Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wireless Thermometer vs Primo Thermometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless Thermometer vs Primo Thermometer

Smoking a pork shoulder on PrimoXL400. I’m using a Remote Wireless BBQ & Meat Thermometer to currently measure the internal temp of the Primo at the food grate level. What continues to confuse me is I’m running a 60 degree difference between the Wireless thermometer and the Primo thermometer. Grate level reads 250 degrees and the Primo dome thermometer reading 190 degrees. Which one is the one to go by doing ribs and/or a Shoulder/Butt. I need some feedback on this. Thanks in advance.

Use the grate level temp. Your difference between grate and dome temps........these two locations in the cooker are normally quite different. It's also possible the dome gauge is very inaccurate. Most dome units are cheaply made even if the cooker is expensive.

Comment

Thank you for the response. I’m boiling some water now to check the accuracy of the wireless unit. I’ll have to remove the Primo thermometer in the near future and check it too.

Comment

The same is some pellet cookers. My Cabela's pellet Grill is off too. the hotter the temp the more it is off.

Comment

Agree with all of the above. I guess I am lucky my Primo dome thermo is with in a few degrees of all my pit probes.
          ronjacob what is the distance from your pit probe to the guest of honor (meat). The closer you get the more erratic it gets. A good 2-3 inches is great. Also if over the gap of the D-plates and firebox is bad.

Comment

• ronjacob
            ronjacob commented
            Editing a comment
            I used to have the wireless probe close to the edge of the deflector plates which I’m now thinking was part of the problem. I have moved it more towards the meat and further away from the edge. I’m now getting much closer readings between the two thermometers. Primo dome thermometer now reading 265 and wireless grate temperature at 245 degrees. After this cook is over I’m going to check and calibrate the Primo thermometer. Thanks for your feedback.

Smokes short ribs in a BGE and the dome thermometer read over 300 while the Fireboard at the grate read 220.

Comment

• ronjacob
            ronjacob commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for your feedback. I’m becoming les worrisome the more I read the responses.

When I got my Primo I calibrated the analog thermometer in boiling water and it now more closely matches the grate temperature. Remember the old saying that a man with one watch knows the time, a man with two watches is never really sure.

Comment

Clean the probe of your Primo. In my experience, the Primo thermometer is not far off from a grate temp probe.

Comment

• ronjacob
              ronjacob commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you. Will do.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here