Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thermoworks Signals.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermoworks Signals.

I never thought I would find myself complaining about a Thermoworks product BUT!!!
    This Signals seems to be determined to make me a complainer.
    Bought 4 weeks ago.
    First one failed right out of the box. Would NOT even turn on. Hour trip one way back to the dealer,,hour of him horsing around with it to determine--nope it won't turn on. A begrudging exchange. And an hour trip back home.
    Second one won't stay connected for more than 10 minutes, and doesn't want to update the temps to the phone PERIOD.
    I am definitely technology challenged but my wife is very knowledgable, and my son works in the field.
    Been on the phone with Theroworks 3 times this morning, and getting kind of a runaround.
    IF they call back I plan on asking for a refund.
    I'm kind of done and just hoping to be civil if I ever do get the immediate call back i've been promised 3 times now.

I had the exact same issue with the wifi/bluetooth connectivity. Had one unit replaced from brand new. Second unit works fine but the software on the phone is still not the best for me. I've found that it's in the drawer more than I use it. I really need to call them and sort out the problem. It is rather disappointing for a TW product.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Exact same all the way around for me too, I could've typed this comment. Except I gave mine away, and I dearly hope the recipient likes it!

Just finished speaking with tech support. They are going to send me a SmokeX and refund the difference. Going to cost me shipping the Signals back to them though as they wouldn't let me take it back to the dealer and trade it in.
    Hoping the SmokeX works out a bit better.
    My son spent another 30 minutes with the tech trying to sort it out before we just called it game over and got the exchange

Comment

Ive had zero issues with my signals. Maybe im one of the lucky ones.

Comment

• Cheef
        Cheef commented
        Editing a comment
        I sure hope you are. I'm frustrated and hoping the SmokeX works better.

I own countless ThermoWorks products and am a staunch supporter sir.

Signals is by far the biggest hunk of junk I have ever owned. Keep in mind I owned a 77 Chevy Chevette bought used from the post office and converted back to left hand drive.

Comment

• BourBonQ
        BourBonQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Man, that just brought up a memory from the way back...

Sometime around 1980 my parents took 4 of us kids on a road trip to Disney World in a '77 Chevette. My buddy and I rode in the hatchback, jammed tight on top of the luggage.

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        BourBonQ That is hilarious. Wow. Not a lot of space back there with the slanted window, especially with luggage. I can completely picture that. Mine was painted fresh with bright Chevy Yellow.

• BourBonQ
        BourBonQ commented
        Editing a comment
        My dad went through 3 of those abominations.

I could never get my smoke gateway to work either, so i guess TW makes fantastic thermometers, but they don’t seem to know anything about WiFi.

Comment

Well this SmokeX better be bitchin' right out of the box. I spent way too much frustrating time trying to get the Signals to work. I kept thinking it was ME--but my wife and son are kind of good at all that hooking up wifi/bluetooth/hoodoo stuf and they were so done they wouldn't even speak with tech support when he eventually did call back. That left me talking to him and it was a short sweet conversation.

Comment

UHHH---I'm kind of afraid to ask. Does anyone own or have experience with the SmokeX?
          I'm beginning to kind of miss my $59.00 IGrill. That thing was bullet proof.
          Last edited by Cheef; April 11, 2020, 07:02 PM.

Comment

• Razor
            Razor commented
            Editing a comment
            I own both the iGrill and Signals and agree. The problem with the iGrill is the short range of Bluetooth. Unfortunately it sounds like Weber’s new ‘Hub’ thermometer is a step backwards from the original.

• Cheef
            Cheef commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes it does have a short range but it ALWAYS works.

got my X4 a couple weeks back and it's great (it's bound for campground duty when we can go back there).

Also have a signals and I've had good luck with it. only thing I dont like is the lack of audible alarm on the phone when you're not in the app.

Comment

Yeah I don’t get it but it’s beyond my pay scale.

like I said. I have many products and I LOVE them all! Love the "Dots too" I have 5 I think. I’m afraid to get any of the WiFi stuff on those.

The big and loud timer. AWESOEME too!!!

Pocket instareads... BOMB!

Maybe like a Cisco partnership or something?

ill keep buying their stuff but without WiFi. I think I’m looking at the Fireboard.

Still haven’t opened my billows yet either.

Comment

I’ve never had issues with my Smoke, aside from the range - it doesn’t like the number of walls in my house from the grill, so has dead spots. The Smoke X should not have any such issue.

I have the WiFi Gateway for my Smoke, which makes it work with the same app as the Signals. Early on I had a lot of app related issues, and had to deal with support a couple of times on it. Last cook the WiFi bridge died during an overnight cook - it has its own built in rechargeable battery. The Smoke itself, and the dedicated remote, run for seemingly years on a set of alkaline batteries.

I am over having graphs of my cooks, and know about how long things will take these days, so the WiFi feature is take it or leave it for me. If I were buying today, I would get the Smoke X4 or the Maverick XR-50. If I wanted fan control, definitely the Smoke X4, and the Billows fan.

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm with you on graphs. I hand-made some graphs when I was starting out (my teachers would be proud) then they got so repetitive I never found the desire to do it more or get a device that had graphing. I can see if you're starting out, trying to nail a specific timeframe, or see a visual on the variances between different cook temps/time, but that's just not me.

I bought a Signals about this time last year. Didn’t have much problem setting it up but there was a firmware update that came out shortly after owning it. It worked 2-3 times after it then just flat out died. Wouldn’t even turn on. Thermoworks quickly replaced it for me.

The new hardware is working great. Have has some probe issues that bug me. Supposedly I’m getting water in to them somehow. I’ve been careful cleaning them, not submerging them, but I’ve sent some back and that’s what they told me.

The current iPhone software is TERRIBLE. It’s been 4 months since the last update. They are aware of the problems and working on updates. I’m guessing by the length of time it is taking they are doing a little bit more than just squashing bugs.

Knowing what I know now I’d go for the Smoke X4. Having the app with a graph is great, but if it doesn’t work like it should then what good is it?

I wish there was a product that offered both a RF remote AND had Wi-Fi connection.

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                The Smoke Gateway add-on does, but it's limited to the original not the X4 so only 2 probes.

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                That would be the original Smoke with the Smoke Gateway. But it has the range limitations of the original Smoke, and no fan control. And I notice some glitches in their app recently - the graphs will be totally wrong in the main view, then click on them and the right graph shows. The Thermoworks app is just glitchy as all get-out, and always has been.

I have had no issues with my Signals, been using it for over 6 months now. Guess I got a lucky draw. No issues with WiFi or app. I wish the app wouldn’t close out every time my phone shuts off / sleeps.

Comment

Well things have taken another turn.
                NOW after a week of one way communications (me to them) promises broken of phone calls to be returned. Promises broken of we will do this, then changed to we will do yjat, to we will do nothing. communicated with 3 YES 3 different employees who communicated 3 different solutions.
                Now it boils down to return to vendor, or send it in for ''repair

under warranty.
                Headed back to the shop I bought it from tomorrow and see what the owner decides.
                ThermoWorks seems a bit lax in the customer service department. in fact it is kind of a cluster **** trying to keep up with who tells you what, and who decides to change what the last guy told you.
                Charlie Owens seems to be the floater in the fishbowl and guess what?
                Not allowed to speak to him.
                I would never have believed Thermo Works would be on my Chit List.
                We will see what tomorrow brings.
                Meater I would have expected this from but sure not ThermoWorks.

Comment

• HouseHomey
                  HouseHomey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wow. I am sorry for your troubles sir. That is disheartening.

• Cheef
                  Cheef commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Well like I said. All was going well with the exception of being misled by 3 reps. My problem seems to be with a fellow named Charlie Owens. he is kind of a mystery man. Throws a monkey wrench into what i've been promised by others. Have tried to talk to him on phone but he seems to be too busy to do anything except say no. Going to give him a direct call this morning if I can get through his lineup of flunkies.

• Cheef
                  Cheef commented
                  Editing a comment
                  $229.00 isn't a LOT of money but at this point I kind of get a feeling I'm donating to their research into issues they know they have.

I have a Smoke and it has worked well for 3 yrs with the exception of the probes. Have handled them carefully, but one died and another was 30 degrees high. One was replaced and I had to argue about the second. As a product designer, I have had experience with WiFi enabled products and they are not easy to design to work reliably with all of the existing hardware out there. In fact ,I avoid WiFi products for my own use such as home door locks and thermostats whenever possible.

Comment

• Cheef
                  Cheef commented
                  Editing a comment
                  i'm tight with you on the wifi. It is just kind of taking me by surprise that I have any kind of complaint about a ThermWoorks product, I have an instant read that has to be knocking on 10 years old (approximately) I liked it so much I bought a second as a back up, and both of my kids got one from me because they are such awesome devices. I guess it is back to the vendor this morning and see what he says.

• HouseHomey
                  HouseHomey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Cheef 3 Thermapens here and 4 pocket instareads just on that type. Have much more product besides. I’m with y’all on the no more WiFi from them. I need one though. I am literally on the other side of a wall from my unit. 3’ away from my cooker.

• HouseHomey
                  HouseHomey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My kitchen would be like 12’ away but with one exterior wall. Often I can’t get it to connect while in front of it.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here