Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thermoworks Probes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small update. I contacted them and they sent me replacements. They arrived today. I am going to return my failed ones and they are going to look in to them and let me know why they failed. If I get word back I’ll post it here.

Comment

Asking for input from the experienced users. What is the best Bluetooth thermometer/probe?
      Thanks.

Comment

• Razor
        Razor commented
        Editing a comment
        Is there a specific reason you want Bluetooth? The range is extremely short. I would stay away from all Bluetooth only devices and go either RF or WiFi.

In the past I have loved Thermoworks products, and have purchased their products for myself and given as gifts, but I am really tired of the braided lines freying. I will be looking for a different brand to replace my Smoke in the next few months or so. I have other tempurature probes and haven't had to replace one of them. Last time I purchased new probes for my Smoke, I nicely mentioned that I would pay more for longer lasting probes if they made them. The customer service/salesman told me they had a 6 month warrantee.

Comment

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        +1 on the XR50. I have had one for awhile now and have never had a problem with it.

• MrMeat
        MrMeat commented
        Editing a comment
        I've been leaning toward Fireboard for my next smoker thermometer. It would be nice if they came out with a unit that was weatherproof, without having to have an additional box to go around it, but that won't hold me back from purchasing it.

So disappointed in Thermoworks probes and resistance to improving them.

• Razor
        Razor commented
        Editing a comment
        That was a reason in my decision to go with the Signals, however the location of my WSM has changed and that is not an issue as it was before. I also like how all information is presented on the Signals device. You can see what all 4 channels are doing with one glance. The issues I'm having with the Signals is probe life, and the iOS app is bad. It hasn't received an update in over 4 months. Look at the rating of the ThermoWorks app has, and then look at the rating of the Fireboard app.

This is off the topic of braided probes going bad, but I have a Thermoworks Thermapen (now the Classic) that is giving me fits, but mostly because my son's girlfriend, now my daughter in law, tossed it in the sink and washed it with the dishes a couple of years ago. Hint: the Thermapen Classic is NOT water proof, just water resistant. It's been giving me fits for a year or two now where it doesn't turn on when you open it every time, and I have to "work it" by opening and closing several times before it turns on. I'm just glad it has worked this long since going for a swim, and will likely replace it with the newer Thermapen Mark IV after it stops working at all.

Comment

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        Got to love that helping hand. I keep my better half away from all my grill tools just for that reason.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah klflowers gotta love those helping hands. I came in to see her pulling it out of the soapy dish water and laying it on a towel to dry, and about swallowed my tongue. I probably said a few things I shouldn't have as well.... Now I put it in my pocket or just leave it out at the grill and avoid laying it on the kitchen counters.

As it turns out one probe had water damage and one had heat damage. I’m careful with the way I run my cables but I guess it is possible one somehow went over the briquettes in my kettle. I don’t use them much in the kettle, usually only when I do stuff like potatoes, and then my fire is usually on one side. Rarely do I have a fire on both sides and food down the middle. I guess it could have happened but I really don’t remember an instance of it happening. I guess I’ll have to take their word on it.

As for the water damage, I just don’t see it. I wash and rinse the probe ends but never to the point where they are submerged. I’m talking splash level. If they can’t take that then I don’t see how they can handle the humidity of a WSM running with a water pan.

Things were going good the last three cooks until today. Following the twice smoked ham recipe I removed a probe at one point to make some adjustments. When I put the probe back in about a minute later it was reading 60° high! I tried all three inputs and same thing. Had to go and get a second probe to finish my cook.

I’ve reached my limit and can’t take this anymore. I once heard that Fireboard probes are compatible with Thermoworks controllers. Can any one confirm this?

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        I am looking around the Internet, and it appears that Thermoworks probes are the more common 10K thermistor type probe. However, since 2017 Fireboard has been shipping 100K versus 10K probes. The Fireboard unit itself can be configured for either probe resistance, but their current probes are all 100K, and won't work with Thermoworks or Maverick products.
        Last edited by jfmorris; April 13, 2020, 08:35 AM.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        I believe that Maverick uses 10K thermistor probes, so it is likely that the probes sold as replacements for the XR-50 will work with the Smoke, Signals or Smoke X. We just need someone with both a Smoke and a XR-50 to plug one of their Maverick probes into a Smoke and let us know if it works - Huskee maybe?

I have gone thru many Smoke probes and am now down to my last 2. Haven't replaced the others cuz thinking about getting a 4 or 6 port unit. Just have to decide if Wifi is really the way to go.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here