Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thermopen Mk4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermopen Mk4

I currently have a Thermo-pop, and really have never had an issue with it. But, I have been eyeing up the Thermopen Mk4. Is it worth the extra money vs already owning a thermo-pop?

I've been thinking the exact same thing! I have also been wondering if there is really a difference between the Mk4 and the Classic? Besides the $20 price difference.

Comment

The Thermopen is a little faster which is nice. The Mk4 is waterproof too. Personally, my Thermopop became my indoor kitchen thermometer when I finally got my Thermopen. I don't regret buying it but really the pop is "good enough".

Comment

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        That was my thought. I would designate my Thermo pop for kitchen, and wait for one of those 25 percent off deals on the MK4 or even the original and put it in my outdoor case.

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Definitely wait for a sale. I wish Thermoworks was on Amazon or in local stores though because shipping drives the price up.

Richard, I've had a Thermo Pop that I use when our Church Men's Group does a steak fry and a Classic Thermapen for use at home and I like them both. A couple months ago I bought a MK4 and like that even more. It's extra features are well worth the extra $ IMO. Highly recommended! Good luck and always good to hear from you!

Comment

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        thank you for letting me know that you like the MK4 better then the Classic. That is good to know. I hope this finds you doing well.

Depends on your use. The numbers rotating, light, and splash proofing makes it worth it to me... but if money is an issue you will be just fine with the Pop...

My MK4 is my most used kitchen tool probably... or at least right up there ties with my knife.

Comment

I can’t compare because I don’t have a Pop. But the Pen is great. Just wait for one of the frequent sales, or open box days.

Also, get a bright color so that it is easy to find when you are looking for it.

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          I have a blue MK4, Pop, and Dot. You gotta coordinate IMO.

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          Attjack all they need now is wireless connectivity among them! :-D

• Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, I have the pop, the dot, the smoke, and the Smoke X4 … lol

I don't have a Pop but the MK4 was worth the money to me. Like Mosca said just wait for one of the sales - they have them all the time.

I noticed I had a crack on my MK4 so I hopped on chat with thermoworks support. I asked them if I the silicone cover would help keep it from spreading and keep moisture out. Since I just purchased it last year they said they could rma it and replace the cover for me free of charge. I even made sure to tell them that it was more than likely my fault it was cracked.

They sent me the RMA label from UPS and it is on its way to thermoworks for repair. I weent ahead and purchased the silicone cover to help prevent this from happening again.

Great customer service in my expreience.

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh customer service is phenomenal. I stupidly burned out a probe, and called them up and admitted it. They sent me another one and told me not to do it again.

• Rocinante
          Rocinante commented
          Editing a comment
          Their customer service is great. I recently bought a Smoke unit, only to see that it went on sale about two weeks later. I hopped on their chat and asked if I could get a refund for the sale difference. They did, no questions asked. Great company, plus they have a ton of info on their website.

I have the MK 4 and the Classic (Smoke and a infrared too). In my opinion the features of the MK4 are worth the extra money. And, like everyone said, the customer service is outstanding.

I suggest going to their website and signing up for emails, they are having sales and specials all the time (I wouldn't pay full price unless you're in a real hurry).

Comment

• Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          I already do. I also have there pop, their dot, their smoke, their smoke X4 and the billows. Just was looking for feedback on the MK4, thank you for sharing your experience.

I struggled for a few years with this very question. My ThermoPop was fine, no need to upgrade, in fact it was a big upgrade from the toy I had prior. When I finally did though, from a sale, I stopped using the ThermoPop cuz the Thermapen was just better. Not needed, you're fine with the T-pop, just better to use if you have it.

Comment

I have both and much prefer the Mk 4. It’s just nicer in pretty much every way IMO.
          I only got the ThermoPop because I was buying a few as gifts and decided to keep one for myself...
          It’s nice, and fully capable...just not quite as nice as the Mk 4. That said, it does have one advantage over the Mk 4: it can easily fit into a shirt pocket, or thermometer pocket on a chefs coat. Something the other one cannot do. It’s also much lighter.

If I owned the ThermoPop first, I’d probably ask the same questions. While the Mk 4 won’t necessarily make the Pop obsolete, it doesn’t take long to get used to the speed & accuracy. So one may reach for it less often.

Along with the update/upgrades from the Classic it has better battery life AND it uses a more common battery that’s easy to find pretty much anywhere. Waiting for a sale is a great way to save a few bucks. I also recommend the silicone boot. While it adds a bit of protection, it also adds a couple of magnets which I find quite handy.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Agree with everything here. The silicone boot' magnets allows it to stick anywhere and that's a huge convenience if you ask me!

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            Husky but you have your fabulous purple MK4 and then you put a faded white boot over it. Why don't they make colored boots?

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            Or better yet, include magnets in their Thermopens?

I'll follow the leader(s) and agree the Mk4 (and anything else Thermoworks makes) is worth every penny and is more user-friendly than the Dot (e.g., readout automatically rotates; backlight activates/deactivates automatically (I think the Dot's is programmed to go out 1 millisecond before I take my second reading)). I'd get the silicone boot as well. We have (2); one for the grill and one for the kitchen. And, as others have noted, TW customer service is outstanding.

Comment

In a word, Yes!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here