Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Instant Pot Sealing Ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I bought my last instant they included an extra seal. When I looked up why, it pretty much stated that one of them should be used for the funkier stuff cause the smell isn't coming out.
    Last edited by tenphases; April 10, 2021, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Do skillets smell? Has anybody sniffed their pots & pans? I think I’ll try it out since there is no one to actually see me sniffing my Stargazer or my Griswold, just my dog, & he would probably think it’s normal.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        LOL!
        Much Love to yerself an Derbster, ya ol skillet sniffer, from way out here, on th windswept Prairie!

I don't smell mine so it doesn't really bother me.

Comment

I've been using my instant pots since they first came out. The rings will never fully deodorize and I've tried everything. However, I've also discovered that the smell of the rings never transfers to the food. Try using you IP to make pot in pot rice and tell me if you can taste any off putting flavors. I sure can't.

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          It has transferred for me. That doesn’t invalidate your results. But it did ruin a whole pot of some pork thing I was making.

Most of what I make in the IP is of the savory variety, so I also have the 3-pack that I bought that has remained unused. However when I first got mine, I read that leaving the ring out in the sun will help get rid of the smell - UV rays or something magic like that. As a disclaimer, I've never tried it.

Comment

Doc!!! My head hurts, when I do this!!! OY!!!

Doc: Then, don't do that!!!

Comment

I originally bought 2 sealing rings because the turmeric I use in Indian food in the Instant Pot turned the seal yellow. Then I found out that the color pretty quickly goes away with use so I’ve never used the backup seal.

I never noticed a lingering smell on the silicone seal and I’ve got a pretty sensitive sniffer. I store the IP with the lid upside down on top of the pot assembly. I reinsert the seal into the lid just before each cook. I always let it free range between IP cooks.

Kathryn
            Last edited by fzxdoc; April 11, 2021, 01:15 PM.

Comment

I consider the sealing ring a consumable item. When it starts to smell, I replace it.

Comment

I have the extra rings as well. I have found that a good hot wash in my dishwasher gets rid of the smell. The whole lid is dishwasher safe.

Comment

fzxdoc
                  I have found that making a batch of rice helps with the odor. Not 100%, but it helps.

Comment

What I do is not smell it and that works really well for me.

Comment

• texastweeter
                      texastweeter commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ditto

• Attjack
                      Attjack commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I see I already commented above. Well, even if I'm forgetful at least I'm consistent.

Hmmmm...hmmmm... I have never smelled mine. Sounds like I shouldn't start LOL! I don't use the IP all that often, though just a few weeks ago I started eating oatmeal (supposed to be healthy) and the IP works great for that.

Comment

Funny this just got bumped today. I just make mexican shredded beef in mine for lunch and it really stinks right now.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                        fzxdoc commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It'll go away, I bet. How was the beef?

Kathryn

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here