, now I can't really mess it up, so I made it to script, only adding 10 minutes of cook time, due to lower pressure. That came out soupy, but not unpleasantly so. Just left a lot of flavor in the liquid. I could have gotten some masa to firm it up, but I have notions that might be counterproductive.

So, fourth iteration, I did 40 minutes at full pressure, only with 2 cups of chicken stock instead of 1.5 quarts (aka 6 cups). It's tighter. I think I could go a bit less, as searing the chuckie in the Breville produces some liquid and sweating the onion does as well. Or, I might do that stuff on the stovetop. Either way.

Next step in the evolution is to change it up some. Add some short rib in there, or some spare ribs.

Leave a comment:

• Lowjiber
    commented on 's reply
    Potkettleblack Say again the amount of liquid reduction, please.

• lonnie mac
    commented on 's reply
    You will LOVE the lid. Soon, you will have two pots and two lids. Many times I will make beans or whatever, throw it in the fridge with the lid, then have a spare pot with a lid for something else. The cool thing is the next day just pop the pot and lid back in and set it on warm to heat up.

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    I make this one on the regular.

I reduce the liquid by a lot, like using a 1/3rd of what Kenji recommends.
    Last edited by Potkettleblack; March 22, 2017, 07:49 AM.

• Lowjiber
    replied
    Just as we thought winter was over last week here in the desert with temps in the low 90's and sunny skies, Mother Nature decided to remind us that she was still in charge yesterday... 72o, cloudy skies, and humidity in the 30% range. Yuck! Time for a pot of chili!

Now, when the better-half gets home from work, she's usually tired, but wound up like an eight-day-watch. It takes a glass of wine, five cigarettes, and about an hour to get her feet once again planted on the Earth. Thus, as the cook, I often have something like chili just staying warm on the stove until dinner... often two hours after it's actually done cooking.

I've already let things stay warm in the IP and can report that it works quite well. However, I can't resist taking a look now-and-then to make sure everything is still okay. So, to make that process a little easier I ordered one of these last week...

Like many, I sorta have a chili recipe that goes like this... throw stuff in a pot until it looks like chili and cook it. Still getting my sea-legs with the IP, I wanted a more definitive recipe to (sorta) follow. I picked this one... http://instantpot.com/umami-chili/. With a few personal adjustments (extra chili powder, dark & light kidney beans, etc.) it turned out quite well. Cooking time was 10 minutes on high-pressure with a seven minute natural steam release, after which the IP maintains its keep-warm mode. When done cooking, I did some post-cook tasting and adjustments with a shot of Sriracha plus salt & pepper... to taste.

Disclaimer... I actually made two batches. The first got thrown in a covered pan and taken to my neighbors up the street, and the second one was for us.

I can report that the glass lid is a "must have" for folks that need to "hold" a meal for any reasonable length of time. It fits the IP perfectly, and the small hole serves as a steam-release that keeps the see-thru lid clear as a bell. It's much easier than fooling around with the regular IP lid when anxious eyes are dying to stir it once in a while.

By the time we put dinner on the table, the warming timer on the IP registered 2hrs & 20 minutes. The pot delivered a perfect temp for serving, and I just left it on warm-mode we ate.

Leave a comment:

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    I'm considering using the PC to make stuff for the pot lucks, and the SC to bring it in and keep it warm for service. The thought of bringing a 6qt electric PC to work is a bit daunting.

• Lowjiber
    commented on 's reply
    Congratulations! You'll love it.

I've made lonnie mac's beans... great recipe.

• Livermoron
    replied
    We got the Fagor Dua for the stove top (better at browning things) but I've been recommending the IP for friends of mine that want an electric version. We love our PC! It makes a knock out chili verde, just using the moisture from the peppers and tomatillos. We also made refried beans in an hour (without having to pre-soak the beans).

It's a niche item, but it really helps to take the guesswork out of braising for me. Plus, I'm often asked to come up with something for potlucks at work, and it's quick way for me to do chilis and stews (much better than the crock pot stuff others bring in...)

I've had good luck with Kenji's recipes...

Leave a comment:

• Greg A BigBillsFan
    replied
    Well, as I am not one to "rush" into a purchase. I considered, I weighed options, I held many a one on one debate, (me being the one, IE: I argued with myself). Turns out I won the debate! (imagine that) My IP arrives Monday. Thanks to all your inputs, I feel like I have a nice base of knowledge to go forward on immediately with success. Pretty sure project #1 will be lonnie mac's navy bean soup. I love a great navy bean soup and his sounds wonderful! Thanks folks!!

Leave a comment:

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    It's brilliant with normal rice dishes as well. I'm considering a saffron rice, a jasmine rice, I do a cheesy rice... all sorts of things to do with longer grain rices... I wonder if I could convert the Mahnomie porridge to PC.

• EdF
    commented on 's reply
    You've got Ma'am!

• Atalanta
    commented on 's reply
    PC Risotto is the BEST! I never made it the "regular" way, but make it A LOT with the PC. "What's for dinner?" "Dunno. I don't feel like cooking." "How about risotto."

Which stops working when you run out of Arborio rice.

• lonnie mac
    commented on 's reply
    I am so glad it came out good man! I always worry. Ole Cajun and heavy handed with seasonings myself. Learning to tone things down these days.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here