Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

maverick reading different than thermopen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

maverick reading different than thermopen

So I smoked a whole chicken for the first time a couple of weeks ago (simon and garfunkel - it was amazing). when my maverick read 162 for the chicken i wanted to make sure that my chicken was done since this is my first time. i poked a few points with my thermopen instant read and i was shocked! when i poked at places i was getting temps that was up to 15 degrees different from my maverick! my thermopen was reading 195 in the legs and 175 in the breast. i understand that the legs and wings and thighs will be a bit hotter than the breast since they are thinner but the breast reading was 15 degrees off. is there that big of a difference between what i would consider slight changes in meat depth or should i check my thermometers for accuracy? which part of the thermopen should i consider the part that actually gathers the temperature? is it the tiny point or the point at which it thickens?

Stick em in boiling water, check the reading.

Comment

Try the water test. In my experience, the Thermapen is the end all in temp probes. I would put my money on the Mavrick being off. I've had some problems with my Mavericks. Like Ernest said, Give them the water test.

Comment

Ditto what Ernest said. My Mavericks are a couple degrees off, but my thermapen is spot on. I'm sure part of the variation is also due to the different temps each part of the chicken were exposed to and the varying thicknesses of the meat. Always a good idea to take temps in multiple areas to have an idea of how the entire piece/chunk of meat is progressing.

Comment

i'll do the boiling water test and figure out what is going on

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here