Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

iGrill2 vs Maverick vs Thermoworks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iGrill2 vs Maverick vs Thermoworks

Wanting to get a good Digital Thermometer for my smoker. I wanting to be able to keep track of both meat and cook chamber temps. From the reading and reviews I have seen it appears all have ups and downs. I would like some feedback. I need decent cord length for my probes because my smoker is a vertical offset and will be going to different places throughout it. I am considering drilling some holes in the cook chamber and using some sort of bushing to run the cords through them.

iGrill2: Pro - 4 Probes at once; Con - short range

Mavericks: Pro - Good range; Con - lots of complaints of about probe failures

Thermoworks: Pro - Good reputation and I like my thermopen; Con- limited probe connections at one time.

Thoughts/Experiences please.

I've had the same Maverick probes for almost 2 years. I will buy another Maverick ET-732 before anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
      I've had the same Maverick probes for almost 2 years. I will buy another Maverick ET-732 before anything else.
      +1 that, my oldest Mav is over 3yrs, heavy use, still using one original probe.

Comment

As far as Thermoworks is concerned, I assume you're talking about the Bluetherm. So range would be the same as IGrill2 as they're both Bluetooth. And you're talking about $239 vs. $60 (Maverick) vs. $80 (IGrill2 @ Amazon). So the Maverick + 1 replacement probe is about equal to the IGrill2 with 2 probes, and the Maverick comes with its receiver. If you want to compare apples to apples, the Maverick Et-735 is finally available. Bluetooth, 4-probe capable - for $80 at Amazon & Firecraft.

Comment

Got the iGrill 2 as a gift and have some pro's and con's.

Pros-cords are long (had my PBC and my kettle probed at the same time), 4 probes at a time, easily selectable alarms including your own limit and range alarms, very handy notifications on the latest update of Android.

Cons- cords are some metallic braid material, they get wrapped around each other easily and its like untangling christmas lights. Rubber base on probes is good for keeping track of which probe is which, but after a while they don't clean up and all look black. I think my first probe just went out after about 20 cooks.

I won't get anything with fewer than 4 probes.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
            +3 Ive had others. Alway go back to the Mavs

Comment

I'm a maverick guy. Ive had to buy new probes bc I was careless at times but that was bc I got too aggressive cleaning.

Comment

Max Good - Any chance you'll be getting the ET-735 to review? Would really like to know how the Bluetooth 4.0 range.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                  Jerod Broussard commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Somewhere I thought I read about 25 ft. Main site comment, that's where.

• Max Good
                  Max Good commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm checking with Bill McGrath who does our thermometer reviews.

• Bill McGrath
                  Bill McGrath commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have a Maverick ET-735 in my drawer awaiting an opportunity to complete tests. I'm currently swamped, with a backlog of work for one of my clients and also designing the solar system for our community. Stay tuned; I'll eventually get it done.

Most Maverick probe failures are improper handling.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, will the Thermoworks Pro-Series probes work with the Maverick ET-732 and/or ET-733? From the pictures they look to have a similar plug.

Comment

Meathead did post on FB today that Thermoworks is having a 15% off sale.

Comment

I have both iGrill and Maverick and I like them both.

Maverick is definitely cheaper and easier to find replacement probes for. Very reliable.

iGrill is nice but the biggest con for me is that you have to keep turning your phone screen on/unlocking it to see the temp where with the Maverick the display is always on and you can quickly glance at it to see the temps. Although the iGrill does have a nice temperature logging feature. I can easily look back and see a graph of the temperature over the duration of the cook.

Comment

• _John_
                        _John_ commented
                        Editing a comment
                        What phone do you have? The newest update on Android shows the temps in nice bubbles on your lock screen.

Mavericks for me. Just put high temp silicone where the wire meets the probe. That solved all problems that I've had with my Mavs. I have three different models of Mavericks, and like Huskee, my oldest one is over 3 years and I still use it.

Comment

I have my Maverick & my Thermopen it's all good

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here