Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maverick XR50 alarm issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maverick XR50 alarm issues

This is my second time using the XR50 and the alarm does not seem to be working. To test the alarm before I walk away and do other things, I set the high alarm at 250 (upper right display) with the cooker running about 290 but no alarm. I've turned the alarm off and back on. I've tried resync although the actual temps are correctly registering on the receiver. It does not seem to want to alarm.

Ok this is weird, as I was typing this note the food probe (lower left in display) reached the high temp setting and the alarm went off. Then the cooker alarm (UR display) decided to go off. I silenced the alarm at receiver and transmitter and turned off the alarm for the lower left probe. Back to my original condition now and the cooker alarm does not seem to want to go off.

Any XR50 owners have thoughts?

My experience is this (keep in mind I'm not looking at the instructions to verify this info, just relating what happens when I use my XR50): If you turn it on with the temps out of range at the beginning - no alarm. If temps are in range then the alarm sounds when they go out of range. The grill probe I set to +/- 30 degrees of my target temperature. If the cooker is lower than my minimum at the start there is no alarm until the cooker temp reaches minimum and either drops below or exceeds the max setting.

For a brisket I set the meat probe to either default or my last setting for the low end (usually around 125) and 195-200 high end. Out of the fridge the brisket is ~35-45 degrees when I put the probe in but the alarm doesn't sound - I know I can set the probe to 30 degrees low end but I like to have it higher for the alarm later in the cook if temps drop. If while cooking the fire dies (and meat temp is over 125) and the meat temp goes below 125 the alarm will sound. When it hits 195-200 I check for doneness and stay with it until ready to pull.
    Last edited by 58limited; March 22, 2020, 10:20 AM.

Comment

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree. The alarm only seems to work when the temp is within the set range and then goes outside that range. I actually like this, because you don't have to hear the alarm for no reason.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      this is correct.

I'm kind of OCD I guess. I don't really like alarms, I set mine way out of range both low and high. My reasoning is who cares about low and when cooking I'm only interested in the high end. I tend to therefore check temps often when I'm getting up to the finish point and use a thermopen or probe to check for final doneness.

I realize that has nothing to do with your problem but I'm wondering if alarms are really that important to you?

Comment

• jerrybell
      jerrybell commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a similar thought to you on the alarms. I'm around the house during the cook but not usually near the remote display or cooker. I like to use the alarms to tell me if the pellet cooker has had a flame out or know when I'm getting close to the target temp on the meat so I can start paying more attention.

I have the opposite problem on one of my xr50 units. I have the alarm shut off at the base unit, but it keeps alarming on the receiver, and there's nothing I can do to make this one shut off. Very strange.

Comment

Thanks for the responses everyone. It seems like my issue was having the actual temperature already outside the range I was entering for the alarm set point.

I also discovered that you can have the alarms turned on at the transmitter but if you don't turn them on at the receiver it's not going to notify at the receiver. It's past noon now, I think I need a drink.
      Last edited by jerrybell; March 22, 2020, 12:52 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Glad ya figgered it out, cheers!

I use a cat. He wakes me up if I been unconscious long enough that he needs inside fer food an water. I let him in, then check on/tend to th fire.

In between, he also oft climbs up, an quite abruptly/unceremoniously/heavily treads determinedly all through my boys, before commencin to claw-fluff him a suitable restin spot, fer awhile. Needless to say, this also garners my attention. Fast-like.
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; March 22, 2020, 04:34 PM.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Even better when I'm out, is he kisses/licks my face nose eyelids lips fingers etc. Sweet Kitty Kisses from Heaven, sez I.

I am most blessed to have him in my life!

Reckon I don't miss too much, thanks to Smokey, Bless Him!
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; March 22, 2020, 04:36 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here