Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thermoworks MK4 Thermapen Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermoworks MK4 Thermapen Question

Interested to know your opinions, is the Thermoworks MK4 ThermaPen worth the investment? Is it really better than the Thermopro TP19 which is significantly cheaper?

I have the Thermoworks MK4 and like it. I’ve never used the Thermopro so, I can’t tell u if the price difference is worth it.

Comment

Seems like the Thermopro would work just fine. Check out the review here on the free side and compare to the review of the MK4. I doubt many here will have used both. I really like my MK4, but I wouldn't rule out the Thermopro if I had known about it when I was looking for an instant read thermometer.
      Last edited by Steve R.; January 19, 2021, 12:47 PM.

Comment

They will both get you where you want to be. I bought a lesser priced thermo-pen. Works fine.

Comment

Absolutely. I first bought the Thermoworks ThermoPop which is a great more affordable option. But eventually, I broke down and got the MK4. No regrets. It's worth the investment.

Comment

I have purchased 3 MK4s (2 for gifts). I can't speak to Thermopro products. I do know all of Thermoworks products are top notch. Plus you get Jelly Bellies with every order.

Comment

I don’t have their instant read thermometer, but I have a ThermoPro remote food thermometer with dual probes and have been very happy with it. It is accurate as well, I’ve compared food temps with another brand of instant read, and it was spot on.

Comment

I have three MK4s and I love them all. They are indispensable. The Thermapen is higher quality than the Thermopro, the MK4 is waterproof, the battery lasts for ever and it reads faster. I would not even mess with the Thermopro.

Comment

I have tried other offerings in instant reads. I always go back to my Themapens. I have two and find the MK4 to be very worthwhile. I gave up on finding cheaper alternatives. I have gifted three to each of my children. Extremely well made, waterproof and it works!

BUT, never pay the list price. They have sales all the time. Reminds me of the old Sears pricing strategies and makes me wonder about the health of their business.

Comment

• Attjack
                    Attjack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good point. Never pay full price.

Rganaway If you're ready to pull the trigger today may be the day. They are running a 20% off promotion today on the MK4. If not they do run this promotion frequently.

Comment

I love our Thermapen MK4. We use it for everything, not just BBQ. Well worth the price. Spinaker makes some good points on its quality. Find a sale and buy one.

Comment

You'll be plenty happy with the TP-19 IMO. Bill (our thermometer guru) thinks very highly of it and gave it Gold. 1-3 yr warranty, and all for only $30.

I started out with an off brand folding Thermapen imitator, and I loved it. In fact I was in the "why should I pay $100 when this is the same thing for $15?" crowd. Then one day the housing literally came apart on my cheapy. I tried to unfold it and it just broke. So, I bought a $25 ThermoPop, because I couldn't afford a Thermapen. I love the T-pop. Used it for a couple years, still resistant to paying for a T-pen.

Then one day I bought a discounted open-box T-pen and came to see what I'd been missing. It really is nice, heavy, solid, quick, it's a Ferrari. Do you need it? No. Once you get one would you be glad you did? Probably. I do feel that those who pay for expensive things will always justify it by saying that expensive thing is "the best". Whether that's true or not is up to the purchaser to decide.

Something to consider when looking at the cheaper imitators is customer service. Will ThermoPro stand behind their products, will they honor a warranty claim since they offer 1-3yrs, etc. ThermoWorks is top notch in that regard. If ThermoPro doesn't, well you can buy 2 more for the price a single T-pen would cost you. It's all give & take and often the proverbial "you get what you pay for" applies, but not always.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I bit the bullet and ordered one. It was 20% off so I got a deal

Comment

• Attjack
                          Attjack commented
                          Editing a comment
                          When you're cooking a grill full of chicken you'll be able to temp every piece. The speed of the read is key.

• Michael_in_TX
                          Michael_in_TX commented
                          Editing a comment
                          You'll love it. There is no instant-read thermometer better.

• surfdog
                          surfdog commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Fine choice. I love mine...and recommend it often. LOL

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here