Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need to replace Thermoworks Smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to replace Thermoworks Smoke

My Smoke died after slightly less than a year of moderate use. I'm looking to replace it with another 2 channel thermometer.

Tell me about your recommendation. I really don't need an app or logging. I just want to be able to keep an eye on my smoker and meat with a remote receiver. Something like the Smoke but more durable would be perfect.

How about a Maverick XR50?

Comment

Did you try and get this covered under warranty? It shows a two year coverage if you are the original buyer.
      Last edited by HawkerXP; June 21, 2020, 12:54 PM.

Comment

• Bkhuna
        Bkhuna commented
        Editing a comment
        No. I never thought of that. I'll check in to it.

What’s dead about it? My smoke has been very reliable. My only issue has been the probes, you gotta be gentle with them and be very careful with water. I’ve switched to their water proof needle probes for reading meat temp and have been happy with those.

Comment

In spite of a couple of sets of new batteries, I still get HHH codes on the temperature indicators. Additionally, the plug for the probes has gotten loose and the mini-pins don't make solid contact. If I bump the table the unit is sitting on, the temperature jumps around on the display. So I've taken to using my ChefAlarm to verify the smoker temp.

Comment

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          I just had to resolder the probe port to the circuit board on my DOT for similar issue. My DOT is 5 years old.

• Alabama Smoke
          Alabama Smoke commented
          Editing a comment
          CALL Thermoworks for sure. You are in warranty. As far as your probes reading HHH, you likely need new probes. As indicated above, they are very sensitive to water....also to very high temps. You can buy probes pretty inexpensively and will have to regardless of brand.

I'd definitely call Thermoworks. They are usually pretty helpful. Good luck. I Like my Smoke.

Comment

• N227GB
          N227GB commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed.

I have a Smoke, Thermapen, and IR gun. All great products.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here