Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Signals vs FB2 time to choose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Signals vs FB2 time to choose

I’ve read and watched all I could find. Now it’s time to choose. The ThermoWorks Signals and the Fireboard 2 being around the same price around here, it’s not about the money. Just torn between each one. Anyone tried both over a few cooks?

I have both. The FireBoard is superior in my experience and view. 6 ports for the FB, 4 for the Signals. The FB uses a better cloud-based session tracking and history - unlimited for the FB, accessible via browser or app on just about every device. The Signals has a history limit and requires downloading the data. The FB has real-time notes and photos you can add during your sessions. There are a few more, but those are the standouts to me. Plus the FB can drive a fan as a controller for temp control on kettles and such.

The Signals is a good WiFi device, just not up to the feature list and capabilities of the FB IMHO.

Comment

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      ditto

• kenrobin
      kenrobin commented
      Editing a comment
      I third that opinion.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Good points

I have both and GolfGeezer nailed it. For me, the drive fan controller capability is what sets it apart.

Comment

Thanks folks. Just confirms my ´almost’ choice. Funny part is that I am trying to convince myself to save 50$ and not get the Drive version because «I’ll never need a fan for my little smoker». Wonder how long that thinking will last!!

Comment

- I had both. Got rid of the Signals and got the FBx11 and recently updated to the FB2.
        - Though I like both Fireboards and everything it offers I would recommend shopping around at the different fan options. There is no doubt that the Fireboard offers a good fan but for me that 20cfm fan is too big for a Kamado. Yes I understand fully you can limit fan output but why should I have to do that.
        - One thing about Fireboard since they have teamed up with Yoder they have kept improving the product and adding additional functionality.
        - One last thing that may help in a decision is I have read but can't confirm that eventually the FB2 will be able to control 2 fans. If this comes to fruition it will fill a void that Stoker used to fill.
        - Lastly I don't want you to think I am a Fireboard homer. I like both of mine but as far as temperature control goes with a Kamado the Smobot runs circles around it. Data logging etc Fireboard wins.
        Last edited by tiewunon; September 21, 2020, 04:22 PM.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah I use the Pit Viper

• tiewunon
          tiewunon commented
          Editing a comment
          Spinaker thats a great great choice. I also run that fan on all my BGE's and Primo. I have even used the 6.5cfm fans from Flameboss and the offering from Auber Instruments with zero issues.

I have 2 fireboards and a pit viper fan, one is the old FB and i bought the FB2 when it came out. IMO this is a great setup and well worth having in the cabinet just in case MCS hits and you get a new smoker that needs a controller, the FB2 would work awesome.

Comment

I use BBQ Guru fans (the Pit Bull & Pit Viper) with my FireBoard Drive. I also have the Signals & Billows fan combo. The FB is a better product for the reasons already stated.

Comment

Fireboard 2 with pit viper works great for me in my 22" Weber kettle Can't imagine cooking low and slow without it.

Comment

I built a HeaterMeter years ago to use solely as a WiFi thermometer and cook tracker. It was fun to build and I really respect the dude that still runs the project. However, I got really tired of always chasing probe interference and compatibility issues, so I jumped on the KickStarter for Fireboard when I saw it. I loved my original Fireboard and recently upgraded to a Fireboard 2 Drive. I used it all the time at first, then with my pellet grills the past couple years having WiFi of their own, I only use it for long pellet cooks (6 hours plus I'd say), but I do use it almost every time I fire up the WSCG and usually with the fan. I've never had a problem other than one pit probe going bad and I probably caused that by getting it wet or something.

At the time they started Fireboard was a good deal ahead of anything else on the market for WiFi stability, tracking, notifications, etc. I think others are catching up, but I have no reason to consider even checking them out. I feel the others are still trying to catch all the way up to the FB. My Fireboard is the most reliable tech gadget I have for cooking. I never have quirky random WiFi problems with it, it just always works.

My favorite feature is the high and low alarms parameters, multiple alerting options (SMS, push, e-mail, etc.) and the nagging. I'm a heavy sleeper, so having it repeat every 5-10 minutes usually gets the wife to smack me to wake up if something goes wrong with an overnight cook. A lot of apps have just push notifications that are a quick beep and no repeats, etc. Not sure where the Signals is in this regard. Plus all of the other features others have already pointed out.

Also, I've run several cooks now pushing a fan without being hooked up to power. I don't know how long it will run, but I've done a couple 3-5 hour cooks this way.
              Last edited by glitchy; September 21, 2020, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here