Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FireBoard 2 Case?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FireBoard 2 Case?

So I got my FB 2 a week ago. Really like it so far. BUT: there’s no kick stand, no magnet etc. All it can do is lie flat on a table. Does anyone know of a case for it, original or 3rd party? A quick internet search gave this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	5D6F66B6-01AB-46A3-9D0F-618BDCF103C5.jpeg
Views:	588
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	871813

https://www.etsy.com/listing/8090223...drive-magnetic

But I’m curious if anyone knows if there are other products out there?

Thanks, Henrik
    Last edited by Henrik; June 28, 2020, 10:54 PM.

I have some vague memory that lonnie mac hung a sandal on the wall and kept it in there. If so, he has a picture. If not, I'll blame it on hallucinations....again.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      A sandal, that sounds like a cheap and smart solution!

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I think a flip-flop would work better :Y:

According to the FireBoard (in their Facebook group) they are shooting for midsummer (or perhaps as late as mid-August) to have a magnetic case available.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, will be interesting to see what price tag they put on it. I love the FB products, but their accessories tend to be a bit expensive. We'll see :-)

Henrik this seems like an opportunity for expansion of your product line...

Comment

How about getting a self adhesive magnet and stick it to the back of the case?

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        That _could_ work, but it doesn't satisfy my MCS ;-)

I bought these on Amazon for another purpose many moons ago. Applied one of the strips to the back and, presto!, works like a charm.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

• pkadare
        pkadare commented
        Editing a comment
        A minimalist case for the FireBoard 2. Printed at 100% scale, this case fits snugly around my FB2. There is also a lid available here:https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4514792 Three versions are available; print whichever one suits you. I've added magnets to all styles, details below. One with the FireBoard logo embossed (if FireBoard contacts me to remove, I will) One without the FireBoard logo embossed One with a 52mm cavity in the center to accommodate a large magnet For the one with a large magnet cavity in the design, I used Harbor Freight #96651 - 50mm round magnet. The magnet can be glued in place, but it isn't necessary since it remains captive behind the FB2 unit itself. This magnet provides plenty of pull and I find that it holds my FB2 in place easily on vertical surfaces. I think I'd still trust the one with a magnet cavity more just because I'd rather not rely upon glue. For the other two with no specific magnet cavity, I used Harbor Freight #67488 - rare earth magnets. These are tiny little magnets that are very strong for their size. I found that by gluing five of these to the back of the case, it holds on a vertical surface. Using six would provide even more security.

• pkadare
        pkadare commented
        Editing a comment
        He has 3 designs, one has a cavity for a magnet.

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Brilliant, thanks pkadare! Emailed the link to my friend.

Their tiny readout on the original (which is now resolved) and their piss poor solution to a waterproof case were two of the complaints I had with the OG unit. I can't for the life of me understand how a simple plastic case with magnets can't be offered standard. Everyone else does it.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Exactly! How can they not offer a simple kick stand or similar? Selling an overpriced case in August seems like a bad idea.Will see if I can't get that 3D print thingy done.

After I received mine a couple weeks ago I thought the same thing. I really don’t want to put any magnetic tape on the back. I seem to always have a table close to where I’m cooking but a case with a strap like the old one had would be nice.

Comment

Ha! What started as a joke... My waterproof case for the FB V1. Man those were the days.

In these days though, No magnets to attach to some steel? No stand? Can't throw it into the pool like my GoPro? What is the world coming to!

Click image for larger version  Name:	vv5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	286.9 KB ID:	872283
        Last edited by lonnie mac; June 29, 2020, 06:15 PM.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
          ComfortablyNumb commented
          Editing a comment
          Flashback!!

• BFlynn
          BFlynn commented
          Editing a comment
          That's genius

Figure this might work

I have also used bailing wire to hang an oven mit from the PBC horseshoe handle and put my maverick base unit inside it.
        Last edited by BFlynn; June 29, 2020, 07:24 PM.

Comment

• pkadare
          pkadare commented
          Editing a comment
          There are plans for an FB case on Thingiverse that is designed to fit this exact mount.

Nice product. I just ordered one for myself.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here