Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XR-50 or Smoke?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XR-50 or Smoke?

So with the Thermoworks Smoke on sale it's actually a little cheaper than the XR-50 but they're in the same basic under $100 price range which is where I want to keep this.

NEEDS: 2 probes are a must have. Being able to add more is slight plus, but not something I'll use much. Recording isn't a thing for me (I'd like to do it but the units that offer this are way over $100). Water resistance would be nice (hi, I live in Seattle... rain is a thing here)

Fireboard is out since my current setup is really basic (22" Weber + SNS) and it feels like overkill for how often I do long cooks.

So... if it's Smoke or XR-50, which should I get? Or is there another unit in that range I should get instead.
    Last edited by rickgregory; January 26, 2020, 02:08 AM.

Well, the main thing going for the Smoke is the option to add wifi capability down the road with the Smoke Gateway (also on sale). I use that not so much for the graphs as for the ability to monitor the cook when I leave the house or am past range of the remote. If that is never gonna be on your wish list, the XR-50 is probably the way to go. I think it has a little more range out of the box than the Smoke, and you might add more probes down the road.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      And as I mention often I use a $19 webcam to add wifi capability. However, I am under the roof of the outdoor kitchen so the camera doesn't get wet. I love the range of the XR-50. No experience with the smoke.

I have the xr50 and i love it. The unit is not waterproof though, i put it in a ziplock bag when it rains. No problems yet.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      it is water resistant as long as you have all 4 probes plugged in. I love mine

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      texastweeter I didn’t know that. I guess I didn’t read the instructions, just checked the calibration and started using it.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I'm had mine all wet. No issues.

My XR-50 has been chugging along and doing a great job since they first came out (I'm currently using the replacement unit the company sent out after a quality issue with the initial batch). It is supposed to be water resistant, but that is with all the probes inserted, I believe. I do the ziplock bag thing also, just in case. The XR-50 doesn't try to do too much, but is really good and reliable at what it does do, so that's fine with me.
    Last edited by Steve R.; January 25, 2020, 01:46 PM.

Comment

I have the XR50 and love it. Even with an 18" cook surface on my kamado, I often use all four probes - I have a multi level cook rack or I just want a temp from various places on the single level cook surface. Mine has been rained on a couple of times with no issues. SE Texas gets a lot of rain.

Comment

I use the XR-50 mainly. The Smoke gets some use but in a loooong house its range is pathetic when compared to the XR-50.

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, Smoke range sucks in my house. Won’t work in my bedroom so I use the gateway and iPhone app to get alarms on overnight cooks.

My vote is hands down the Maverick. Googling it shows a website offering it for $72. There's another one from China offering it for $39.99+$4.95 shipping, but I am leery of that what with knockoffs and slow or non-existent shipping and all those risks. But still, even at $80-90 to me it's worth it. Solid build quality, 4 probes, and kickstands and magnets on both the transmitter and the receiver, something the Smoke receiver sorely lacks.

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Doesn't take much to knock it down either.

Bill McGrath agrees: https://amazingribs.com/thermometers...mometer-review

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah I've never noticed it to be a problem. I think the addition of the hooks, magnet, and variable kickstand on both units far outweighs any flimsiness, but like I say we all have different needs. My base unit is usually stuck to the lower, cooler part of my cookers via magnet, and the receiver sits there mighty fine on my desk or nightstand. Attjack Steve R.

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Mine folds like a deck of cards.

Curious -- would the probes for the Smoke also work with the XR-50? I have several Thermoworks temp monitors already, but I have to say the XR-50 sure looks nice. It would be nice to have the flexibility to mix and match on the probes.

Comment

• snowswamp
          snowswamp commented
          Editing a comment
          No. I have both thermometers and they are not interchangeable.

IowaGirl, my take is yes. There are 2 types of probes, sorry don't know the names, but the difference is the connection. I have Thermoworks DOT and Smoke. I say they could be used in similar such as XR-50. I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will point it out.

Comment

• IowaGirl
          IowaGirl commented
          Editing a comment
          Smoke, DOT, ChefAlarm all use thermistor probes with a single-prong connector that looks a lot like the connector for a set of earbuds. This is what I've got too. The XR-50 probes look similar to these, but it's hard to know if they're interchangeable.

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Probes ARE NOT interchangeable between the two brands unless you have a way to adapt the plug ends.

I don’t have either of those...but do have several Thermoworks products.
        And I mean SEVERAL. LOL

Their reliability is generally top notch...and if something does happen to go wrong...their customer service is outstanding.

Comment

IowaGirl RichieB No they won't. In fact, XR-50's probes won't even work on other Maverick therms like the old classic ET-732. Each maker uses a different plug. All Thermoworks' probes are interchangeable on their devices though; Smoke, Signals, Chef Alarm, DOT, etc.

Comment

I have the signals. I’m partial to ThermoWorks but... dang if that WiFi keeps disconnecting.

I almost over it and gonna toss it along with the billows which I haven’t opened.

But I do love ThermoWorks. So I say Smoke since it’s your money.

Comment

I have both. Haven’t used the Smoke since I got my XR50. Maybe I should sell it.

Comment

@rickgregory Go to overstock.com and sign up for their email and they will send you coupon codes from 18% to 21% in my experience. Use that to buy the XR-50 at a discounted price.

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I forgot about that, duh! I picked one up with that deal couple months ago, I wanna say $64ish? Thanks for the reminder.

• Attjack
                  Attjack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, I bought one and liked it so much I bought one as a gift for a buddy. I think I paid $65 and $67.

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yea I bought 5 units at Christmas; gave two as presents, sold two outright and kept one. Great deal !!

Thanks Huskee for the correction. Sounds like the XR50 wins. I have Smoke and DOT. Happpy with both. I don't need WIFI and I'm within 50 ft. most the time. I'll stick with what I have even though I tingle a bit (MCS) reading the responses. I'll focus. I'm ready to measure and order Grill Grates. Shh, don't tell my wife. A few other items are on my radar as we get closer to spring. I'll update as the season gets closer and the illness increases.

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm with you. I too am fairly close and I don't really leave when cooking so WiFi is not a need of mine. I have a Signals but I find using my phone w/ Bluetooth to be not my thing. I prefer a dedicated receiver myself. And XR50's range is outstanding.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here