Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Waterproofing Maverick Probe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waterproofing Maverick Probe

I was just wondering if you can waterproof the Maverick probe with heat shrink tubes at the joint where the cable enters the probe?

The concern is that air or moisture inside the probe will expand when heated and blow up the tubes or worse, the probe.

Comment

So far it's working pretty good. I did 4 probes and they have been in the Rec-Tec all night. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0059.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	84750

Comment

Didn't someone suggest some hi temp silicone at the joint?

Comment

It was you DW...

http://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/for...averick-probes.

Did that not work?

Comment

• DWCowles
            DWCowles commented
            Editing a comment
            FLBuckeye yes it did but the ideal of using the heat shrink tube hit me and so far so good.

• FLBuckeye
            FLBuckeye commented
            Editing a comment
            DWCowles Will be interested in seeing how it holds up long term. Please keep us posted. How did the probes with the silicone hold up?

• DWCowles
            DWCowles commented
            Editing a comment
            FLBuckeye the silicone work very well. I put the heat shrink tube on four probes yesterday and I used them on the PBs and the chuckies. The cook lasted 14 hours at 235 F and they hold up with no problems. Then I wash them with Dawn and hot water and used them with the chicken at 350 F. Work like a charm.

Ok, I took one of the probes that I had put the heat shrink tube on and let it submerge in water all night. The next morning I crank the gasser up to 500 F and put the probe in it for 1-1/2 hours. It work just fine and it didn't blowup.

Comment

Has anyone had any problems with the maverick probes failing? My grill probe just started failing - 1/2 the time it gives temp and 1/2 LLL appears. never been in water but appears to be a bit worn where the wire enters the probe. It's about 1 year old so not too pleased to have it fail. Quick internet search showed quite a few others had same problem. Maverick suggests using tinfoil around probe - anyone try that? I replaced 2 screws in my WSM with hollow grommets so can get the 2 probes in without pinching the cable so not sure why it would fail unless they are just prone to wear out. But a year seems a bit too early (although that is quite a few cooks)

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, the Maverick ET 732 & 733 probes are the weak link in the system for sure. They're like light bulbs, you never know when one will go bad, even when you take care of them. I have one that's over 3 yrs old and working fine and a have lost a few along the way after only a few months. ALWAYS a good idea to have 1 or 2 spares in a drawer for when one fails mid-cook.

I put a bit of foil around the probe/wire joint too, you can see it my cook photos. Not sure if it helps but it can't hurt.

• chudzikb
              chudzikb commented
              Editing a comment
              I had one fail for no reason, just quit, exactly as you describe. From then on, keep as spare or two to fill the gap if it develops.

I just started using the ET 735 and I bought the extra 2 probes when I ordered it. So I have 4 probes and if one goes out during a cook I've got the probe from the DigiQ Dx2 I can use too. I think I'm covered.

Comment

Thanks for replies all. I emailed Maverick and pleased to say they are sending me a replacement probe despite warranty being over. Great customer service! I've had a few different units and Maverick has been my favourite so far. I think I will pick up replacements as you suggest - mine failed mid-cook and I do like to keep a log of temps etc.

Comment

SteveL Maverick is great with customer service. They can be fast or slow with email responses, it varies, but they're very good at CS as a whole. Glad to hear you got a warranty replacement on your probe. I never thought to ask about that. I just ordered new ones when they failed.

Comment

Huskee what do you think about my ideal of using the heat shrink tube? So far it has held up with heat as high as 400 F.

Comment

• DWCowles
                    DWCowles commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Huskee I have used them three times since I put the heat shrink tubes on them no problems let. I even let two of them soak in water with Dawn overnight and they work with no problem. I don't leave the probes in when I reverse sear.
                    Last edited by DWCowles; June 2, 2015, 07:35 PM.

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    DWCowles, awesome! Great test. Has potential to be a very viable option. I haven't priced those little tubes but I'm guessing they're about a penny a piece?

• DWCowles
                    DWCowles commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Huskee I bought a pack of them from Amazon. I got the ones that were assorted colors sand sizes. I can't remember what I gave for but it wasn't much.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here