Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XR-50 or Smoke?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have both. There are several reviews on each. I prefer the Smoke if I’m doing a single roast or item. You can mute the base station which can’t be done on the XR. The XR does have a better range and for smoking multiple birds or items the extra probes are handy. It really depends on how you cook and how far away you’ll be. Either one is a great product.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Great comparison of the two, totally agree. One flaw of the XR50 is not being able to mute the base unit. And to pick nits, not being to adjust alarm values on the receiver like on the older ET732. If I'm taking a nap next to the receiver and the alarm goes off, I could readjust it 10 deg higher and fall back asleep. Can't do that w/ the XR50 or Smoke. Not lazy-man-compliant.

I got the Smoke and it has been great. I compared both thermometers on price, functions, and parts, and it was Customer Service that sold me. I tried calling Thermoworks a couple times, late in the day and they always answered, were very pleasant, and right. Maverick I could never get in touch with, and I tried three times. And as snowswamp mentioned, you can mute the base unit, which made my neighbors happy
    Last edited by DesertRaider; January 25, 2020, 10:31 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Also great points!

Thought this thread was appropriate for this info --

Smoke is on a 30% off sale -- $69.30 -- for a limited time. And a 50% off sale for the Smoke Gateway thingie.

Comment

I love the Smoke. It's very well constructed and the black and white display is superb. I've also found their customer support to be terrific. Accidentally used a probe at too high a temperature (700) and they replaced it at no cost.

Haven't tried the WiFi yet, but tempted. I find the range of the basic unit and remote to be excellent.

Comment

I have the Smoke and I love it. Like all of their products, it is incredibly well built. Mine has fallen off the grilling table onto the concrete below and it is just fine.

Comment

• DesertRaider
          DesertRaider commented
          Editing a comment
          When something passses the gravity test, you know it's good

Ok, it was a tossup... but... I ordered the Smoke just now. A couple of reasons... First, I'm rarely more than 50-70 feet from the cooker so extreme range isn't an issue for me. Second, it seemed kind of a tossup here (though I nearly got the XR50 with all the early positive feedback on it). Third... it was $20 cheaper right now, but had the option for me to add the wifi thing in the future if I want. I didn't do the wifi thing now because unless I can control it that way I don't see a lot of value in knowing what the temp is when I'm out.

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Good choice. Knowing what the temp is while I am out running errands let’s me know if the fire died, or the meat is almost done, so I can plan accordingly. I only use the WiFi for long brisket or butt cooks though.

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          yeah, I *can* see some utility to knowing what's up if I'm out running errands and I might add the wifi at some point... but my long cooks are pork butts etc which are usually ~8 hours or so.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Not a bad choice to be made, both great units. You scored a good sale, so congrats!

ecks-ray romeo dash fi-yiv ze-ro...

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          Roger that bone daddy

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          410, Firebase BoneDaddy, Fwd, out. texastweeter

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          'Bone Daddy' lol. Reminds me of 'P Diddy'

Love my maverick. Can't think of anything I wish it did that I'd doesn't already (related to BBQ...).

Comment

Big fan of the xr-50. If mine died today I would buy another

Comment

I bought a XR-50 and then bought a second one. I also bought a set of the probes with 6 foot cables to use on my pig cooker...

Comment

I have both and I let them fight it out cock ring style. It was a bloody mess but in the end Smoke won the fight but Maverick won the war (whatever that means). Anyway I threw them both back in the drawer and always rely on my Fireboard. Here's a quick photo of said fight shortly afterwards.....

Comment

• Loren
                Loren commented
                Editing a comment
                Er....perhaps cockfight is the term you were looking for?
                😁🤣

• DesertRaider
                DesertRaider commented
                Editing a comment
                Loren, or it could be TMI.

• DesertRaider
                DesertRaider commented
                Editing a comment
                Troutman, weren't Goose and Maverick partners and Iceman was the rival?

I have an Xr-50 and I like it, the range is flabbergastingly long.

The Maverick probes don't feel as quality as the Thermoworks probes (I might have a few Dot's in my kitchen). The Thermoworks probes feel more robust. I usually use two probes for cooks (I have a 22" Weber) so the extra two probes are a "meh" factor for me.

The XR-50 is very sturdy - I've dropped it on concrete a few times and you can't tell.

Either one will be good. Or maybe you should buy both! Then you'll have six probes!! 😱😏

Comment

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                I use the extra probes when cooking something like multiple steaks or chops so one doesn't sneak up in temp when you're not looking.

• Loren
                Loren commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh I should have clarified, I don't cook a lot of steaks or chops. Mainly just roasts, wibs, shoulders and briskets.

The Maverick definitely has a leg up on the Smoke for mass grilling/smoking!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here