Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New ThermoWorks App

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New ThermoWorks App

It looks like ThermoWorks has finally come out with an update to their App. From what I have read on this site most folks felt like ThermoWorks had first class hardware but their old App was clumsy and left a lot to be desired. I felt the same way

I have downloaded the new App but haven't had a chance to use it. Has anyone checked it out and if you have what are your thoughts? Is it better?

How does it stack up against the FireBoard App? I recently bought a FireBoard but with summer being so busy I haven't had a chance to check it out yet.
    Last edited by bep35; July 29, 2020, 10:51 AM.

i haven't had a long cook yet with the new app but just my short usage with it is much better. doing a pork butt in the PBC tomorrow and that will be my first long test with it and i will for sure update this post with my thoughts then.

Comment

• bep35
      bep35 commented
      Editing a comment
      Looking forward to hearing how the cook goes.

• Sam6687
      Sam6687 commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, 4 hours in to the cook and no crashes or gaps in the graph. I went from having buyer's remorse to happy customer in 4 hours. I will let you know how it finishes the cook, but so far this update to the app is a win for me.

I have used it 3 times and it worked flawlessly with my billows.

so far I am 3 for 3. I too was an outspoken critic of their app.

looks like I might owe them an apology now. Time will tell.

Edit: I have no experience with FB and only did mid length and short cook.

Comment

• bep35
      bep35 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the response. Good to hear they addressed some of the concerns users had.

It's MUCH better IMO...but alas I've never used the FB app or hardware.

Comment

I used it for the first time with my Signals and Billows on a brisket cook and it was much better than the previous app. I was having wifi problems throughout the cook so I wasn't always getting updates to my phone but that isn't the apps fault. Much easier to use and much more intuitive than the previous app.

Comment

• bep35
        bep35 commented
        Editing a comment
        Sounds promising. I see a smoke cook in my future to check it out. Thanks.

I used it this past weekend to smoke a chuck roast. It worked just fine, had some nice features like graphs and downloading the data. Two downsides are that it was a pain to set up with my Smoke and Gateway, and I made several notes during the cook that seem to be lost. Still, it's alot better than the old app.

Comment

• bep35
        bep35 commented
        Editing a comment
        It seems to me setup was an issue with the old app. I was hoping they would have made that part easier. I will have to schedule a cook and see for myself. Thanks.

I no longer have my Signals to have a use for their app, but I'm happy to hear they've improved it.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        bep35 Their app certainly didn't inspire me to keep the whole set-up, but no it wasn't totally the app's fault. I prefer my remote thermometers to have their own standalone receiver, and not necessitate a smartphone, but that's just personal preference. Currently I have a Smoke X and a few Maverick XR50s.

• NotTheGolfer
        NotTheGolfer commented
        Editing a comment
        I did an overnight cook yesterday with my Signals/Billows. The device froze on a pit temperature of 154 and put temperature of 235 for about five hours during the night. I turned off the signals and restarted it, and the meat temp was down to 114, and the pit temp was down in the 100’s. This device nearly ruined an $80 brisket. Fortunately, I was able to get the brisket in the oven and save it, but I will never use the ThermoWorks Signals again.

• bep35
        bep35 commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, that's not good. Hopefully it's a one time issue.

So far for me the new app rocks. Works perfectly with my signals and bellows

Comment

• bep35
        bep35 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the comment.

The temp will seem like it's frozen when it looses it's connection.

Comment

Someone will have to tell me what everyone has against ThermoPro. I use their stuff and their app, and for the $, consistency and savings I am not disappointed. Their customer service for me has been top notch too.

Comment

I've been using there products for years now. Great company. Great products. Great customer service.
          I think I have 5 of there products. Love them.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here