Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pressure cookers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    Less evaporation of volatile flavor compounds, so full flavor of spices. Made a risotto the other day, and went about what I do with shallots in traditional, and I redubbed it a Parm-Shallot risotto, just so we wouldn't be surprised.

• Breadhead
    commented on 's reply
    That's what I was thinking...😁

• Craigar
    commented on 's reply
    What's the rush when you cook everything outside on your kamado?

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    I have the Breville one recommended by Kenji and love it. But I might save the money and get the Instapot if I were doing it over again. Though I love the non-stick.

• Lowjiber
    replied
    I got my IP on Sunday afternoon. Since we usually have a roast on Monday night, I decided to do a chuck roast... came out perfect. Potatoes, carrots, and mushrooms added the last ten minutes.

I always add a tablespoon of Fish Sauce to the liquid to kick up the umami, but the wife doesn't know it... so I don't tell her. She's been eating all kinds of food with it added for years, but if I told her, she would protest and claim the meal was ruined. LOL

If you've ever used fish sauce, you know it stinks when you uncap the bottle. She walked in just as I was closing the IP lid; curled her nose up; and said, "That stinks... smells like fish!" To which I replied, "Noooo. That's just the 'new smell' on the outside of the cooker. It'll go away shortly." LOL

The meal was perfect. Of course the fish smell wasn't there and she never mentioned it.

Leave a comment:

• Breadhead
    commented on 's reply
    What's your favorite dish you've cooked in your pressure cooker so far? Welcome to the Pit by the way.👍 It's a pleasure having an elder to look up to.😎

• lbyer
    replied
    Originally posted by Breadhead View Post
    I bought a Cook's Essentials 8Qt. Electric Pressure Cooker over a year ago. I took it out of the box, put it on a rack in the kitchen and I stare at it every now and then. I imagine someday I'll get motivated to learn to use it. Guys my age don't get in a rush you know.😏
    I'm 75 and I got my instant Pot about a month ago and use it at least once a week. My advice to you is take it off the rack and cook something...

Leave a comment:

• Breadhead
    replied
    I bought a Cook's Essentials 8Qt. Electric Pressure Cooker over a year ago. I took it out of the box, put it on a rack in the kitchen and I stare at it every now and then. I imagine someday I'll get motivated to learn to use it. Guys my age don't get in a rush you know.😏

Leave a comment:

• lbyer
    replied
    I highly recommend this cookbook. Every recipe I have tried has been outstanding: https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Elect...VESC5M9YKDXBPB

The green lentil and spinach stew with shrimp is terrific...
    Last edited by lbyer; March 6, 2017, 07:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• lonnie mac
    commented on 's reply
    You got it brotha! Just an ole Cajun. Please let us know how it turns out! I have had mine for only a year or so, and dang haven't had a fail yet in it. Funny, if you are on Facebook, there is a great IP group I follow. Lots of great stuff there.

• Lowjiber
    replied
    That's awesome I'll incorporate a few "extra" items from your recipe above... for sure. I was (am) concerned about the IP instruction not to fill the tub over 2/3 full, but with pre-soaked beans it should be fine.

Not to worry 'bout the cornbread. I always make a 12" iron skillet of the stuff when the beans are ready. I'm an old country boy from the Ozark Mountains in southern Missouri. I eat cornbread with darn near everything. LOL

Your comment about the green pepper sauce intrigues me. I always throw in a can of diced green chilies about the time the beans are done.

Thanks much for the help... much appreciated. If you ever get to Las Vegas, we'll hook up for some beans and cornbread.

Leave a comment:

• lonnie mac
    replied
    As with anything in the Instant pot, or cooking with pressure as you know, I have always found that I like to "start" with the liquid I "want" to end up with. As in a pressure cooker you don't boil away your excess. As Kathryn said, you want to thicken in the end after the pressure release. I'll post up my NAVY bean recipe! I thicken in the end with my homemade bulk roux I keep in the fridge. As usual with beans, you'll probably still want to soak them over night. Here at my local HEB, there is a company that sells fresh beans of all sorts. Think they are called "We Love Peas". The beans are already soaked so in the insta pot it goes.

NAVY Beans

1 TBS bacon grease in IP
    2 strips bacon fine diced
    2 cans chicken broth
    3 TBS butter
    1.5 pound "We Love Peas" Navy beans
    2 small ham steaks or cut up ham hocks
    3 small organic carrots diced to 3/4”
    3 small organic celery diced fine
    1 onion diced fine
    4 cloves minced garlic
    1 tsp thyme, or fresh thyme sprigs tied in a ball
    1 bayleaf
    1/2 tsp cyanine pepper
    3 tsp kosher salt
    2 tsp pepper
    1 tsp ground sage

Directions:

Brown bacon bits, add and sauté onions in Instant Pot in Sauté mode high. Add all spices and sauté some more. Add cubed ham/hocks. Add beans and enough broth just to cover. (two cans perfect with this recipe in the IP) Cook manual-high-pressure for 30 minutes. Natural pressure release for 20 minutes. Add 2 TBS homemade roux and sauté to thicken. Serve over rice with a liberal sprinkling of Cajun Chef green pepper sauce. (Mandatory!) And home made corn bread of course.

Leave a comment:

• lonnie mac
    commented on 's reply
    I'll post below, cus I am SURE it will go over the 300 limit!

• Lowjiber
    replied
    lonnie mac, you have any Navy Bean tips. I know what I'm doing when cooking them on the stove, but will welcome any tips.

Leave a comment:

• lonnie mac
    commented on 's reply
    Well there you go! Now it's time to learn the lingo. I do my eggs for 5-5-5. And they are perfect every single time! 5 minutes pressure, 5 minutes NPR (natural pressure release) then QR (quick release), then 5 minutes in a ice bath. NAVY beans are probably my favorite Instant Pot cook to do.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here