Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Instant Pot Sealing Ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instant Pot Sealing Ring

For the love of BBQ, how do you get that smell to go away? I have washed several times. I have soaked in a baking soda bath. I have soaked in a vinegar bath. It never goes away!
    fzxdoc ecowper Richard Chrz

We ended up with three rings, one that can go in anything. Got one for more delicate flavors and a back up in case. Not easy but we had some success with dishwasher and sanitize mode, after a vinegar bath

Comment

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      I remember shopping and hanging out at Fox Valley Mall when I was a kid. Used to live in a small townhome subdivision called Pebblewood... I think is was called that?

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep... impossible to un-smell them. We do as Mojo0209 said!

Insta what?

I remember my Mother sending me to the Hardware Store to get a new seal for our Pressure Cooker when the old one started cracking.

What are you cooking that can make a silicone(?) seal start stinking?

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      I got it! Stick it in one of those sou vie thingamagings for 36 hours with some oxyclean!

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry, SheliaAnn, I've been in solo quarantine for over a week now..... ....

• DesertRaider
      DesertRaider commented
      Editing a comment
      Chili. My smoked chuck roast chili to be exact. I love it, my wife, not so much. So now we will have multiple sealing rings.

We had the same problem; the only solution wife was able to find is to buy the 3-pack, different color rings. We soaked, hand scrubbed, dishwasher, nothing really worked. She purchased the pack on Amazon about 1 year ago. Edit to my post, she found the ring set on Amazon while I was posting:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	40722.jpeg
Views:	408
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	1015595
    Last edited by mcook2201; April 9, 2021, 06:46 PM.

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      I have this too.

I've wondered this too! Ever since making an overnight broth...

Comment

I always put the pot away with the lid upside down; haven't smelled anything, but that could be covid.

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Another one with a big milestone.
        I just thought of what I said, interesting.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Congrats, amigo!

Happy 100th post!

Keep on chattin us up, an yakkin away!

I'm always there, readin what ya done wrote.

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        Congrats on the weight loss, too!

We've had good results soaking it in a mild bleach solution, but we have the 3-pack and use the same color for the same foods just in case.

Comment

I’m sorry, I can not help, I do not have one. Maybe meant to tag someone else? But, maybe worth a try, I love bar keepers friend. No idea h0w it works on a smell though. Hope you find a solution and share it on up for others.

Comment

guess we don't use ours enough, but when it is stinky I use bleach

Comment

So do I have ta buy an Instapot to find out what ya’ll are talkin about?

Comment

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              Or a front loader washing machine. Apparently have the same problem....

• treesmacker
              treesmacker commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep - get one so you can help us all figure it out!

I must admit that I freaked out a bit after smelling the sealing ring after a few savory instant pot experiments. It seemed bad enough that I immediately ordered the set of three color-coded replacements. Now, after several years of frequent instant pot use the color-coded rings are still brand new, never needed, I’ve quit obsessively sniffing the original ring, and we’ve never noticed any off odors transferred from one cook to the next.

Comment

Yikes .... smelly seal on pressure cooker/insta-pot is no bueno. Had that happen years ago on a pressure cooker. Threw it away, got a new seal. :-)

Comment

• SheilaAnn
              SheilaAnn commented
              Editing a comment
              But did the new seal smell after making, say... beef stock? It’s not a bad smell like something spoiled, just a "cooked" smell.

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              Not that I really recall

The separate rings strategy is what I use, but if you just leave the ring out the odor will dissipate after a few days.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
              SheilaAnn commented
              Editing a comment
              I let it air dry overnight, then reassemble and store with the lid tilted. The smell does dissipate, but is still there.

I went the route that MBMorgan did and just stopped smelling it. I agree that it doesn't seem to transfer the odor to subsequent batches. If however you want suggestion, I used the method described in this link for some silicone ice trays that had a terrible freezer odor and it worked amazingly well.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
              SheilaAnn commented
              Editing a comment
              Interesting.....

I agree with MBMorgan and jerrybell , try to not pay attention to the smell. We like oatmeal in the IP. Make some of that and the smell is reduced quite a bit but it seems to always have some odor carryover. If you like oatmeal try that in the IP. Creamy good we think.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here