Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pressure cookers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pressure cookers

No not cooking under the gun. Haha Seriously, I'm thinking about adding a pressure cooker to the kitchen tool box. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Instant Pot.

Kathryn

Comment

• Greg A BigBillsFan
      Greg A BigBillsFan commented
      Editing a comment
      Is that a brand?

• Greg A BigBillsFan
      Greg A BigBillsFan commented
      Editing a comment
      Nevermind. Answered my own instant pot question.

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      lonnie mac , too, weighed in with Instant Pot on another thread the other day.

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post
    Instant Pot.

Kathryn
    Kathryn's shortest post. Bookmark it.

Comment

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      Boom!

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Jerod Broussard thanks for the great laugh first thing in the morning. Great way to start the day. You kidder you.
      K.

Even though I BBQ all year long sometimes when it's in the single digits I break out the pressure cooker and no one ever complains.

Comment

I have had a Cuisinart one for years never had a problem with it

Comment

Too much pressure for me...

Comment

This WMF stovetop is pretty amazing (you don't have to get the combo): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005EQK3IE/?tag=amazi0a8-20 Truly a thing of beauty.

Bought it for a niece, but had to inspect it.

We have an electric, I think a Cuisinart, which is our go-to rice machine.

We also have an old Magafesa pressure fryer, which is our main stovetop one.

Bought another stovetop for another niece getting married. Not as impressive as the first one, but no slouch either: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009A9XT/?tag=amazi0a8-20

This is a "best book" on the subject: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0060505346/?tag=amazi0a8-20

Fagor Duo is a good brand too, and from what I've heard that Instant Pot is getting top reviews for electrics.

Have fun!

Good buying guide in here: http://thebestpressurecookers.com

Better one here from JCBBQ below: https://www.hippressurecooking.com/ . This is one of the very best PC sites around.

Get an 8 qt size.
          Last edited by EdF; March 1, 2017, 07:55 PM.

Comment

America's Test Kitchen most highly recommends the stovetop Fissler Vitaquick 8½-Quart Pressure Cooker. We got one from Amazon a couple of years ago and it's been fantastic ... pricey but fantastic.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              I think I remember that review. Good stuff!

Someone recommended this site over at ChefSteps. I can't vouch for it but it looks like it's got a ton of info

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, that's a really good site on the subject!

Now that I looked at it again, this is the one that guided my purchases for relatives, and would guide my own if the one I have were ever to wear out before I do - which is unlikely.
              Last edited by EdF; March 1, 2017, 07:49 PM.

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              The author of that site has also written a good cookbook with the same title. Not like I needed another cookbook, but I got it anyway. Good purchase.
              K.

I'm really getting into this tonight. Hopefully it doesn't kick off some MCS. Anyway, here's another good article on choosing pressure cookers. As an aside, I'll say that I've had three Breville small appliances, and they are top-notch. http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/08/e...rs-review.html

Comment

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              I have the Breville one recommended by Kenji and love it. But I might save the money and get the Instapot if I were doing it over again. Though I love the non-stick.

I have a cusinart electric. Good tool to have but the lid is finicky and hard to clean.

Comment

I would go with an electric over a stove top unit. it takes the guess work out of what setting to have the burner at. I have one and love it for doing soups and stews.

Comment

My BF got me a Fagor many years ago. This one is a pressure cooker/canner. To be able to can, you need one that is designated able to do so. This came with 2 lids, a regular lid and a pressure lid. So if I'm doing a small canning batch, I can do it in there rather than lug out my big canning pot. Since it's nice and deep, we were using it to SV until we got a dedicated container (the pasta pot was too shallow).

My go to recipe is risotto - no stirring and less than 30 min from prep to serve. I haven[t tried any of the ribs or brisket recipes yet. Did a bean soup that probably would have gone better in a crock pot over a couple days rather than trying to rush it. I may someday get one of the heavier ones I see at the homeshows - you can do fried chicken in them. I would NEVER try it in the one I have now, the last thing I need is a critical failure that would get me into the Farmer's Hall of Claims.

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Definitely do not use a regular pressure cooker for pressure frying. Use one designed for it (there aren't many).

• GadjetGriller
                  GadjetGriller commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The old Henny penny's (use to work at Chick fil a Way back in the day before they invented color!!) Favorite thing to do was leave a couple of the breasts in the cooker for 2 or 3 cycles came out way over cooked kind of like jerky but WoW they were good!!

• GadjetGriller
                  GadjetGriller commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Even had the owner asking me to make her some!! (http://www.ecrater.com/p/19582432/pr...id=81021731419)

I just bought an Instant Pot this week. Cooked a 4lb pork loin in 50 minutes. We were shocked by how tender and juicy it was. I was reading how people can have potatoes ready to mash in 5-6 minutes. The thought of that makes me giddy.

Comment

Yeah, Obi-Dan , sometimes it takes longer for the Instant Pot to come to pressure than it does to cook the food. It's a great little gizmo for sure.

Have you tried the Insta-Chicken recipe for it? Just throw in frozen chicken parts and have pulled chicken in less than half an hour. Here's the link:

Instant Pot turns chicken breast into effortless dinner! Ultimate guide to pressure cooking chicken breasts of all shapes/sizes, fresh or frozen.

That recipe has saved my bacon many a night when I thought I had nothing good to cook for supper.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here