Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pressure cookers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Breadhead View Post
    I bought a Cook's Essentials 8Qt. Electric Pressure Cooker over a year ago. I took it out of the box, put it on a rack in the kitchen and I stare at it every now and then. I imagine someday I'll get motivated to learn to use it. Guys my age don't get in a rush you know.😏
    I'm 75 and I got my instant Pot about a month ago and use it at least once a week. My advice to you is take it off the rack and cook something...

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      What's your favorite dish you've cooked in your pressure cooker so far? Welcome to the Pit by the way.👍 It's a pleasure having an elder to look up to.😎

I got my IP on Sunday afternoon. Since we usually have a roast on Monday night, I decided to do a chuck roast... came out perfect. Potatoes, carrots, and mushrooms added the last ten minutes.

I always add a tablespoon of Fish Sauce to the liquid to kick up the umami, but the wife doesn't know it... so I don't tell her. She's been eating all kinds of food with it added for years, but if I told her, she would protest and claim the meal was ruined. LOL

If you've ever used fish sauce, you know it stinks when you uncap the bottle. She walked in just as I was closing the IP lid; curled her nose up; and said, "That stinks... smells like fish!" To which I replied, "Noooo. That's just the 'new smell' on the outside of the cooker. It'll go away shortly." LOL

The meal was perfect. Of course the fish smell wasn't there and she never mentioned it.

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Clever save, Lowjiber! I bet that pot roast was awesome!

K.

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a Kenji trick, adding the fish sauce at the end. Does it in his PC texas style chili, which is pretty much my go to method, though it needs less liquid than he puts in.

• Lowjiber
      Lowjiber commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup. The roast was perfect. No brainer, that one.

Dana doesn't cook, but helps with the dishes. Heaven help me if she ever opens the cupboard and discovers my Baker's Chocolate (chilli) or my Red Boat Fish Sauce.

Well, as I am not one to "rush" into a purchase. I considered, I weighed options, I held many a one on one debate, (me being the one, IE: I argued with myself). Turns out I won the debate! (imagine that) My IP arrives Monday. Thanks to all your inputs, I feel like I have a nice base of knowledge to go forward on immediately with success. Pretty sure project #1 will be lonnie mac's navy bean soup. I love a great navy bean soup and his sounds wonderful! Thanks folks!!

Comment

• Lowjiber
      Lowjiber commented
      Editing a comment
      Congratulations! You'll love it.

I've made lonnie mac's beans... great recipe.

We got the Fagor Dua for the stove top (better at browning things) but I've been recommending the IP for friends of mine that want an electric version. We love our PC! It makes a knock out chili verde, just using the moisture from the peppers and tomatillos. We also made refried beans in an hour (without having to pre-soak the beans).

It's a niche item, but it really helps to take the guesswork out of braising for me. Plus, I'm often asked to come up with something for potlucks at work, and it's quick way for me to do chilis and stews (much better than the crock pot stuff others bring in...)

I've had good luck with Kenji's recipes...

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm considering using the PC to make stuff for the pot lucks, and the SC to bring it in and keep it warm for service. The thought of bringing a 6qt electric PC to work is a bit daunting.

Just as we thought winter was over last week here in the desert with temps in the low 90's and sunny skies, Mother Nature decided to remind us that she was still in charge yesterday... 72o, cloudy skies, and humidity in the 30% range. Yuck! Time for a pot of chili!

Now, when the better-half gets home from work, she's usually tired, but wound up like an eight-day-watch. It takes a glass of wine, five cigarettes, and about an hour to get her feet once again planted on the Earth. Thus, as the cook, I often have something like chili just staying warm on the stove until dinner... often two hours after it's actually done cooking.

I've already let things stay warm in the IP and can report that it works quite well. However, I can't resist taking a look now-and-then to make sure everything is still okay. So, to make that process a little easier I ordered one of these last week...

Like many, I sorta have a chili recipe that goes like this... throw stuff in a pot until it looks like chili and cook it. Still getting my sea-legs with the IP, I wanted a more definitive recipe to (sorta) follow. I picked this one... http://instantpot.com/umami-chili/. With a few personal adjustments (extra chili powder, dark & light kidney beans, etc.) it turned out quite well. Cooking time was 10 minutes on high-pressure with a seven minute natural steam release, after which the IP maintains its keep-warm mode. When done cooking, I did some post-cook tasting and adjustments with a shot of Sriracha plus salt & pepper... to taste.

Disclaimer... I actually made two batches. The first got thrown in a covered pan and taken to my neighbors up the street, and the second one was for us.

I can report that the glass lid is a "must have" for folks that need to "hold" a meal for any reasonable length of time. It fits the IP perfectly, and the small hole serves as a steam-release that keeps the see-thru lid clear as a bell. It's much easier than fooling around with the regular IP lid when anxious eyes are dying to stir it once in a while.

By the time we put dinner on the table, the warming timer on the IP registered 2hrs & 20 minutes. The pot delivered a perfect temp for serving, and I just left it on warm-mode we ate.

Comment

Lowjiber I've made the Kenji pressure cooker chili four times now, twice with my stove top and twice with my Breville. I got the Breville because I never had confidence I was doing anything right with the stovetop, so I was reluctant to use it. Any rate, the first time I made it stove top, it was perfect. The second time, it came out soupy, and required half an hour or more of reduction.

I got the Breville, and I thought, okay, now I can't really mess it up, so I made it to script, only adding 10 minutes of cook time, due to lower pressure. That came out soupy, but not unpleasantly so. Just left a lot of flavor in the liquid. I could have gotten some masa to firm it up, but I have notions that might be counterproductive.

So, fourth iteration, I did 40 minutes at full pressure, only with 2 cups of chicken stock instead of 1.5 quarts (aka 6 cups). It's tighter. I think I could go a bit less, as searing the chuckie in the Breville produces some liquid and sweating the onion does as well. Or, I might do that stuff on the stovetop. Either way.

Next step in the evolution is to change it up some. Add some short rib in there, or some spare ribs.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      What's your opinion on the Breville? Get's really good ratings, and I've been happy with some of their other products like their blender.

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Love it. But don't have an instapot, so can't compare. The nonstick is amazing, the reduce function is nice, and the controls are stupid simple.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here