Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Indoor Ovens have a Use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indoor Ovens have a Use

If memory serves me well (getting bad with the years) I read in a post some time back by Huskee that alerted me to the use of an indoor oven.

A perfect yesterday had me cooking a 3 pound pickled eisbein (ham hock) and in my excitement of the end result at a fairly dark and late hour I forgot to bring my XR50 inside.
    On entering my wagon this morning I saw the reciever and on closer inspection knew immediately something was wrong.
    It had turned to a miserable wind, cold and rainy night and my unit had been exposed to the elements.
    The sender was stuck on one of the kettle legs. I had only used 3 probes and two of the probes were outside and the third inside the kettle.
    My heart literally sank when I saw the temp readings on the reciever. The 2 outside probes showed a temp reading of 38C and 34C and the probe under the lid read 24C. The actual temp outside was around 11C.

I have 2 XR50 units but only 5 probes left the others have died, so you can understand my stress. I got one of the probes that hadn't been exposed and plugged it into the sender and it also gave me a false reading. I was now sweating in the cold weather thinking I'd killed the sender.
    That's when I remembered reading a post that I think was by Huskee. So I cranked up the indoor oven to about 80C and put the probes in for a time. In my angst I decided to put the reciever in as well. Didn't keep track of how long they were baking for but when I removed them the sender's screen was a very unusual dark grey almost black. I thought I had killed it because when I plugged the probes in nothing happened. I removed the battery cover and in doing so aldo realised that wssnt very bright of me to have left the batteries in.
    So by now you've got the picture and I'm not going to draw it out any further but to say everything is now working as it did before.

I am not advocating you do this just sharing my experience that indoor ovens do have a use.

Man, I'm glad to hear about some else who can do a series of dumb moves and get lucky in the end. And on a international level.

Comment

holehogg Had this little gizmo made up specifically for you mate. Cheers

Comment

So - what kind of sauce did you put on them batteries? Inquiring minds want to know.

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Bwahahaha

• holehogg
          holehogg commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry trade secret.

For a moment I thought I was listening to one of my pilots! LoL! Glad all turned out ok.

Comment

And to think. I thought the oven was just another storage place for my bbq equipment. 🤔
          You got me thinking again. And that can be a bad thing. 😬

Comment

Glad they're still workin, Brother!
            We've all had our moments...

Comment

Well it proves we can all have our foibles.

Comment

A surprising happy ending

Comment

I’m going to advocate for you my friend.

Everyone please. Please do not do any of the things mentioned above. Please.

Thank you.
                  The Staff

Comment

• holehogg
                    holehogg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Just realised I omitted to mention that in the post I read - was to use the oven heat to dry out probes and only probes. I hope my post didn't come across as guidance of any kind.
                    I took a risky chance and only because equipment is not readily available here and don't come cheap when importing.

Thanks HH for advocating for me.

• HouseHomey
                    HouseHomey commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ha. I was just having fun at your expense.

Carry on fine sir!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here