Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Probe interchangability by brand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probe interchangability by brand?

I have two therm-pro thermometers, and a fireboard on pre-order. Does anyone know whether I can mix/match probes? Also I'm interested in the thermoworks needle probe. Does anyone know whether that will work in thermpro or fireboard?

Thanks!
    Andy

Some probes do, some don't.

Comment

headphone jack probes are not usually interchangeable but can be for certain brands, k-style usually are interchangeable.

A good way to check is by searching aftermarket probes on Amazon. Usually they will have a list of compatible models for that probe type.
      Last edited by ItsAllGoneToTheDogs; May 27, 2020, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Just noticed coincidently that the fireboard probes and the BBQGuru probes are a different phone plug size, so definitely not interchangable.

Comment

@MadUncleAndy, I use the needle almost exclusively but be careful of the cable, I let one of mine get between the lid & base on my pellet grill & melted the outer insulation. I put a coating of high temp food grade silicon on it, that was 4 years ago & it still works fine use it 3 or 4 times a week.

Comment

I've since seen Fireboard offers needle (they call it "competition") probes, and ordered a pair. They arrived this afternoon, and am jonesing to give them a try!

Comment

Funny you should ask. Two nights ago I was using my Fireboard for a rack of lamb cook. I couldn't understand why the ambient cooker temperature kept showing numbers in the 20's F when I knew darn well the grill was on and hot. Then I realized that I had inadvertently plugged in one of my old thermoworks maverick ambient probes. Switched it out with the proper Fireboard probe and it read fine. So even though the probes were plug compatible, the weren't functionally compatible.

Comment

I say nope. They tweak them on purpose so they remain proprietary and you have to buy their probes.

Comment

My Weber iGrill probes work on my Fireboard. But they're not much cheaper than buying from Fireboard.

My multiple Maverick probes do not.

Comment

Fireboard V2 has a setting where you set probes to 100k, 10k, or RTD.
                    The ones that come with the Fireboard are 100k.

So it looks ike you can set it to use other types of probes. Not sure if it works with yours specifically

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200630-145630_FireBoard.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	872794
                    Last edited by BFlynn; June 30, 2020, 01:57 PM.

Comment

I sure wish I could find replacements for the terrible ones Thermoworks uses. After buying multiple sets for my Smoke, I am done buy them. When my latest ones go out, I am not buying anything else from them. I have an MK4, and a thermopop and love them. They started off so awesome but they know they have temp probe issues and don't seem to care. (rant over)

Comment

Originally posted by theroc View Post
                        Funny you should ask. Two nights ago I was using my Fireboard for a rack of lamb cook. I couldn't understand why the ambient cooker temperature kept showing numbers in the 20's F when I knew darn well the grill was on and hot. Then I realized that I had inadvertently plugged in one of my old thermoworks maverick ambient probes. Switched it out with the proper Fireboard probe and it read fine. So even though the probes were plug compatible, the weren't functionally compatible.
                        I just last week had a problem with my Fireboard (resolved now) and plugged my FB probe into an old ThermPro unit while I ran inside to read the FB troubleshooting page, and got lucky. ThermPro seems to read FB probes well. Dunno about vice versa.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here