Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What grate thermometer to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What grate thermometer to use?

I've got a Green Mountain Grills Davy Crockett grill that I have a temperature difference between the set point and the actual temperature of 40* to 70*. In talking with them (GMG) I told them I was using a Smoke probe to get the temperature next to the meat. Their reply is that you can't use a Smoke. Use a $5 oven thermometer bought at Walmart Kitchen section. I didn't exactly understand their reasoning but am complying with the request. Anybody got any thoughts about which is better? I think I know the answer but would like to get some other input.

Thanks in advance.

Someone at Green Montain doesn't know what they are talkin' about. Your smoke is calibrated at the factory and no $5 match it - unless by accident...

Comment

Sounds like another company trying to hide their shortcomings. A thermoworks Smoke is going to be WAYYYY more accurate than a $5 analog gauge. Unfortunately you get what you pay for. I understand GMG don't seem cheap but in the world of smokers they're an entry level grill.

Comment

You talked to an idiot at GMG apparently. The Thermoworks are calibrated, accurate scientific instruments. An analog oven thermometer from Walmart is not, and is likely +/- 20 degrees.

Is the probe built into the GMG at the grate level, or above or below it? If it’s not at grate level, it can certainly be off from what your food is seeing. Unless there is a way to calibrate the GMG controller, your best bet is learning how far off it is, trusting your Smoke, and just adjust what you set the cooker too, or split the difference.

The analog thermometer on my Performer is surprisingly accurate, but reads 50-100 higher than my Smoke does at grate level If I drop the smoke probe into the top vent and leave it at the same level as the built in, they read very close. I trust the Smoke, and go by it. Temp is higher up higher in about any cooker.

Comment

• Razor
          Razor commented
          Editing a comment
          "You talked to an idiot at GMG apparently." 😂

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry @Razor.... too harsh?

Maybe they think you are using the Smoke PROBE to replace their probe or something wonky like that? Just tell them your grate level temp is 40-70 off from the set temp, and that you are measuring that with a Thermowroks Smoke, don’t say probe. Maybe that confused the tech support person.

Having worked in a call center, often the folks hired don’t really know or understand the product, and often just follow a script of questions and answers. They probably didn’t know what a "Smoke" or a "probe" are...

Comment

Hey guys, THANKS for your replys. You're telling me exactly what I thought too. I've got a Kamado Joe at home and use the Smoke all the time at grill level. The reason I used the Walmart therms was "to go along to get along" since they were trying to resolve the problem. They sent me a new board and sensor, and I'm working with that now. I'm going to do a grill calibration as per Meathead's method.

Again, THANKS!!!!

Backpacker

Comment

I've owned two different reputable pellet grills in the past and neither one were accurate for the actual temp at the grate level. Not to mention when the outside temp gets over 100 degrees. I'd see temp variations of 100 degrees.

Comment

• Cheef
              Cheef commented
              Editing a comment
              I will second this. My former Memphis Pro would be off 40 degrees consistently from the Signals. It would drive me crazy.
              I plan to use it eventually with the PG500 when I begin playing with LHT?HHT.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here