Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving on from Maverick 733

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving on from Maverick 733

I’ve had two different Et-733’s since joining AR, but I’m ready to try something else. So sick of receivers that can’t/won’t sync with the transmitter. Considering the XR-50, Smoke, and Fireboard as replacement options. I only really would ever use two probes at once, just want something that is user friendly and maybe fun to use to help keep the cooks great. Also, I got an email from Thermoworks this morning about some of their bundles on sale. Any thoughts always appreciated.

I like the XR-50 a lot. Its range is very good. The magnets are nice. The price is reasonable. However, I wish it could be muted. I wish you could set alarms via the remote unit. I wish you could switch the backlighting on instead of it automatically turning off after a few seconds. I also think the stand is cheaply made. Overall I recommend it.

Comment

• Hulagn1971
      Hulagn1971 commented
      Editing a comment
      I too wish the alarm could be muted.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I should have added in the positive column the fact that the XR-50 is waterproof.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Dear god give me a mute button, and a way to set timers from the remote unit. Other than that, FLAWLESS VICTORY in my opinion.

I would go with the Fireboard, it is the one I will go to when my Maverick dies. I would not even consider the Smoke, might look at there Signals, to compare.

I just checked Thermopro for a deal they are having and they are finally shipping Smoke X. This is supposed to be an improvement over the original Smoke.

Last edited by mountainsmoker; May 6, 2020, 12:21 PM. Reason: Smoke X

Comment

I have 2 732's which I basically don't use anymore since getting a Fireboard. In fact I like the Fireboard enough that I bought a second one. Hope this helps.

Comment

I have a Smoke that I trust.

Trusting the output is really the only thing I look for in a unit. I don't care about WiFi, BT, remote display, or anything else. Is the displayed temperature correct? Then I'm okay.

I also trust my DigiQ, but that is part of my fan controller. So I only use it on some cooks.

If I had a Fireboard I might trust it as well, but I don't have one. That would be more thermometers than I have places to use them.
        Last edited by Mosca; May 6, 2020, 12:18 PM.

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          There's a joke there...

I’ve got most of the ones mentioned but the Fireboard is the one I turn to and use the most.

Comment

Well the Fireboard is a very different animal from the Smoke or XR50. If you want what it does and are willing the spend the money, people here seem to love them.

I have the Smoke and it's excellent for what it is - a basic, very well built 2 probe unit. The receiver is strictly a receiver - if you want to change an alarm threshold etc you have to do that on the sending unit for example. It's built like a tank and does a good basic job. It's a 2 probe unit, so if you cook things that all are at the same temp, it's fine. If you cook multiple things at once that heat differently, it's not the unit for you - you can't put a prob in, say, a chicken, pork butt and another in the cooker to monitor its temp.

Comment

I’ve had several different brands and ever since I bought the fireboard I’ve given the others away to friends and family. Couple it with an instant read and a thermopro dot and you have a great setup.

Comment

I have the smoke. Does what is needed. Two probes are enough. Simple.

Comment

I went from an ET-732 to the Fireboard and I’ve never looked back. Fireboard does it all, including things we never even knew we needed. And they keep adding capability to it without charging you more.

Comment

I have a Maverick ET-732 and a ET-735...I have since bought an XR-50. I liked the first one so much i bought a second XR-50 along with some probes with extended length cables...

Comment

I went from the Signal to the Smoke x4 and so far very satisfied. It actually works!

Comment

Another Smoke user...

Comment

I have 3 different mavrics a Taylor, and an Oregon scientific. The xr50 it the go to.

Comment

Take your choice....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Thermo Drawer.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	843101

....I agree with most of the others. For your particular needs and best value, I'd go with the XR-50 (the one on the far left)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here