Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Planning to try sous vide chicken in Instant Pot ... tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planning to try sous vide chicken in Instant Pot ... tips?

Sunday's cook plan is https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...hicken-recipe/

I plan to do the low and slow portion using my new smoker tube and don't know how smoky the chicken will be. Since my wife doesn't like a lot of smoke, I plan to sous vide a backup piece and finish them all on the grill per the recipe.

Any experience with sous vide in the instant pot?

I've been toying with the idea of using our insta pot for sous vide.
    Let us know how it goes. thanks

Comment

I found many videos on the topic, but they all use the pots that have the Sous Vide button. Unfortunately, I have the Instant Pot Smart Wifi edition that does not have the Sous Vide button. Was unaware of Sous Vide when I originally got the thing. The warm setting is supposed to range from 145 - 172. May test it out when I get home.
      Last edited by saneric38; April 29, 2021, 09:22 AM.

Comment

I use my instant pot for sous vide. Works well, except there's no circulation of the water, so the top tends to be cooler. I lay the lid on loosely (cuz it won't let you seal it) and that seems to work pretty good.

Comment

You may want to read this topic. The original poster found his Instant Pot Sous Vide feature to be unsafe because the actual temperature for a safe lower limit of 130° was actually 122°--highly dangerous from a food safety standpoint.

We upgraded our Instant Pot to one of the newer, fancier models which also happens to have a sous vide function. It is the 6 quart Duo Evo Plus. Decided to run a test to see if this function is useful, wondering if it might even replace my Anova stick. ​​​​ I set the temp to 130F and let it preheat. At the end of the

Kathryn

Comment

• UncleSpike
            UncleSpike commented
            Editing a comment
            Valid point. I check the temp with my thermopen, and (I forgot to mention) I set the temp to 134* to keep the actual temp at 130*

Yeah, Kathryn beat me to it. If you want to do SV, get a real SV circulator so you can control the temps.

THAT SAID... no one wants to eat 130F chicken. I like it at 155F or so. Given that it's not a real SV device, I'd use a thermometer in the water to monitor things.
          Last edited by rickgregory; April 29, 2021, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Thanks the heads up on the temp! I'll have to keep an eye on that.

I plan to sous vide at 150. And finish on the grill per the recipe with the other pieces when they reach 150. If I can't get the water to hold at 150, I'll punt to the oven or air fryer.

Thanks!

Comment

Here is a good article on time and temp for cooking Sous Vide Chicken. I generally do 145*F for 3 hours on both chicken and pork and it ALWAYS turns out as tender as a Mother's love and so juicy it is recommended to wear a bib.

Comment

• Dalmore
                Dalmore commented
                Editing a comment
                I haven't tasted the sous vide I did yesterday. It was a back up piece in case the grilled piece was too smokey for my wife. But it was not so the Sous Vide piece is regulated to leftovers.

• Dalmore
                Dalmore commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow that is a good article! Thanks!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here