Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pocket IR Thermometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pocket IR Thermometer

I'm sure most of you got the email from Thermoworks this morning saying they've brought back the pocket IR thermometer and that it's only $19. I'm torn. I want an IR thermometer, but I've been drooling over the big ones on the site and patiently waiting for them to be on sale.

So, does anyone have the pocket version? Is it worth having? At only $19, I wonder if it will be accurate and if it will last.

I have a smaller one at work, different brand. It's within 1 degree of our more expensive calibrated ones. My bigger one I have at home rarely gets used for cooking, I do stupid things like measure my dogs, measure my wife, measure the wall, the TV, try to hit the random fly in the house. Probably the dumbest purchase I've ever made according to my wife, but I'll go on sprees where I randomly measure everything So for 20 bucks, heck yeah I'd buy one.

Comment

• surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL
      I’ve used mine to measure the temps on my all black car.
      I KNEW that steering wheel got crazy hot. LOL

But I mostly use it for pizza, and occasionally on my griddle.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Pizza, skillets, AC ducts when I'm tinkering with our central AC or the car. I can't seem to get it out without shooting my wife's butt...

I have the $69 model, but the pocket one intrigued me. I went online to look at it, and unless I am misunderstanding something it only measures temps up to 230F. If that is the case I am not sure why anyone would want one other than it fits in your pocket.
    Last edited by LA Pork Butt; March 17, 2020, 08:43 AM.

Comment

• Jim White
      Jim White commented
      Editing a comment
      Oooh. Thanks. I hadn't even gone to the site yet, as I was really dubious something at such a low price point would be useful. Yeah, that upper limit is a dealbreaker. I'm mainly looking for something that will give me info at temps above where I'm willing to risk my pit probe.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      We use them for surface temperatures during snow season, so our interested range is between 40 and 20 degrees, so the range on the little guy we have doesn't really matter. I'll try to find the brand but I thought it went to 300F. I know we have to use the big boy for hot mix asphalt since the placing temp is higher than what the pocket unit can do.

Are you talking about this model? If so, it measures 250 C, which is 482 Fahrenheit.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, never mind. I just saw the one you were talking about.

Thunder77 No, it's this one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	282
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	816326

Comment

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I saw that. I like the one I have. I don't really see the point of one that only measures up to 230 F.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      oops I never looked at it either, the one we have is more like what Thunder77 posted above

That Pocket IR is not for cooking, but might be good for checking for leaky insulation around windows and doors, and hot/cold spots, stuff like that. A max of 230F makes it useless for cooking or grilling.

What I use is a Maverick IR that is rebranded and sold by Grillgrates, and I like it a LOT better than the comparably priced Ryobi IR I got my son-in-law for Christmas (he asked for it specifically on his Christmas list). The Maverick IR has a max range of 1200F, which is "grate" for grilling:

https://www.grillgrate.com/maverick-...r-thermometer/

I also have one of these (for work) - very cool:

The FLIR ONE Pro helps you find invisible problems faster than ever, whether you're inspecting electrical panels, troubleshooting mechanical systems, looking for HVAC problems, or finding water damage. This FLIR ONE Pro-Series camera offers 4x the native resolution of the FLIR ONE Pro LT, for sharper image clarity that's further enhanced by the revolutionary FLIR VividIR™. Measure temperatures more than 3x higher than any FLIR ONE model—up to 400°C (752°F)—with a sensitivity that detects temperature differences down to 70 mK. Packed with powerful measurement tools, the FLIR ONE Pro will work as hard as you do.

The FLIR is for looking at products we are developing, for hot spots on displays and circuit boards, etc. It has a max of 400C/752F, and I have not thought to take it out to the grill, but I will have to do that now that I Think about it.
    Last edited by jfmorris; March 17, 2020, 08:47 AM.

Comment

I have the ThermoWorks IR-GUN-S Industrial Infrared Thermometer. Actually, I have 2 of them - one in each house. I use them constantly for cooking, though much more indoors than outdoors.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
        LA Pork Butt commented
        Editing a comment
        Me, too.

• Jim White
        Jim White commented
        Editing a comment
        That's the one I've had my eye on. Just getting impatient waiting for it to go on sale...

• surfdog
        surfdog commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep, I have the same one.

Unfortunately Jim White that one only seems to go on sale about once a year...when they clear out a bunch of "open box" stuff that aren’t normally big sellers it seems.

Still, it’s a decent 12:1 IR gun and useful for pizza stones & griddles. Crazy accurate 30-100:1 aren’t necessary for that sort of thing.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here