Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you tossed your slow cooker yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, and I don't expect to.

When cooking from a recipe the InstaPot I got 2 years ago is great. And yes, I have been known to tweak recipes to my liking.

But generally I like to cook without a recipe. So the ability to tweak seasoning and possibly even add ingredients ad hoc is of great value to me.

For example, when making Pot Roast I like my carrots firm. De-pressurizing and repressurizing to add the carrots late in the cooking cycle seems a pain in the roast.

There's also something to be said for filling the entire house with the smell of cooking meat, which slow cooking does well.

This week, at the last minute I decided to make POT roast. Before I left for the office (only do that once a week these days) I threw a frozen chuck roast in the slow cooker. Covered it with the other ingredients. At about 3:15 I asked me room mate to throw in a bag of prepared carrots.

I am slowly increasing my Insta recipes. I have highly modified a Campbell's soup recipe for beef stroganoff that our family finds addictive for some reason. The other primary thing is for cooking corned beef. I found a recipe that includes a bottle of beer and we really like the results (I have tried hard cider a few times and it was not as good as with an IPA or Blue Moon t my surprise).

I also plan on keeping my old-school analog rice maker. For two reasons. You cannot, IMHO cook rice with a timer. IN fact, ideally you can't even use a fixed rice to water ratio because rice (even the same kind) can vary with the amount of moisture. I don't know exactly how the digital rice pots work, but I presume they are automatic like the analog version. My InstaPot want sme to enter a time for rice and that just makes no sense to me. Second, I like the defect of the analog that sometimes it crisps the rice on the bottom like Persian crispy rice (tahdig). To me that is an advantage. In fact I think I will start a tahdig thread.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I've never had a rice cooker. These days I use the instant pot and usually just press the rice button (1:1 liquid to rice). However all that does is set it to 12 minutes high pressure then I let it release pressure naturally until whatever I'm cooking is ready. I find that last step to be very forgiving and I'm always happy with the results.

• RolfTaylor
      RolfTaylor commented
      Editing a comment
      Attjack

Are you in the telecom business?

More on topic, tell me more about rice in the IP. SO it doesn't matter how much you make, the same setting works? I guess that makes some sense, the INsta is still a pretty new concept to me. I May give it a try, thanks for sharing this! Slow release makes good sense too.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      RolfTaylor No, I am not.

Yeah, I think the ratio is always the same. Give it a shot and let me know if you like the results or not.

We got a slow cooker when we were married 44 years ago and I think we used it less than 20 times. Never really cooked in it, just used it as a warmer for large meals.

In came the Instant Pot several years go and we use it at least 8 times a month. The slow cooker was donated to charity.

I have three large dutch ovens and they all have their use. Most stews, soups, and braises go into them.
    Last edited by Bkhuna; January 22, 2022, 01:48 PM.

Comment

• RolfTaylor
      RolfTaylor commented
      Editing a comment
      OK, do tell. What are some of your favorite IP dishes? I am about to post the Stroganoff dish. It really isn't all that special, but has some addictive quality to it!

• Bkhuna
      Bkhuna commented
      Editing a comment
      RolfTaylor https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/ is my favorite IP recipe site.The two folks that run this site are both from Hong Kong and in the beginning most of their recipes were Asian. They worked with the IP company to develop not only recipes, but techniques that were new to the technology.

• RolfTaylor
      RolfTaylor commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. Will look over this resource!

Shoot, I cook my rice, MN wild rice, in a pot, period.
    Pot period, I like the sound of that.
    Last edited by FireMan; January 22, 2022, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here