Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inkbird Thermometers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inkbird Thermometers

I was kind of surprised with the recent wireless thermometer thread that no-one other than me uses/suggested Inkbird. I feel like it is a tremendous value at $50 for a Bluetooth 4 probe version (6 probes are $60) that works up to 150 feet and $100 for a WiFi version. There's also an instant read pen thermometer for $25. Given the Thermoworks Signals is $229, the Smoke $99, and the Thermoworks pen is $80, the savings are significant. I thought I'd start a thread to see if we can get some more love for these things.

https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Waterproof-Thermometer-Rechargeable-Calibration/dp/B07X9ZSCD8/

https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Thermometer-Rechargeable-Wireless-Calibration/dp/B07XNTJKY4/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076QDC5VL/

(is there a better way to link Amazon so AR gets a referral?)

The features look comparable, so the value is definitely there.

I have the four probe version and it keeps up its connection around the house, while the WiFi on the Masterbuilt drops out at the end of the driveway (I've bought a $8 antenna to extend the range for the next cook). The app is easy to use, and the cords and probies appear to be of reasonably high quality.

The most common objections I've read are that the maker is Chinese, customer support quality is unknown/questionable, and the apps are not updated. I get the preference for U.S. made devices, where possible, especially as most grills are made in China. On the customer support, I guess I will say I owned a Maverick thermometer for nearly five years and never had the need to call customer support.

For the apps, I will point out that InkBird has multiple apps for its devices, and if the device is newer, you will need a different app than the older devices. These new apps that are made to take advantage of the new device features are under constant development with updates being released as bugs are ironed out.

The older apps with the more established devices (for example, the four probe version) are not updated. I have a iPhone XR and the "BBQ Go" app works flawlessly for me. I would understand the objections here a bit better if the app did not work, but it does, so I have no issues.

I can also understand how it could be confusing for a consumer to see multiple apps for similar devices. However, I wanted to point out the the devices are a great value and being actively supported with new devices and software development.
    Last edited by STEbbq; May 31, 2020, 07:59 AM.

Dad, KenC52 uses one.

Comment

While I prefer to buy American made products such as FireBoard, many US branded products are made in China and cost more because of their markup. That and Amazon’s direct to consumer model has allowed some Chinese manufacturers to sell direct at a lower price without necessarily lower quality. My $100 Thermopen failed in year 3 and the company blew me off. In retrospect I’d have been better off buying the $20 one you point to in your post.

Comment

I have a Govee 6 probe Bluetooth only unit that I bought from Amazon last fall when I found myself at my vacation home in VA while my Fireboard was at home in PA. I got 1 day shipping and had use of it for the end of the weekend. I paid something like $32 with a promo code. It is on Amazon now for $41 and change. The probe cables are a tad short, but functional. It has a good rating from Bill on the free side. I'm really dedicated to my FB and may upgrade to a gen 2 this summer, but for the money, the Govee is an awesome 6 probe backup.

Comment

• STEbbq
          STEbbq commented
          Editing a comment
          I guess the advantage of the FB is the ability to post temp charts here. I can see the value for some but I find it more fun to post food pics!

I love the first customer question for the foldout thermometer.🤣

Comment

• STEbbq
          STEbbq commented
          Editing a comment
          Oooh. That’s a butt clencher.

I don't know about the rechargeable part. My Thermapen Mk IV is like 5 years old and I haven't had to change the battery yet.

Comment

• STEbbq
          STEbbq commented
          Editing a comment
          I have had no issues recharging mine. I did a 12 hour cook on a brisket and it was maybe 90% when done.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here