Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone with Maverick ET-735 experience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone with Maverick ET-735 experience?

Anyone used this one yet? I like the 4 probe ability, but not as gung ho on the Bluetooth, would rather WiFi. I like that it at least has a display on it, so I don't have to rely on the app.

...unless you want to see the temps from in your house. Them you need to use the app....but only as far away as bluetooth permits. David Parrish has one.

I emailed Maverick casting my vote for an ET735 with a dedicated remote display and RF like the ET732. Let's see if they listen.

Comment

I would much rather have the RF. WiFi would be a next best, because I can make that work, I have spare routers to use a repeaters that would ensure good coverage there. BT tho, I just tried my wife's headphones and got spotty reception from her desk to the grill, but mine is closer to the grill. Then to, the head phones don't claim the same range as the thermometer.

And I was refering to the iCelcius with 4 ports, but no way to see with out the app..
      Last edited by mhalbrook; May 24, 2015, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Never expect BT to work reliably through a brick wall. It is low-power-technology, and 2,4GHz does not penetrate well.

About distance-claims by the manufacturer:

1.) BT is bidirectional. You are limited to the performance of the weaker part. Even if your thermometer can cover 50ft, the phone on the other end needs to cover the distance, too, otherwise you have no communication.

2.) I have never seen BT to work realiably through a brick-wall. The 732 is sometimes not able to penetrate our house, I need to find good spots in our living-room. For the 735, the manufacturer claims only half the reach of the 732, so using a 735 would restrict me quite a lot.

Besides, who can be sure that hisphone's battery lasts through a long job? The 732/733 have a battery that lasts a full season.

The ET-735 is a concession to the current trend of smartphone-enabled thermometers. They want a share of that market, too, which is legitimate. But I don't expect the same level of reliability as with the 732/733.

The only advantage: By using an app, they can extend the functionality and introduce logging-capability, nice graphs and so on. This is nice to have if you want to show documentation of your grilling on a forum, but it does not improve what lies on your table ofter the grilling is done :-)

Regards,

Detlev
        Last edited by top_gun_de; May 25, 2015, 03:31 AM.

Comment

After using the ET-735 for a couple of cooks I went back to my ET-732. The 735 has poor range due to the bluetooth and the app they provide for the smartphone is lacking. It boggles the mind that it can't log temps over time.

Comment

Even Apple and Google realized that Bluetooth is okay, but WiFi is more important for connected devices.. The Apple Watch and now many of the Android Wear Watches all use WiFi or Bluetooth. It works for somethings, but not all. And this is an area where it's not the ideal. Someone needs to build a 4G/LTE device.. lol

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here