Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pressure cookers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinaker
    replied
    I heard they make excellent "BBQ Brisket"........Trust me I know a "Guy" in the BBQ HOF.........lol
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Unknown-3.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	19.4 KB ID:	283956

Leave a comment:

• Omega-Man
    replied
    These are top rated on Consumer Reports:

Stovetop
    Fissler VitaQuick, $200
    Philippe Richard 6-Quart Aluminum TTUI9554, $20

Electric
    Fagor Premium 6 Quart Pressure & Rice Cooker, $100
    Cuisinart CPC-600, $100

I have the Cuisinart electric and it works just fine. I retired my stove top cooker when I got the Cuisinart but, it had served me well and there were no issues, just bring it up to temp/pressure on the stove, lower to about a simmer that keeps the pressure valve rocking a little and, nothing to it. Elective, plug it in, press the buttons and you are done.

Leave a comment:

• Lowjiber
    replied
    Thank you for the tips and link, Kathryn.

I also ordered the paperback version of this book that may give me even more insight as I stagger through this new method...

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    replied
    There were a couple of things I learned really quickly when I first started using my Instant Pot.

1. The flavor of spices is amplified, so go lightly with them. I made my Beef Goulash recipe (usually done in a Staub Dutch Oven) in the Instant Pot and it was so spicy that my poor husband couldn't eat it.

2. If your sauce in the pot is too thick, the Instant Pot will never come to pressure. It pretends that it does and starts the count down, but it never really does. So I don't thicken my sauces until the cooking is complete.

Here's a short article on what not to do with an electric pressure cooker: http://www.thekitchn.com/5-mistakes-...-cooker-229013

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

• KevinG
    commented on 's reply
    Nice! I purchased two stove top units a few months ago, with the idea of having quicker meals. Thanks for the link, this should improve my learning curve with these little devils...Ive had a few "challenges" with them so far.

• Greg A BigBillsFan
    replied
    Thanks to all you fellow AR'ers! You've certainly supplied me with a wealth of info. All of which is appreciated. I'm leaning instant pot!

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    You're welcome, Lowjiber . I think you'll like the Instant Pot. I make Chile Colorado in it, using pulled beef from smoked chucks. I freeze the beef in 1lb vacuum sealed packs, and then, when I need a quick and yummy supper, I use one of the packs in this recipe:

Kathryn

• Lowjiber
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for the link. I'm convinced. Instant Pot on order ten minutes ago.

That looks like a much better/faster method of preparing boneless/skinless CBs for enchiladas.

Thanks for twisting my arm.

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    The kewl thing about this method is that you can put a rock hard solid chunk of chicken pieces direct from the freezer into the Instant Pot and be putting it on the table, steaming and delicious, in 30-45 minutes or so.

• EdF
    commented on 's reply
    Definitely do not use a regular pressure cooker for pressure frying. Use one designed for it (there aren't many).

• Obi-Dan
    commented on 's reply
    Funny you should mention that. I'm going to do a chicken for the first time tonight. It's sitting in the fridge right now.

• fzxdoc
    replied
    Yeah, Obi-Dan , sometimes it takes longer for the Instant Pot to come to pressure than it does to cook the food. It's a great little gizmo for sure.

Have you tried the Insta-Chicken recipe for it? Just throw in frozen chicken parts and have pulled chicken in less than half an hour. Here's the link:

Instant Pot turns chicken breast into effortless dinner! Ultimate guide to pressure cooking chicken breasts of all shapes/sizes, fresh or frozen.

That recipe has saved my bacon many a night when I thought I had nothing good to cook for supper.

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    The author of that site has also written a good cookbook with the same title. Not like I needed another cookbook, but I got it anyway. Good purchase.
    K.

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    Jerod Broussard thanks for the great laugh first thing in the morning. Great way to start the day. You kidder you.
    K.

• Obi-Dan
    replied
    I just bought an Instant Pot this week. Cooked a 4lb pork loin in 50 minutes. We were shocked by how tender and juicy it was. I was reading how people can have potatoes ready to mash in 5-6 minutes. The thought of that makes me giddy.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here