Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

suggestions for wireless thermometer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

suggestions for wireless thermometer?

My old maverick wireless is starting to show it's age. I am considering getting a new wireless thermometer. Bluetooth or wifi is what i am looking for. what has been your opinion on these?

Depending on how many channels you need the Thermoworks Smoke is great for a 2 channel but the new Smoke X4 with 4 channels and a 1 mile (or so) range is pretty awesome. I haven't used the Fireboard or Maverick or Meater but have been very happy with everything I have from Thermoworks.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      I am really enjoying the user experience of this x4 and billows.

If you need BT/WiFi and that's firm, then I'd say Fireboard or ThermoWorks Signals. If it's not really mandatory, I'd suggest Maverick XR50 or Smoke X. All four of these are 4-probe units, with the Fireboard being up to 6.

Comment

I highly recommend the Fireboard .... here’s a long running thread I started reviewing the Fireboard when I first got mine

I got a Fireboard Extreme BBQ Edition for Christmas. My wife knew I wanted one. She also, I'm pretty sure, is tired of me complaining about not having enough

Comment

I am thrilled with the Maverick XR50

Comment

I would strongly recommend something with Wi-Fi vs Bluetooth (or at least a Wi-Fi option). Wi-Fi is much more reliable and with many you can check when not even home.

Comment

I have a Weber iGrill, 4 channels with wifi.
            No the biggest or the best but serves my purpose.
            My only complaint would be the reach of the wifi, lose signal over 35 feet or so.

Comment

I have the Thermoworks Smoke & am very happy with it. Built like a tank & Thermoworks outstanding customer service.

Comment

I love my Fireboard. It was extremely easy to connect with my home wifi. The wifi connection eliminates the range problem I was having with previous BT-only devices. It seems that my favorite indoor chair was just out of reliable BT distance and I would often lose connection once I moved indoors. Not so with the Fireboard.

Comment

Happy with my Fireboard. It's expensive, but the wifi is pretty decent. And I think the folks behind it will continue to improve the software and the cloud based bits.

Comment

Here's one more vote for Fireboard

Comment

My opinion stay away from Bluetooth only devices. Bluetooth is advertised to cover 30 feet or so, real world is about half that when you go through walls, glass, etc.

Fireboard and Signals are great Wi-Fi units. To be honest the Signals mobile app is a little lacking at the moment, however talking to the fine people at Thermoworks an update is on the way to address some shortcomings and issues.

As a Signals owner I considered the Fireboard, but I liked the Signals hardware better. They seem to have a little better protection against the elements without requiring an additional purchase, and you can quickly see what all 4 probes are doing with a nice large screen. Software/App wise my nod would go to Fireboard right now, but that could change with an update. Software can be fixed for nothing (for the owner), you can't change hardware without spending $.

Signals X looks interesting with over a mile of coverage and no Wi-Fi hassle.

Comment

I've got a Smoke (the 2 channel version) and love it. But, I'd use two filters in your search.

First, how many channels do you want? 2 is fine for me, but I cook 1 thing at a time. If you cook two or more things that need different temps etc, you might want 4 channels.

Second would be price. The Fireboard looks really really nice. But it's well north of $200. If you're using what it does, not a problem. If not, the Smoke and the Maverick XR50 are under $100 and great basic options.

Comment

• Razor
                          Razor commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Good points to make. After reading your post I’d like to add a fan control feature. This is becoming more common place. You may not want or need it now, but spending a few extra $’s now to get it might be better than having to buy a whole new controller 6-12 months down the road.

• rickgregory
                          rickgregory commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yep. If someone has the money I'd go to the Fireboard, just because you spend once and get it over with.

Another vote for the Fireboard. I was a Maverick man for years, but the Fireboard app not only simplifies matters by making my phone the remote unit, but it also tracks (and saves) each cook through the entire process. On top of this, you can take notes and pictures at any time, and the app marks it accordingly. This gives you both the big picture of a specific cook as well as the details (like stalls, fuel addictions, meat rotations, spritzes, etc) at marked times. Basically, it's just a great BBQ toy as well as a tool if you're a detail dork like me.

Comment

I really enjoy my Fireboard.I have had it for over a year and they have done updates since, without issue. I love the retention of all the sessions
                          Great tool

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here