Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First use of FireBoard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First use of FireBoard

I just replaced my Thermoworks Smoke remote thermometer with a FireBoard setup. The Smoke worked well for a couple of years, but was limited to two channels, and the probes kept failing. I used the two channels for the smoker/grill temp and the food temp, and needed to be close by for the remote to read. Often they'd get separated. Overall good technology for when it was introduced, but technology has advanced quite a bit since then.

The FireBoard has 6 channels, but it's light years ahead with its connectivity and app; uses both Bluetooth and WiFi and really simple to set up. I just cooked 2 briskets, each about 14 pounds, and used one probe in each and one in the smoker. What's so nifty is how it plots the three on an app or computer to see the food go from refrigerator to fully cooked and how it teaches you so much more. Here's an image of my session. It's a little sporadic, with moving the probes in the middle of the cook. You can see the downward spikes in the smoker temp (Yoder 480) when I opened the lid, and how the temp varied when I changed the probe location in the brisket. The product, both hardware and software, are very well thought out. No need to start or stop the cook; all done automatically. While this doesn't show, I annotated various activities along the way and took pictures at the beginning, midway and the end.

I'd like the FireBoard app to work in landscape mode and the device isn't waterproof or as rugged as the Smoke. They do sell an optional weather resistant housing. But overall it's a great product - at least based on first use.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BBQPhil; April 30, 2020, 05:33 PM.

I have to agree, rock solid product. Use it all the time.

Comment

Love mine too and wouldn’t be without it. On my iPads the app works in landscape and portrait.

Comment

• BBQPhil
        BBQPhil commented
        Editing a comment
        Good to know.

I also love my FireBoard. The Wifi connection was simple to setup and has eliminated the spotty Bluetooth connectivity I’ve had with other temperature devices.

Comment

I put mine inside a Ziploc bag if the weather is iffy. No issue with not being rain proof.

Comment

I love my Fireboards. Some BBQ buddies wonder what I do with 6 probe options--well, for starters the first two channels go to ambient probes since I monitor the smoker temp in two places (opposite sides of the cooker) for all cooks on my PBC and WSCGC. I only use 1 ambient probe for my 22" Weber Kettle, though. Then, if I happen to have 2 smokers/cookers going at once, the 4 extra probes get used up quickly. Even with my WSCGC in Kamado mode, I have the luxury of probing each piece of meat on the grate if I so choose.

I bought an extra Fireboard and Drive Cable on Fireboard's last Black Friday sale. It's nice because I can thermostatically control two cookers at once if I want to.

Fireboards with driver cables with Pit Viper fans rock, IMO.

Kathryn

Comment

• BBQPhil
            BBQPhil commented
            Editing a comment
            Today my neighbor, a local chef, brought me 3 racks of ribs and a rib roast to cook. The deal is he buys the meat, I cook it, and we share. Very quickly I used 4 probes. 2 for the racks, one for the roast and one for the smoker temp.I do find the temp measuring the grill to be off from the grill setting (Yoder) - often by 20-30. I will try 2 probes.

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            BBQPhil , when I first got my PBC several years ago, I would fiddle with adjusting the temp all the time, going on the information of 1 ambient probe. Then I started using 2 ambient probes, placed on opposite sides of the barrel. I found that the temperature differences could be 40 to 60 degrees different especially at the start of the cook, coming closer together as the cook progressed, and sometimes switching--the cooler side became the hotter side. Averaging the readouts works best now.

K.

fzxdoc You knew I had to do it!

Click image for larger version

Name:	pizza6.JPG
Views:	622
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	840099

BBQPhil Brother welcome to the FB world! LOTS of FB users on these boards.

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            best FB case ever!

That's one of the all-time best photos on The Pit, lonnie mac .

I wonder why the Fireboard folks never snatched up your idea for a holder.

Kathryn

Comment

Only thing I haven't done is pulled the trigger on the fan control. I rarely use the built - in probe on my pellet grill anymore.

Comment

• pknj
              pknj commented
              Editing a comment
              As fzxdoc said, the Pit Viper is the best pairing if you want constant fan control. I got the FB fan for father's day last year and it couldn't really handle the WSCG for some reason, but it is perfect with the Pit Viper. Don't use it every cook, but when I do I love it

I sure do Ike the FireBoard from the research I’ve done. When I buy my next thermo, this will be it. But for now, my Thermoworks Chef Alarm is doing well. But, it sure will be neat to get that fireboard set up with a pit viper! I love seeing all these different posts from those that use the FireBoard!

Comment

Fireboard rules! Not just their product, but their customer service is equally outstanding. Rare combo these days.

Comment

Fireboard has great cloud connectivity and their graphs and charts are boss, the ability to take notes within your cook sessions is great for remembering where you messed up or things you did right -- love mine!

Comment

Want to learn to use the vents on the cooker before I use my Fireboard and fan. Anxious to try it though.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here