Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why electric countertop ("Instantpot") pressure cooker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks all for your thoughtful comments.

You've helped me think about exactly how I currently use my stovetop pressure cooker, and my usual cooking habits.

Here's something I thought of that no one above has mentioned: the amount of free counter space in your kitchens, and electrical outlets. Here's some info that I didn't share because I didn't think it relevant before--but now I do: we actually split our time between the US and France. In the US we have a house with a big modern kitchen with lots of counter space and electrical outlets. In Paris (where we just replaced our conventional stove with an induction stove which was what prompted this whole replacement episode), we have a small apartment with a tiny kitchen, very little counter space, and very little storage. Every pot and utensil here has to fill several roles. In addition, my "work desk" when I'm here is about 2 steps from the stove, so there's really no way I can walk away even if I wanted to, which makes "set it and forget it" less of an issue.

So, even though it's only a 6L pot, it's the largest pot I have here. I use the stovetop pressure cooker as a regular pot to boil pasta, as a steamer to soft boil eggs and steam custards, and occasionally when I have to boil a huge pot of water to pour down the bathroom sink when my teen has clogged it up. I use it to saute and brown meats before I pressurize it to finish a boeuf bourgignon, tagine, or a cassoulet. I've used it as a heavy weight with a flat bottom to flatten veal, pork, and chicken cutlets. If anyone ever broke into the apartment, I can use it as a weapon.

So maybe when my pressure cooker in California gives up the ghost, I'll replace it with an electric programmable countertop cooker, but I think here I'm going to have to replace it with another stovetop.

Thanks again to all.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I recently bought a Ninja "flip" dual heat air fry oven. I've been using it extensively and it has occurred to me that you could get rid of your kitchen range and just cook with a collection of new-fangled gadgets. I'm certainly not ready to actually do this but the space freed up getting rid of the range would increase counter space and provide enough storage for a double induction burner, a countertop oven, an instant pot, and much more.

• RobertC
      RobertC commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks interesting. Please share your evaluation when you're ready. Is it tall enough to make a souffle? What about a boule of sourdough bread?

We have a 6 qt. electronic from QVC for three years now and this is our third electronic pressure cooker, we just wear them out.

My wife has mastered doing any kind of soup in that thing. She does a fantastic white bean, ham, carrot and a little potato soup and it takes 35 minutes and she does not soak the beans. Red beans and rice is another good dish she does. She has mastered when she needs to add certain ingredients so they come out just right.

Corned beef with cabbage and potatoes in the pressure cooker is a game changer. She does the CB for 40 minutes and then adds the cabbage and potatoes for another 20 minutes and it comes out amazing.

She also does collard greens that she grows and again they take 30 minutes with a little ham and ACV added and you would think they simmered for hours. Give it a try.

Comment

I have a good stovetop pressure cooker which has not been used since I got the Instant Pot. The IP is used more- very helpful because it is so hands off. I make yogurt quite frequently and its great for stock. There is a really good cookbook by Christopher Kimball- Cooking Fast and Slow from which I have done a lot of recipes. It is not just pressure cooker/IP there are slow cooker recipes too. I only use my slow cooker now for keeping soup/chili warm at pot lucks.

Comment

RobertC Fagor makes one that is good for induction. I have the 10-quart and love this pot to pieces!! I use it for for stock, as a deep fryer, larger pressure cooker meals. I use the "insta" for smaller things, as mentioned above.

My first pressure cooker was from an estate sale. It’s a French brand and I got it for $15. It’s the kind where the knob thing shakes.

Comment

• RobertC
          RobertC commented
          Editing a comment
          I have a Fagor in the US, and in France our pressure cooker was an ancient SEB with the shaking, jiggling, rotating valve that my wife inherited. Except for the gaskets, it's in original condition. If we hadn't gotten an induction stove, we might've been able to hand it down to one of the kids. That thing is rock solid. It still might go to one of the kids: we're giving it back to my FIL, who still has a conventional stove.

Can't vouch for this but it is out there: https://pressureluckcooking.com/instant-pot-pastrami/
        I use my IP mostly for oatmeal, rice, beans, HB eggs, and polenta. I have also cooked a loaf of banana bread in it. I don't use it for soup or stew or chili. I tried once and realized you gotta taste those as they progress and you can't do that if they are under pressure. One button push for some things- good.

Comment

RobertC , I am so glad about the second post. In perusing this thread, everybody was tellin things of how they use their instapot & my question was, whoa whassup with usin a stove top pressure cooker as often as you said. France, apartment, tiny, all answers to what an inquiring mind wants to know. Another question, and not to pry but very interested, is there a chance of a pic of said French kitchen? Very cool that you are there, now! Thanks for the post.
          Last edited by FireMan; February 13, 2022, 06:08 AM.

Comment

• RobertC
            RobertC commented
            Editing a comment
            It's a pretty standard "modern" kitchen for a Parisian apartment building that's only 15 years old--just small. Everything is on a 60x60cm (24" x 24") footprint grid: our stove, fridge, washer, dryer, the countertop is 60x120, etc. We used to rent in one of those romantic 19th C. pierre de taille buildings where the windows open like doors, the retrofitted elevators are coffin-sized, and the kitchens were designed for servants far from the dining area.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here