Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thermoworks has a new "super fast" thermometer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermoworks has a new "super fast" thermometer.

I don't know if it's faster than their Thermopen, but it's supposed to be less than 4 seconds and less than half the price of the thermopen:

Very Cool, gonna stay with my Thermopops, an Thermapens right now, but might git to hankerin fer one of these, in th foreseeable future lol

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      I likeys th size/profile, makin it a more ergonomically transportable thermo, so I'm thinkin on it...

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, its nice to see new stuff, but I'm continuing with my Thermapen (classic) until it dies on me. Which it might, as its been wonky at times since my daughter in law tossed it into a sink full of soapy water with the dishes, and washed it for me. Hint - Thermapen classic is not waterproof! I have their older RT600C pocket digital too, which was my first thermometer of any accuracy beyond an old analog dial meat thermometer...

Since I am looking for one of these, that was a nice surprise when I got the email. But I am not confused by the models. What’s the big difference between this new one and the Pop, compared to the Thermapen mk4?

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      The difference is accuracy and speed of the reading. The Thermapen uses a thermocouple in the tip, for much faster readings. The Thermopop uses a thermistor, which is slower and a little less accurate. Not sure what type of probe the new one uses.

I just saw the email and looked at this new thermometer. It's much more accurate than the Thermopop, and +/- 0.9F compared to +/- 2.0F for the Thermopop. Not quite so large a display though. The Thermapen reads 1-2 seconds faster, and is +/- 0.7F accurate, but as you point out, costs twice as much.

For my money, if you want accuracy this is a pretty good buy. For brewing beer, I need accuracy of less than 1 degree, as a couple of degrees can make a huge difference in the results of the mash process. For steaks and such, the Thermopop is still probably accurate enough, plus it has a larger display.
    Last edited by jfmorris; June 29, 2020, 08:51 AM.

Comment

The Thermopop says it is also 3-4 seconds, too

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Right. It is just less accurate, but has a bigger screen.

Kinda seems like the same guts as the Pop, just repackaged.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Hmmm, could be, an I wouldn't be mad at em, if they jus up an said so; "Th guts ya've come to trust, in a more ergonomic/portable size/shape." Full disclosure is always a win win deal, imo.
        I have multiple pops, an I consider em my day to day go to...

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        The Thermopop is +/- 2.0F accurate, the new Dash is +/- 0.9F accurate, so not the same guts.

I may order the mini version. I have the rhermapen so don’t need to duplicate that. But having a thermometer with a shorter probe would be useful.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        For what?

At $39 it looks like a Thermopop killer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dash_Blue-DASH-gen01.jpg?resizeid=6&resizeh=1000&resizew=1000.jpg
Views:	1138
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	872190

Comment

• Polarbear777
        Polarbear777 commented
        Editing a comment
        Sure seems like there is no need to continue the pop line.

Please stop posting this stuff. Oh never mind I got the mail. I'm screwed. 🤔

Comment

Yeah... I opened that email and bought it almost immediately. Again.

Well, I was in need of a battery for the "Pro Needle" so bought a new thermometer too. Picked up batteries for other ones too.

It’s hopeless.

edit:
        I have a ridiculous amount of ThermoWorks products and love all of them except for one.
        Last edited by HouseHomey; June 29, 2020, 08:30 PM.

Comment

• surfdog
          surfdog commented
          Editing a comment
          Woohoo! Someone more "sick" than myself! LOL

I saw it and thought, "Cool, but doesn’t really do anything my Pro Needle can’t do" so didn’t order one... Yet.

Do you keep a thermometer in a sleeve pocket? Curious to know how this one fits.

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          surfdog I try to so yes. If not I have it laying around somewhere. One on the front line, one or two in the back kitchen. One in my backpack, one in my knife roll. Yeah, I’m the butt of a lot of jokes. Until some one has issues and needs a thermometer or probe.

• daggio
          daggio commented
          Editing a comment
          Which one?

Well, my Weber instant read crapped out on my today. I only spent $12 on it and it lasted 6 years.

I need to buy a "decent but not expensive" instant read to keep at my inlaws for when I grill there. And a "nicer but not crazy priced" instant read for me.....

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds like this new thermometer for your house, and maybe a slightly cheaper Thermopop for your in-laws house will do the trick - and still come in cheaper than a Thermapen. Of course, today I got an email saying the BLUE Thermapen Mark IV is on sale for 20% off....

• BFlynn
          BFlynn commented
          Editing a comment
          I just saw that the Mk 4 comes in camo now..... so, that's probably a done deal.

Which, really, is a bad choice for when I take it to lease, set it down, and cant find it.

I'd take a Lavatools Javelin for $26 over a Thermopop or this new Dash every day of the week.

Comment

• BFlynn
          BFlynn commented
          Editing a comment
          Histrix What do you like about it?

• Histrix
          Histrix commented
          Editing a comment
          BFlynn I like the folding tip (no sheath to misplace), fits in a pocket, large digits, and the price. I bought a Thermopop when they first came out and ...hate it - digits too small, buttons too hard to push, sheath always seemed to end up somewhere besides where I thought it was.
          Performance wise there doesn't seem to be any difference. I've been pleased with the thermos I've bought from Lavatools and Thermoworks (except the Pop) but for a low price thermo it's hard to beat a Javelin.

Hello. First post and new member. What sealed the deal on joining for me today was the 20% deal on the Mk.4, but I thought I'd try to combine the $20 the mk4 that supposedly comes with our membership? That's what the front page had said.

I know this is probably not a great place to ask if you all know how to activate the $20 off deal that supposedly came with our membership? But, it seemed like it was tied to this topic as well, including jfmorris's comment about the 20% off blue mk4 deal going on at the moment.

Thanks, and hello!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Phil. The deal is just a normal Thermoworks sale, and only for the blue Mk 4:

https://www.thermoworks.com/Thermape...RoCDb0QAvD_BwE

Edit to add that it's a 48 hour sale - don't know when it started, (or ends)...
          Last edited by RonB; June 30, 2020, 08:55 PM.

Comment

I just ordered a thermopop for my lake house and a Dash for my daughter, who is about to leave back to college and live in her first apartment. So, figured this would be a good start to properly learning how to cook. And, I made it a pink Dash, since that’s her favorite color!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here